iPod - home screen shows Album/Genre instead of Track/Artist

I recently purchased a 2011 Ford Edge Limited with myford Touch (v3.0.2). So, far, I absolutely love all the features and everything has worked perfectly. There's one little thing that is driving me nuts, however...

When I plug in my iPod classic (85GB of music), it indexes just fine in about 5 minutes and all ID3 info for each song is there. But when I'm playing a song, the home screen shows the Genre/Album instead of the Track/Artist (like it does when I play music from my BT connected iPhone). I know all the ID3 tags are correct because I can go into the 'more info' section and see all the correct info. I've tried re-indexing and factory reset but neither fixed the problem.

So, does ANYONE know how to modify what info the home screen displays? I would think this would be a very simple option somewhere in the system but I can't find it. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

So I called and talked to Ford support today... they were absolutely no help. They told me to perform a 'soft' reset of the ipod. Then they had me do another master reset of the myford touch system. Neither fixed the problem. Then he asked me to copy all the songs from the ipod to a USB drive and see if that fixes it?!?!?! Anyone that knows anything about iTunes and iPods knows that's not possible. Besides, I have songs from the same iTunes library on my iPhone that diplays artist/album just fine over BT. So frustrating!

They claim that no one has reported and issue like this before. Anyone else have any ideas?

So I exported from itunes to a USB drive and had the same problem... I also just tried using some MP3s that have never been associated with itunes at all. Same problem.

Interestingly, when my iPhone is connected via bluetooth, the track and artist display normally, but if I disconnect the bluetooth and plug the same iPhone into the USB and let it index, it displays Genre and Album!! So frustrating! So I guess it has to do with the USB media settings. It's almost like someone changed USB to display Genre/Album in an old version of MFT (when that was still an option) and now that it's not an option anymore, it won't reset even with a master reset.

It won't make any difference where you play the files from. They're assigning the info to those fields from the MP3 tags which are stored in the very beginning of a MP3 file in what is called a header. The TAG info is arranged a specific way. (boring details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3#Layout) and I honestly do not think they gave it any thought what so ever ... I'm serious when I say that I think they just randomly grabbed data and assigned it to those fields. I don't know, maybe thinking no one would notice or look at it ???

Thanks for the response Tacyon. So if what you say is true, shouldn't EVERYONE with MFT have the same problem? Does your MFT display Genre/Album on the home screen when playing from USB? Ford claims that no one has ever reported a similar problem...

I have no doubt that they just randomly grabbed data and assigned it to those fields, but why not make the damn fields editable?!?

yep .. and it drives me nuts ... because I know its a screw up or just short shortsightedness.

To a bit lesser degree due to the differences in bluetooth protocols and the lack of a single standard, the same holds true for BT from my DroidX to the Sony MFT system. Only there its a case of no info. Sound only ...

Thanks for the response Tacyon. So if what you say is true, shouldn't EVERYONE with MFT have the same problem? Does your MFT display Genre/Album on the home screen when playing from USB? Ford claims that no one has ever reported a similar problem...

I have no doubt that they just randomly grabbed data and assigned it to those fields, but why not make the damn fields editable?!?

My home screen shows song/artist when I have my iPod playing connected via USB. Just for comparisons sake, I also have a 2011 Limited.

I just chatted with support again to see if I could get some different answers. Looks like it's as I suspected. Somehow the settings got changed to display Genre/Album in an old version of MFT (when that was still an option) and now that it's not an option anymore. We are SOL.

Here's my chat transcript with DeAndre from earlier today:

DeAndre: Thank you for contacting the Ford & Lincoln-Mercury SYNC Support Center.

How may I assist you?

JR: Hello - I own a 2011 Ford Edge Limited with myTouch and use an iPod classic via USB. My issue is that no matter what device I plug int the USB, the home screen and Entertainment main screen displays the Genre & Album instead of the Track & Artist of the song that is playing

JR: How can I get it to display track/artist instead of Genre/Album

JR: I've verified that all the ID3 tags are correct and they show up correctly when you select the "more info" option

DeAndre: No, that feature is no longer available since the performance upgrade.

JR: so there's no way to change it?

DeAndre: No there is not.

JR: Can I request that the feature be added back in a future software release?

JR: It drives me nuts

DeAndre: I will submit your customer feedback.

JR: Can you tell me if others have complained about this lack of a feature?

DeAndre: Some people have not a lot that we no of though.

JR: OK. Thanks

they really could make it so much easier on themselves (and us) if they had a few computer geeks in house. There are tons of free PC apps that do all of what we're talking about here. 1/10th of those ideas incorporated into MFT could make it a better system.

I also noticed on my MFT that when you have the genre/album displaying on the main screen .. if you press the left arrow on the right steering wheel pad and look at the right hand display, you'll see your track/artist info .. kind of stupid to me to have to look at one screen for part of the info and another for the rest. But I can see how a automotive engineer might think that makes sense.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

they really could make it so much easier on themselves (and us) if they had a few computer geeks in house. There are tons of free PC apps that do all of what we're talking about here. 1/10th of those ideas incorporated into MFT could make it a better system.

I also noticed on my MFT that when you have the genre/album displaying on the main screen .. if you press the left arrow on the right steering wheel pad and look at the right hand display, you'll see your track/artist info .. kind of stupid to me to have to look at one screen for part of the info and another for the rest. But I can see how a automotive engineer might think that makes sense.

I'm having this problem and it's driving me nuts. :(

• 3 weeks later...

This is almost as annoying as my "Unknown File/Unknown Artist" that I get on the main screen. What's funny to me is that we have Gracenote in MFT but it's virtually useless because it's not working. However, the title of the song and artist shows up on the right gauge panel.

This is the problem I'm having on my 2011 as well. Very frustrating. Displays music from usb pen just fine but not from my nano...just Unknown. :(