Yakima Roof Rack with Landing Pads

I recently purchased a 2011 ford edge and fell in love with the BAMR option. However I was disappointed that Ford did not offer a roof rack option in conjunction with this roof configuration. I occasionally need to carry a canoe on my roof, so I set out in search of aftermarket options. I considered the Yackima Q-Tower clip on option, but I didn't like the idea of "temporary" option that might scratch the paint. Also, it seemed like it would take a lot of effort to install and remove each time. I searched on the web and found a retailer called Rack Attack that could install a Yakima track system, and this seemed like a decent solution. However there were no Rack Attack installers in my area and the idea of drilling and sealing multiple holes in my new vehicle seemed a bit drastic. Also the location of the tracks close to the BAMR had me worried it could stress or warp the mechaninism of the BAMR.

Then I stumbled upon a post over at the Ford Flex forum, where a user named tadpole installed a Yakima Landing pad #11 with Yakima towers to carry his kayak. The Ford Flex has a similar BAMR option and similar rain gutters, so I thought why couldn't this be done on an Edge also?

Props to tadpole at the Ford Flex forum: http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4825

Disclaimer:

I cannot tell you if this is the right option for you......it may void your warrany....could damage your vehicle....cause injury......ect......do so at you own risk!

That being said, I'm glad I went with this option. The landing pads are solidly mounted. Combined with front and rear tie down points, I am confident that I wil have no problems hauling my canoe where I need to on top of my 2011 Ford Edge.

I'm using the factory holes that the trim retaining clips are mounted to. I'm assuming that these are the same anchor points that the factory racks use on an edge without the Vista roof. A little caulk or grease on the threads should keep it waterproof. I just requires drilling two 1/4" holes in each trim strip to line up......measure twice, or three times, drill once. The Yakima Landing Pads #11's straddle the rain gutter and transfer the weight across both sides, for the Flex Yakima lists a capacity of 165lbs, the Edge is not listed. I plan on leaving the landing pads attached to the roof and just popping the rack on and off as needed, a easy two minute job.

Now for some pictures of the install:

Plastic tools used for lifting trim strip (Harbor Freight < $10) Also handy for removing Landing Pad clip on covers:

5642862623_295545c053.jpg

Initial temporary install without trim strips to check fit:

5608253351_ab8fbae5cc.jpg

Yakima Fit Chart. Ford Flex (Similar) = 165 lbs load capacity:

5642861505_a13c9fed74.jpg

I used a piece of paper cut to the width of the trim strip to measure the correct place for drilling:

5608247947_3f61a89852.jpg

Peeking under the trim strip to mark the position of holes needed:

5608827742_36684ba2a6.jpg

Test fit of hole distance with bolts:

5608824388_822513e33b.jpg

Rack installed:

5608822658_770caaf6ed.jpg

Tie Down Straps to be bolted under fender bolt:

5608832680_6a3f9c7ff1.jpg

Tie Down Staps Installed:

5608246475_bca0d2ce45.jpg

Canoe ready to be tied down:

5608834506_a665bd9ab6.jpg

Rack installed, 44 inch spread:

5642864001_f31a6d591f.jpg

Landing pad with clip on cover:

5643434206_e9ce8732bd.jpg

Edited by arnesr

I do like your idea, but I've already invested in Thule towers and fit kit. Also, reluctant to drill holes, etc and don't want to worry about leaks. I know chaulk the holes, but never know.

I'm still scratching my head wondering the real reason Ford didn't add the roof racks unless they're concerned about broken BAMRs.

BTW, sometime in the past I found a website and photos showing an aluminum piece a guy fabricated. The piece is "L" shaped and fits between the hood and fender using the mounting bolt you used with your strap. Nope, I can't find the photos nor website.

Edited by rwolson

• 2 weeks later...

I do like your idea, but I've already invested in Thule towers and fit kit. Also, reluctant to drill holes, etc and don't want to worry about leaks. I know chaulk the holes, but never know.

I'm still scratching my head wondering the real reason Ford didn't add the roof racks unless they're concerned about broken BAMRs.

BTW, sometime in the past I found a website and photos showing an aluminum piece a guy fabricated. The piece is "L" shaped and fits between the hood and fender using the mounting bolt you used with your strap. Nope, I can't find the photos nor website.

I thought about that too....But how come other makes with often larger (relative to the size of the car) roof openings have options for rails?

I really feel that Ford did not want to deal with the potential warranty issues arising from someone putting too much on the roof and/or not securing it properly. It is a very large and very expensive piece of glass to replace.

Having said that though, anyone that is putting the rack on their roof is taking the liability on themselves and should be accordingly prudent.

Trust me, I've assembled a long list of vehicles with large sunroofs and roof racks. Yup, sent my list to Ford requesting a roof rack on future cars. My current favorite OEM roof racks found on Volvo XC 60, Audi Q5 and Q7, BMW X3. The rack or rail if you prefer's small and very sturdy. Also, agree with you re:the need to exercise caution and use common sense when carrying boats, etc on roof racks.

I thought about making a block and attaching it to the bumper behind the plastic grille, but decided against it. I considered mounting a U bolt in the block for an attachment for bow lines to keep my kayak's bow stable and secured to the car. I'm just going with the under hood tie down strap like you.

After careful thought... and although I like arnesr's solution, I'm going to go ahead and install the factory rails on my Vista equipped roof.

Thanks again to Arnesr for sharing this cool mod. I was ready to use Q Towers and clips until I saw his gallery photos. I will include pics when I install the rails.

Question: Does the dealer know by VIN (solely by number algorithm) whether or not I have a BAMR? I imagine they won't sell the rails if I give them my own VIN. :lol: