2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

akirby

They should be able to get it to work with those specs. While my phone is way faster, Sync/MFT doesn't have the burden of fancy animations nor 720p video. Don't get me wrong, a stronger more modern chip would be great and wouldn't have cost much more at this scale.

Not sure I agree there. I am a systems admin for a video game company that is very frugal so I am use to having to make do. While i would have no problem using a 600mhz processor with 512 of ram in a server that handles 100's of users aday there is no way I would run a GUI on it. The overhead for that would be a killer in such a system. The slowness as reported by alot of sync users is due to that proc being over worked. Its not a stand alone video processor so all the work that gets done and is reported back to the end user (changing music tracks moving back and forth between modules) is coming from the CPU in addition to the processing work that the commands require. Hell a 1gig P4 would have been the better choice and cheaper.

Not saying that you are wrong in your post just a disagreement from the sharp edge of the sword.

I am having trouble playing video through the AV input. I have tried a portable DVD player, a Kodak Playsport camera, and a Panasonic still cam. I have the car turned on to accessories (not running) and connected the RCA cables appropriately. I get audio, but no video. I have not tried to play video with the parking brake engaged. Does it need to be engaged for video to work? I have a 2011 Ford Edge Limited without Navigation. I have no idea what software I am running because sync my ride website is down.

I am having trouble playing video through the AV input. I have tried a portable DVD player, a Kodak Playsport camera, and a Panasonic still cam. I have the car turned on to accessories (not running) and connected the RCA cables appropriately. I get audio, but no video. I have not tried to play video with the parking brake engaged. Does it need to be engaged for video to work? I have a 2011 Ford Edge Limited without Navigation. I have no idea what software I am running because sync my ride website is down.

Simple enough... Try applying the P Brake

I'm new here and have been reading all the posts about Ford notifying customers about updates. Not sure how I feel about that as I'm a fairly new owner and my dealership has kept me informed. However, if notifications need to be made, what's wrong with email? I assume most of the customers who purchase cars with systems like this are at least a little into technology and therefore are more likely than most to possess an email account. And it's pretty easy to hire someone to manage your email communications. Just a thought.

However, that being said, where DO I go to find out about updates? I am reading about all of you who know what version your software is and I don't even know how to find that. :-) I have been to and signed in to syncmyride.com but that appears to be quite a clumsy and difficult-to-navigate site. Or is that just me? I do agree with the folks who state that we pay a good price (in fact a premium price) to have this technology and that should count for something. Ford needs to be aware that they are answerable to us, even if the answer is 'we screwed up and we don't know how to fix it'. I'd at least rather hear that than what I'm reading on this forum.

I just had my whole system, MFT and Sync, go completely out, so believe me, I understand this frustration. What bothers me is that I have a great service advisor who keeps up to date on these systems and he didn't know what had gone wrong. He has called the Ford "hot line" but hasn't gotten an answer yet. I'm calling it the "lukewarm line." :-) But at least I know he'll perservere till he finds an answer.

Thanks for any help you can give a newbie and good luck with solving all your problems! :-)

Cluelass8

I'm new here and have been reading all the posts about Ford notifying customers about updates. Not sure how I feel about that as I'm a fairly new owner and my dealership has kept me informed. However, if notifications need to be made, what's wrong with email? I assume most of the customers who purchase cars with systems like this are at least a little into technology and therefore are more likely than most to possess an email account. And it's pretty easy to hire someone to manage your email communications. Just a thought.

However, that being said, where DO I go to find out about updates? I am reading about all of you who know what version your software is and I don't even know how to find that. :-) I have been to and signed in to syncmyride.com but that appears to be quite a clumsy and difficult-to-navigate site. Or is that just me? I do agree with the folks who state that we pay a good price (in fact a premium price) to have this technology and that should count for something. Ford needs to be aware that they are answerable to us, even if the answer is 'we screwed up and we don't know how to fix it'. I'd at least rather hear that than what I'm reading on this forum.

I just had my whole system, MFT and Sync, go completely out, so believe me, I understand this frustration. What bothers me is that I have a great service advisor who keeps up to date on these systems and he didn't know what had gone wrong. He has called the Ford "hot line" but hasn't gotten an answer yet. I'm calling it the "lukewarm line." :-) But at least I know he'll perservere till he finds an answer.

