Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

I have just under 15 turns on my edge, recently noticed a pungent, burnt rubber smell after I get her warmed up, say 10 minutes on the highway with even a hint of antifreeze or sweetness.

Wife said she thought it was even smoking last night when she pulled it into the garage, but that could easily be mistaken since it has been fairly cold here. Anyhow got a service appointment, scheduled for drop off tomorrow.

I checked the oil, no sign of antifreeze there, no obvious leaks or puddles under the truck, not in the garage or on fresh snow. Resevoir is fine as well. I suppose it is possible whatever is leaking is dripping onto the manifold and burning off? Anyhow, anyone experienced something similar? Just wondering what to expect early next week. I will of course keep you all posted.

No it's isn't red, thank heavens...

Edited by DJ Starr

I have just under 15 turns on my edge, recently noticed a pungent, burnt rubbel smell after I get her warmed up, say 10 minutes on the highway with even a hint of antifreeze or sweetness.

Wife said she thought it was even smoking last night when she pulled it into the garage, but that could easily be mistaken since it has been fairly cold here. Anyhow got a service appointment, scheduled for drop off tomorrow.

I checked the oil, no sign of antifreeze there, no obvious leaks or puddles under the truck, not in the garage or on fresh snow. Resevoir is fine as well. I suppose it is possible whatever is leaking is dripping onto the manifold and burning off? Anyhow, anyone experienced something similar? Just wondering what to expect early next week. I will of course keep you all posted.

No it's isn't red, thank heavens...

Whew..good. Then it should be something very, very minor.

I haven't had the problem; in fact, haven't heard of anyone else with it.

Let us know.

lately I have had a burning smell a couple of times.

Happened after driving for a while and then stopping for a couple of minutes with the car still running.

Today there was actually smoke inside the vehicle.

Got out to check to engine compartment and saw nothing wrong.

Will keep an eye on things and report any further info.

lately I have had a burning smell a couple of times.

Happened after driving for a while and then stopping for a couple of minutes with the car still running.

Today there was actually smoke inside the vehicle.

Got out to check to engine compartment and saw nothing wrong.

Will keep an eye on things and report any further info.

I have noticed the same thing on my 2007 AWD ...

It has only happened a few times, starting around 4500 miles.

I didn't have visible smoke, but the smell is acrid and seems to occur only after the car has been running for awhile and then stopped. It has only been noticed since the weather turned cold, so I am thinking it may be caused by hot engine coolant circulating through new heating components. I'm hoping it will stop once the system has been broken in.

Well, good for you. I guess I made it all up because I have an underliyng drive for Ford to die. You are probably right. I guess every day for the past 10 months, I have been driving a Murano but in all my delusions I actually only THOUGHT it was an Edge.

Anyone who may be curious about the resolution is free to pm me, I would hate to clutter the forum with my drivel, since until now it has been nothing but solid posts and good feedback forum wide. Forgive me for being the impetus of this forums demise...

Edited by DJ Starr

Well, good for you. I guess I made it all up because I have an underliyng drive for Ford to die. You are probably right. I guess every day for the past 10 months, I have been driving a Murano but in all my delusions I actually only THOUGHT it was an Edge.

Anyone who may be curious about the resolution is free to pm me, I would hate to clutter the forum with my drivel, since until now it has been nothing but solid posts and good feedback forum wide. Forgive me for being the impetus of this forums demise...

Bravo!!

Your right DJ, I don't know what die in his ......, but this forum is for support on these type of issues.

Dude,

Sorry if I came off grumpy, it was Monday morning and no, I wasn't happy my truck is in the shop. I just get upset with all the juvenile postings on this board from time to time (and no, I know it hasn't been you). I posted what I thought would be relevant to others and even insightful and you happened to be the one to set me off. Nothing personal, and again, I apologize. I was frustrated because I have been a long term member, and I thought for some reason you were implying I was trolling.

As for my truck, they said it is nothing critical, just a leaking O-ring on the transmission. I am no expert but that doesn't sound too great to me? hehe

Anyhow, they need to order the part but they are giving me the truck back to drive so should be non-critical, let's hope. Anyone with some advice? Should it be ok to drive? Regardless of what they say, I plan on keeping this Edge for a while. Any risk of long term damage?

Dude,

Sorry if I came off grumpy, it was Monday morning and no, I wasn't happy my truck is in the shop. I just get upset with all the juvenile postings on this board from time to time (and no, I know it hasn't been you). I posted what I thought would be relevant to others and even insightful and you happened to be the one to set me off. Nothing personal, and again, I apologize. I was frustrated because I have been a long term member, and I thought for some reason you were implying I was trolling.

As for my truck, they said it is nothing critical, just a leaking O-ring on the transmission. I am no expert but that doesn't sound too great to me? hehe

Anyhow, they need to order the part but they are giving me the truck back to drive so should be non-critical, let's hope. Anyone with some advice? Should it be ok to drive? Regardless of what they say, I plan on keeping this Edge for a while. Any risk of long term damage?

This "O-ring" is popping up with a few people. I certainly hope this isn't a wide spread problem.

