Thule Trunk Mount Bike Rack Install - 11' Edge Sport

I installed my Thule 9003 Trunk Mount bike rack today and wanted to share some pics.

post-19387-0-33462400-1335761903_thumb.jpg

post-19387-0-52887400-1335761920_thumb.jpg

post-19387-0-29886300-1335761935_thumb.jpg

post-19387-0-30115000-1335761961_thumb.jpg

post-19387-0-97904800-1335761977_thumb.jpg

You can see in the first pic that we added a piece of foam to protect the paint.

The rubber cable cover provided by Thule was not sufficient in my opinion.

I am also playing with the actual position on the vehicle. Thule recommends Fit Dial setting "9" which is what is shown in the pictures.

I will probably make adjustments to lower the platform a few inches and to level it out as it is slightly angled in current state.

Overall I am happy with it and it held up well on my driving tests (including highway).

JN

Edited by jnight99

Rack itself looks nice...just worried about the load on the trunk spoiler. Let us know how things go with it fully loaded. I doubt I would feel comfortable with my downhill bike on that but I might be OK with the lighter road or XC bikes. Please keep us posted, my hitch rack is on its way out. Might be able to get anotehr season or two out of it but it is heavy and will only owrk on teh Edge. Something like this I could adapt to either vehicle.

Rack itself looks nice...just worried about the load on the trunk spoiler.

I second that. I asked in another post how that would work and I just don't like the fact that it hangs from the spoiler. Seems like one good hard bump and it's bye-bye spoiler, rack and bike...

I hope it works out, but I have full confidence in my hitch mount.

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice rack. I cringe at the thought of trunk racks, but this one seems very good and similar to the Saris bones.

Are you able to open the hatch with that thing on there?

Not able to open the hatch, no, as per the directions from Thule anyways. That's the biggest downside and the part my wife hates.

• 1 month later...

Update -

I took the Edge on a 7 hour tour with the rack installed + 1 bike. Lots of highway and twisty roads and a good mix of weather (ie. heavy rains, wind, etc)

The rack stood strong the entire trip.

I don't have confidence yet to put 2 bikes though so for the meantime I am going to stick to a single bike use.

JN

• 2 years later...

I joined the Ford Edge forum today to search for any info I could find on 'trunk' mount bicycle racks/carriers and found this 'thread'. I'd like to ask the original poster if he has continued to have no issues with the Thule Raceway 9003 rack on his 2011 Edge.

As one of the other members wrote, I'm concerned about using this type of rack due to the spoiler on the vehicle. My Edge doesn't have the roof racks which at least one of the Thule models shown on their website could have been utilized for the top straps instead of the hooking into the top of the hatch (spoiler).

Also, have you tried adding a second bike and how did that go?

Thanks for any insight you can provide

k8t