Didnt Get Cargo Management? make your own.

If you didn't get Cargo Management as an option $65. And you dont want to pay $250 from Ford Parts, an easy fix is to make it yourself. This is what I did with a friends Edge. I really should have taken pictures throughout the project to make a "how to" but failed to in my rush to just get it done. Here's a quick write up.

1. Pry the foam insert from the rear of the vehicle. Its easier to work on it on a bench or table.

2. Gently cut out the Styrofoam honeycomb that takes up the inside of the rear tire surround. DO NOT CUT THE OUTSIDE WALLS, ONLY THE INSIDE.

3. With some medium and then fine grit sandpaper, sand smooth all the places you cut out the styrofoam honeycomb.

4. At this point you have three options for finishing off your new cargo organizer.

You can:

A. spray it with paint to seal the foam.

B. Fill it with a light coat of Bondo body filler, sand it smooth and paint it for a cleaner look.

C. Fiberglass it, sand it, and then paint it to match your body color. (You can use cans of DupliColor and Clear you don't need to take it to a body shop)

Sorry I didn't take photos when we did it. I can tell you it came out great! Im planning on doing it to mine when I eventually get one.

Ill post pictures the next time. PROMISE!

If you didn't get Cargo Management as an option $65. And you dont want to pay $250 from Ford Parts, an easy fix is to make it yourself. This is what I did with a friends Edge. I really should have taken pictures throughout the project to make a "how to" but failed to in my rush to just get it done. Here's a quick write up.

1. Pry the foam insert from the rear of the vehicle. Its easier to work on it on a bench or table.

2. Gently cut out the Styrofoam honeycomb that takes up the inside of the rear tire surround. DO NOT CUT THE OUTSIDE WALLS, ONLY THE INSIDE.

3. With some medium and then fine grit sandpaper, sand smooth all the places you cut out the styrofoam honeycomb.

4. At this point you have three options for finishing off your new cargo organizer.

You can:

B. Fill it with a light coat of Bondo body filler, sand it smooth and paint it for a cleaner look.

C. Fiberglass it, sand it, and then paint it to match your body color. (You can use cans of DupliColor and Clear you don't need to take it to a body shop)

Sorry I didn't take photos when we did it. I can tell you it came out great! Im planning on doing it to mine when I eventually get one.

Pretty sharp idea!

:)

• 9 months later...

You can:

Are you talking about the Foam around the spare tire? I assumed that ws some type of noise dampening. Does anyone know if that foam has a purpose?

Are you talking about the Foam around the spare tire? I assumed that ws some type of noise dampening. Does anyone know if that foam has a purpose?

It helps support the load floor also . I was considering a custom particle board and plywood one with fiberglass and paint . Maybe build in some compartments for tools .

• 5 months later...

I did a smiliar modifcation to my new 2008 Edge; I simply cut out some of the cross pieces inside the styrofoam to make different sized cubby holes. I fit my 4 D-cell Mag light, small tool kits, safety gear, etc. without any major changes to the structural integrity. Woo hoo!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
What exactly is "cargo management". I have it on my Edge and all I see is.... nothing in the back? Is it supposed to be the spaces around the spare tire after you lift the cover up?

Yes. You can store cleaners, detail spray, cloths, glass cleaner, jumper cables, tools, etc. in the plastic storage bins around the spare tire. Units without the bin option don't get the tire cover or bins - just foam spacers around the spare.

Yes. You can store cleaners, detail spray, cloths, glass cleaner, jumper cables, tools, etc. in the plastic storage bins around the spare tire. Units without the bin option don't get the tire cover or bins - just foam spacers around the spare.

Cool, thanks :headspin:

I am currently keeping my quick detailer rolled up in a towell behind my drivers seat. I may try the storage areas, but I use the NXT detailer so frequent I don't want to wear the power lift hatch prematurely :shrug:

No Thanks :redcard: The $50 won't cover the cost of a new linear actuator when it wears out....... of course right after the warranty expires :yahoo:

If the linear actuator alone, cost $50.00 it was designed for the NASA... :hysterical: Any linear actuator if you get it yourself will cost you far less, and man do not worry they last a long time before going down, you will sell the car first, that is for sure....

We all know how the original looks like we are talking of the one he made....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...