Thanks for any help you can give a newbie and good luck with solving all your problems! :-)

Cluelass8

First, login into sysncmyride.com and choose the menu, Update and Customize.

Next, download the Sync Status Tool Checker to a USB drive plus follow the instructions on the website to run the utility in your car. You'll need a version history uploaded to syncmyride.

I've never seen any updates appear on the Update link, but instead hear about updates from people here or when I go to the dealer.

Also, just found a link re: Sirius Voice Command Channel selection update in the Sync communities. Nope, trying the update in the morning.

Wondering if anyone else has seen this.. I got the 2.8 install a few weeks ago. I always keep my ipod connected. When first connected it will index the music and then build the media commands. But it seems like it never finishes building the media commands. I keep about 3 gigs of music on my ipod it indexed pretty fast but here we are 2 weeks later and its still building media commands. I also notice that when I turn the car off come back later while the song resumes where it left off it starts my playlist over again. IE if i was listing to song 34 of 680 when i start the car back up its the display shows song 1 of 680. Its a bit wierd. Has anyone else seen this type of behavior with the 2.8?

Wondering if anyone else has seen this.. I got the 2.8 install a few weeks ago. I always keep my ipod connected. When first connected it will index the music and then build the media commands. But it seems like it never finishes building the media commands. I keep about 3 gigs of music on my ipod it indexed pretty fast but here we are 2 weeks later and its still building media commands. I also notice that when I turn the car off come back later while the song resumes where it left off it starts my playlist over again. IE if i was listing to song 34 of 680 when i start the car back up its the display shows song 1 of 680. Its a bit wierd. Has anyone else seen this type of behavior with the 2.8?

I have 2.8 and my index speed was OK. I get the same thing when restarting the car: Same song but 1 of playlist. That doesn't bother me at all,as it is in shuffle mode and will get through them all eventually anyway.

I am documenting problems and from what the dealer has said, iPods are causing problems. This seems to be the case as I have not had iPod touch connected in a few days and have had no problems. What i may do is connect iPod through audio inputs, not USB so it does not respond to voice commands and does not really use MFT resources like a USB connection

I have 2.8 and my index speed was OK. I get the same thing when restarting the car: Same song but 1 of playlist. That doesn't bother me at all,as it is in shuffle mode and will get through them all eventually anyway.

I am documenting problems and from what the dealer has said, iPods are causing problems. This seems to be the case as I have not had iPod touch connected in a few days and have had no problems. What i may do is connect iPod through audio inputs, not USB so it does not respond to voice commands and does not really use MFT resources like a USB connection

I typically do a shuffle too. Drives my wife crazy how I can go from country to pop. At least I am not the only one seeing this problem.

Not sure I agree there. I am a systems admin for a video game company that is very frugal so I am use to having to make do. While i would have no problem using a 600mhz processor with 512 of ram in a server that handles 100's of users aday there is no way I would run a GUI on it. The overhead for that would be a killer in such a system. The slowness as reported by alot of sync users is due to that proc being over worked. Its not a stand alone video processor so all the work that gets done and is reported back to the end user (changing music tracks moving back and forth between modules) is coming from the CPU in addition to the processing work that the commands require. Hell a 1gig P4 would have been the better choice and cheaper.

Not saying that you are wrong in your post just a disagreement from the sharp edge of the sword.

The hardware is not the problem when it comes to performance. I'm in a fortunate position that means I know a bit about both the hardware and software in MyFord Touch (plus I've done some other research too...).

The processor used is specifically designed for what its being used for - its perfect in fact. If anyone is interested in the specs please see this datasheet: http://cache.freescale.com/files/dsp/doc/data_sheet/IMX51AEC.pdf?pspll=1

I would like to quote this section:

"Powerful Graphics Acceleration—The i.MX51A processor has an integrated Graphics Processing

Unit which includes an OpenGl 2.0 GPU that provides 27Mtri/sec, 166Mpix/s, and 664Mpix/s

z-plane performance. Silicon version 2.0 of the i.MX51A device includes an independent OpenVG

GPU operating at166Mpix/s."

Now to most of you that won't mean much but lets keep it simple: MyFord Touch does not output "HD quality" images or video and therefore the demands on a graphics chipset is lower than this processors capabilities overall.

The biggest issue that Ford face is a user interface that has been bolted onto a previous generation of Microsoft Auto. Adobe Flash Lite was designed to be used for Windows CE, it just happens to sit on top of Auto too as that is also built on top of Windows CE. Its actually a subset of CE.

Fact: Adobe Flash on any embedded platform is not wonderful. Just check out the latest and greatest smartphones today (excluding the iPhone here becuase Apple just won't allow Flash on that device... read into that what you will). Not many of the latest devices even cope with Flash well and they are on the bleeding edge of technology. Ford can't use the bleeding edge of technology in the car. They need reliable (I know, there's a joke here somewhere), capable and proven technology before they put it into the car. They need something that withstands harsher temperatures than your phone and things like that. Adobe Flash (lite or not) will not cut it and it impacts the whole system today.

I hear rumors of the PST (Microsoft Partner Solution Team) working with BSquare and Ford to iron out some of these problems but I don't think that there will be big progress until we move from Auto 4 to Windows Embedded Automotive 7. Think of it like moving from Windows Vista to Windows 7. Microsoft used to have 2 "different" Auto platforms (Auto 4.1 and Automotive 5.5). 5.5 wasn't an upgrade of 4 - it was different. With 7 they combined parts from both of them and built it on top of their latest embedded platform.

I really hope that we see the fruits of the work going on right now soon. On Feb 6 2011 investment in the "Ford Telematics Competency Center" was doubled - this means we should see faster and better software from BSquare (the people that build MFT for Ford).

Here's hoping! :-)

• Like 1

The hardware is not the problem when it comes to performance. I'm in a fortunate position that means I know a bit about both the hardware and software in MyFord Touch (plus I've done some other research too...).

The processor used is specifically designed for what its being used for - its perfect in fact. If anyone is interested in the specs please see this datasheet: http://cache.freescale.com/files/dsp/doc/data_sheet/IMX51AEC.pdf?pspll=1

"Powerful Graphics Acceleration—The i.MX51A processor has an integrated Graphics Processing

Unit which includes an OpenGl 2.0 GPU that provides 27Mtri/sec, 166Mpix/s, and 664Mpix/s

z-plane performance. Silicon version 2.0 of the i.MX51A device includes an independent OpenVG

Now to most of you that won't mean much but lets keep it simple: MyFord Touch does not output "HD quality" images or video and therefore the demands on a graphics chipset is lower than this processors capabilities overall.

The biggest issue that Ford face is a user interface that has been bolted onto a previous generation of Microsoft Auto. Adobe Flash Lite was designed to be used for Windows CE, it just happens to sit on top of Auto too as that is also built on top of Windows CE. Its actually a subset of CE.

Fact: Adobe Flash on any embedded platform is not wonderful. Just check out the latest and greatest smartphones today (excluding the iPhone here becuase Apple just won't allow Flash on that device... read into that what you will). Not many of the latest devices even cope with Flash well and they are on the bleeding edge of technology. Ford can't use the bleeding edge of technology in the car. They need reliable (I know, there's a joke here somewhere), capable and proven technology before they put it into the car. They need something that withstands harsher temperatures than your phone and things like that. Adobe Flash (lite or not) will not cut it and it impacts the whole system today.

I hear rumors of the PST (Microsoft Partner Solution Team) working with BSquare and Ford to iron out some of these problems but I don't think that there will be big progress until we move from Auto 4 to Windows Embedded Automotive 7. Think of it like moving from Windows Vista to Windows 7. Microsoft used to have 2 "different" Auto platforms (Auto 4.1 and Automotive 5.5). 5.5 wasn't an upgrade of 4 - it was different. With 7 they combined parts from both of them and built it on top of their latest embedded platform.

I really hope that we see the fruits of the work going on right now soon. On Feb 6 2011 investment in the "Ford Telematics Competency Center" was doubled - this means we should see faster and better software from BSquare (the people that build MFT for Ford).

Thank you for the explanation and that glimmer of hope :)

The report I saw said Bsquare was out and Ford was rewriting the software in house with lots of help from Microsoft and the new version would be backwards compatible with current hardware. Not sure about the OS upgrade though.

am running1.8 on 2011 edge sport built in October.stop ship was put on this vehicle with the initial mft problems.

just got a letter from ford canada asking me to come in to upgrade to 2.8.they are giving customers a car detailing and if necessary a courtesy vehicle.

My system runs pretty well bug free,only pulled the fuse once after the upgrade screen.was told if its not that bad dont upgrade to 2.8

it'll only make it more buggy.the newer version to come out with the 2012 models in summer has proven to be very stable and much improved.

so if you can wait till later in summer then go for the fix.

• Like 1

was told if its not that bad dont upgrade to 2.8

it'll only make it more buggy.the newer version to come out with the 2012 models in summer has proven to be very stable and much improved.

THAT'S the kind of info i am looking for.. (I'm on 2.4)

Edited by jackson5

am running1.8 on 2011 edge sport built in October.stop ship was put on this vehicle with the initial mft problems.

just got a letter from ford canada asking me to come in to upgrade to 2.8.they are giving customers a car detailing and if necessary a courtesy vehicle.

My system runs pretty well bug free,only pulled the fuse once after the upgrade screen.was told if its not that bad dont upgrade to 2.8

I am still on 1.8 also. Got mine last September. My service center keeps telling me to wait if not having major problems. Mine only one is the screen staying on if you don't lock the doors. I can live with that one a while longer.

Had my 2011 Ford Edge for about a month. The Sync/MFT software version is V2.7. Have all sorts of troubles that include : Radio turns on if you use any Sync function, clock changes time intermittently , " where am I " reports a Longitude that is 75 miles to the east , sirus browse function takes minutes to load ( if ever ) and if you access it again , it resets itself and starts the " loading" process all over.

I'm told that TSB 110418 resolves most of these problems ( and a lot more ) , however when I went to Ford dealership , their computer system told them that this TSB has been " withdrawn" and is not available for the 2011 Ford Edge.... Well , calling Ford Tech. Support again.... they told me that they had major DataBase problems and that TSB 110418 ( which includes upgrade to V2.8) needed to be installed however they needed to fix the DB problems first... Called them today and the problem is sill not resolved ....... WOW , I really like my 2010 Fusion Nag and SYNC system , but this new software is really buggy !!!!

ANYONE HAVE INFO ON WHAT TSB 110418 AND V2.8 FIXES.. MOST DECENT COMPANYS PROVIDE REVISION SUMMARYS !!!!! :rant2:

Well , calling Ford Tech. Support again.... they told me that they had major DataBase problems and that TSB 110418 ( which includes upgrade to V2.8) needed to be installed however they needed to fix the DB problems first... Called them today and the problem is sill not resolved ....... WOW , I really like my 2010 Fusion Nag and SYNC system , but this new software is really buggy !!!!

Brought my 2011 Edge in for it's 5th update last week and the dealer service manager called me at the end of the day to come pick up my car. It wasn't going to get fixed. The response I got from yet another new service manager was that their Sync guy had problems. I pressed for details and he said the Ford internet was down. I knew then that I was being hosed. I told him to keep the car until it was fixed. He refused saying that the car runs and they can't find anything wrong and after some more haggling, he admitted that Ford had recalled the update and their Sync guy was only there two days a week. When I picked up the car, he told me to call every morning at 700AM to see if the Sync guy was there for the day and if Ford had another update. After this many trips to the dealer either without a loaner or a piece of crap when I'm paying dearly for their touted technology in a Limited Edge, it's time for a change. I'm going to drop off my car as soon as the problem redevelops, and leave it there until it is fixed. We should all do the same. Imagine thousands of Ford vehicle left at the dealers for a Sync fix that is will not come anytime soon. Then an attorney presents them with a class action suit for this debacle. I'll be happy to take back my money and go buy a replacement from a competitor. We've been sold a bag of goods. Sync Sucks.