I don't post much here, usually just read through the threads. However I thought I should chime in here. My wife has an 07 Edge AWD with about 6,500 miles on it. Recently I have noticed a rubber burning smell on a few occasions. Each time, we have been driving for a little bit with the heat on (Winter in Central NY) and come to a stop when the smell is noticed. It doesn't last long or seem to affect the vehicle in any way. At first I wondered if the rear heat ducts were blocked by some of the baby stuff in the back but sometimes nothing is in the way. I'd be interested to hear what anyone else finds out. Since it doesn't seem major, I'll wait until the next oil change. I did notice a TSB on NHTSA's website that talked about brakes dragging and causing a smell... not sure if this is related. The smell is only noticable inside the vehicle and no smoke at all.

Otherwise no issues and we love our Edge. :shades:

If you bring your car into the dealership, it might be a seal or gasket that is leaking on the so called transfer case onto the exhuast. They have een working on mine for a while. A gasget / seal wont fix it. A new transfer case needs to be ordered. Its a sweet thick smell. Its the transfer case leaking some good fluids. Havem check it out. Didnt know that many people have this problem. Ford is aware of it and they stated to replaced the transfer case after my car has been in the shop for almost a good month. GREAT TIMES.

'07 Edge AWD SEL

5800 miles

Last 3 days, large puddles of fluid observed under vehicle after long rides. Burning oil smell observed in heat. Dealer inspected vehicle on the lift and determined failed CV joint. Parts manager advises 62 units are on backorder to my area. I thought this was a little suspicious given the quantity and the type of part given the age of these vehicles. Expecation is a minimum of 3 days for the part. Dealer has my ride until then.

Note, I'm certain it was motor oil not tranny fuild. Smell / puddles didn't start until last dealer performed oil change. Dipstick inspection shows crank case is overfilled - severely. Concerned this may be the start of a rear main seal going, I notified the Service Manager however, he's confident it's not. Nothing was done to address oil level. Time will tell.

Burning rubber/petroleum smell is real and annoying. Service department reaction is pacifying and brushed off (there isn't a way in the world that that smell will dissappear unless Ford issues a recall). I hope Detroit executives pick up on this and find a solution.

HI, glad you let me know about this..

My Real name is Bill Ford and if it wasn't for your attention to this problem, we would never have known about it..

Funny thing you brought this up. I just happened to Google burning smell today and this was brought to my attention.

I'm issuing a recall tomorrow, thanks once again.

I just found the forum today while doing some googling and am now panicking. I bought my 2007 Edge in August and am around 10,000 miles. After the first oil change I started noticing this same burning smell and there is indeed smoke coming off the engine. I notice it mostly while idling and sometimes it goes away when I turn the air on circulate (as then I'm getting outside air in the cabin). I also noticed puddles of oil in my driveway but thought that it must have been someone parked in my driveway during the day while I was away as this couldn't be from my BRAND NEW car.

Any updates for me? What did the dealer say? I'd appreciate ANY assistance - I'm taking mine in tomorrow. YIKES!

• 2 weeks later...

The AWD vehicles have a known problem with the Power Takeoff Unit seals. This is usually the seal where the passenger side axle goes into the PTU.

If you look up from under the vehicle it has that nice yellow colred seal deflector. Synthetic fluid will drip down onto the exhaust.

The smell is very uh different.

Parts are on National backorder right now.

Richard and Barbie

Finally got me Edge in to the dealer this week and they said it is a transmission seal leak.

The seal kit is on back order so they put me in a 2008 Subaru Tribeca until the repair is complete.

Once I get the repair finalized and I get the work ticket in hand, I'll post the specific repair they did.

I don't post much here, usually just read through the threads. However I thought I should chime in here. My wife has an 07 Edge AWD with about 6,500 miles on it. Recently I have noticed a rubber burning smell on a few occasions. Each time, we have been driving for a little bit with the heat on (Winter in Central NY) and come to a stop when the smell is noticed. It doesn't last long or seem to affect the vehicle in any way. At first I wondered if the rear heat ducts were blocked by some of the baby stuff in the back but sometimes nothing is in the way. I'd be interested to hear what anyone else finds out. Since it doesn't seem major, I'll wait until the next oil change. I did notice a TSB on NHTSA's website that talked about brakes dragging and causing a smell... not sure if this is related. The smell is only noticable inside the vehicle and no smoke at all.

Otherwise no issues and we love our Edge. :shades:

Mgazak - this is EXACTLY the same thing that happened to mine. The smell had started to fade slightly but I took it in anyway. Turns out it was a leak in the transfer case which, as it turns out, is a common issue with '07 Edges. They've had it for nearly two weeks now but I'm hopefully getting it back on Monday. The parts were hard to get.

Just an FYI. :)

Why the *ell would "parts be hard to get for something made in North America and only a 2007. (Okay, the parts were likely made in China or India).

My understanding is if a supplier screws the pooch and Ford has to start doing a lot of warranty/recall work the supplier pays the price, big time. Sounds like a Tier 2 or Tier 3 supplier made some bad product and has to make improvements and a new run to fix the problem. If its a bad design/batch I would hope they fix it rather than ship the same crap just to get the cars back out on the road only to have it fail again..

this whole thread is making me nervous about Ford again after my initial impressions being so positive.

Thank god the only burning smell in my car right now isn't from the car itself !

I have a 2007 SEL AWD with the same symptoms... burning smell sitting at a stop after driving for a period of time. I have just over 14,000 kms and have noticed this problem 3 or 4 times over the past few weeks (doesn't do it all the time - and doesn't last long). This is the only problem I've experienced to date (since June 07).