Brought my 2011 Edge in for it's 5th update last week and the dealer service manager called me at the end of the day to come pick up my car. It wasn't going to get fixed. The response I got from yet another new service manager was that their Sync guy had problems. I pressed for details and he said the Ford internet was down. I knew then that I was being hosed. I told him to keep the car until it was fixed. He refused saying that the car runs and they can't find anything wrong and after some more haggling, he admitted that Ford had recalled the update and their Sync guy was only there two days a week. When I picked up the car, he told me to call every morning at 700AM to see if the Sync guy was there for the day and if Ford had another update. After this many trips to the dealer either without a loaner or a piece of crap when I'm paying dearly for their touted technology in a Limited Edge, it's time for a change. I'm going to drop off my car as soon as the problem redevelops, and leave it there until it is fixed. We should all do the same. Imagine thousands of Ford vehicle left at the dealers for a Sync fix that is will not come anytime soon. Then an attorney presents them with a class action suit for this debacle. I'll be happy to take back my money and go buy a replacement from a competitor. We've been sold a bag of goods. Sync Sucks.

FYI

My son has a brand new 2011 Ram truck with a sticker of 43,000.00. He spent 3 hours at Dodge trying to get his iPod to work. Finally after 3 hours he was told they had to contact Chrysler because they didn't have a fix for it. He tried his iPod on the truck in the showroom and it worked. Next step is to have the head unit replaced

IT'S NOT JUST FORD

WE JUST CAN'T KEEP UP WITH TECHNOLOGY

• Like 1

FYI

My son has a brand new 2011 Ram truck with a sticker of 43,000.00. He spent 3 hours at Dodge trying to get his iPod to work. Finally after 3 hours he was told they had to contact Chrysler because they didn't have a fix for it. He tried his iPod on the truck in the showroom and it worked. Next step is to have the head unit replaced

IT'S NOT JUST FORD

WE JUST CAN'T KEEP UP WITH TECHNOLOGY

I second this. When I was shopping, I had checked out the 2011 Dodge Journey. On the first model I test-drove, the U-Connect was having a fit.

I second this. When I was shopping, I had checked out the 2011 Dodge Journey. On the first model I test-drove, the U-Connect was having a fit.

Well, the issues with My Ford Touch run much deeper than just the bluetooth connection to a phone. Touch is used to control many things ie HVAC, Nav, & audio

Well, the issues with My Ford Touch run much deeper than just the bluetooth connection to a phone. Touch is used to control many things ie HVAC, Nav, & audio

I don't doubt the MFT issues are more abundant, but to clarify, I wasn't referring Bluetooth connectivity (I wasn't going to pair with a car I was test driving). The audio controls were not working properly on it, and I couldn't get the NAV to load. The separate HVAC controls worked.

The report I saw said Bsquare was out and Ford was rewriting the software in house with lots of help from Microsoft and the new version would be backwards compatible with current hardware. Not sure about the OS upgrade though.

Certainly not something I have heard - I believe BSquare would have to acknowledged this in their recent financial results as investors wouldn't be happy about that (its a large revenue source for them). Also, they only signed a further deal with Ford back in Feb that runs to Dec 30th 2011. There are approximately 55 employees working there vs 35 last year (so 20 engineers were added) for 2011.

Funny, the day after I posted my breakdown this comment by a user "Derodeo" shows up on another forum that is getting some views.... strange, its almost like a copy of what I wrote a day earlier! Copying my assessment? It almost uses the same language! : http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/03/mulally-facing-pressure-to-fix-ford-fix-tech-and-quality-glitche/#aolc=A1DNoA Too funny.

Certainly not something I have heard - I believe BSquare would have to acknowledged this in their recent financial results as investors wouldn't be happy about that (its a large revenue source for them). Also, they only signed a further deal with Ford back in Feb that runs to Dec 30th 2011. There are approximately 55 employees working there vs 35 last year (so 20 engineers were added) for 2011.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/7332-inside-info-on-mft-development/page__view__findpost__p__58713

You can trust Waldo on this one. BTW - this doesn't mean that Ford isn't still paying Bsquare under the contract terms even if they decided to redo the software in house. Happens all the time.