2012 SEL - Dead Battery!

doug3940

I've got a fully loaded 2012 SEL that's about 5 weeks old and I woke up to a dead battery this morning. I've noticed a few quirky things with the car, like you get in and start it and the radio is on FM, not on Sirius where you left it, or that the right side of the dashboard screen won't update anymore, it just stays locked on a particular radio channel. But I have to say that these problems have always cleared up the next time I start the car.

But this morning takes the cake, the car was completely dead. Being slightly technical, I checked the battery voltage and saw it was at an amazing 4.8 volts - which I didn't think was possible, figuring most systems in the car shut off at a higher voltage, say 10 volts or so. So, I put the battery charger on the car for four hours and the car did start on the first turn of the key. I haven't driven it anywhere yet, but I did let it run for awhile and did successfully stop and start it several times.

So, here is the kicker. Satisfied that the car is now fine, I shut it off, get out and lock/arm the vehicle. As I am walking away from the car, I hear the FM radio come on! The screen of the car has the white background and the dashboard screens are lit up white, and the FM stereo is on! So, I get back in and press the radio on/off button with no result. I put the key back in the ignition, turn it to 'on' and press the power button and it goes off. I get out of the car, lock the doors and it does it a second time! This time I wait about 20 seconds and the radio shuts itself off - with no intervention from me.

So, this has me wondering, what's the car doing when I'm not around? And is this why the car killed the battery?

I realize that there is no way to get help from the forum for this, but does anyone else have a similar story? If so, please share it here!

PS I know I have the latest flash because the stereo buttons on the screen have the little yellow led-like indicators next to AM, FM, Sirius, etc., and this is the way I got if from the dealer.

PPS coming from a 2009 Edge Limited where everything just worked fine, have they really improved Sync in 2012??

Just a quick update, the car has been fine for the last few days. One item I neglected to mention is that the car is parked in a garage attached to my house, so I normally leave the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked. I have now noticed that the car is smart and knows that the key is in the ignition because when I pull the key out the interior lights come on. So now I've been taking the key out and locking the car as if it was outside. It seems crazy to me but obviously something confused the car and made it kill the battery. I'd rather have to lock it at night rather than jump start it in the morning!

Do you have the outside temp display next to the time at the top of the home screen?

If so then you might have a flaky APIM that drained the battery. If the MFT problems reoccur take it back to the dealer.

Locking it shouldn't make any difference.

I have seen several times on the old 2.11 that the radio would remain on no matter what you did with the doors or keys. The only fix those times was pulling the fuse. Since updating I haven't seen this happen yet but since there are still plenty of bugs I wouldn't be too surprised if someone said this was still possible.

• 6 months later...

I have a 2011 Edge Limited and same thing happened to me. The vehicle is over at Ford shop right now. It wouldn't start last night, I had CAA give me a boost. Battery was worn down. Similar quirky things happening - shut off vehicle, get out, lock door, start walking away and notice radio is still playing, or theater dimming feature of all the interior lights should shut off when pressing the FOB lock - didn't always happen.

I've asked the techies to explain WHY a new vehicle had the battery run down. I was suspecting charging issues because I drove on the highway for a half hour shortly before the battery died.

Stay tuned they are going to call me in the next hour.

Edited by Limitador

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I have a 2012 Edge SEL, 22000 miles. I've had it jump started by roadside assistance 3 times. All times in my garage where I found the car with a dead battery. Twice in the morning and once in the evening when I was going for pizza. The battery has been replaced twice under warranty. It is now on the third battery. This battery has died twice. The first time it also showed a dash message, "check charging system". Dealer did that, said it was OK, but also said there is a "battery monitoring system" which was not reset when the battery was replaced. This causes the computer to give "false signals" per the dealer. They reset the BMS, and said it was good to go. That was on 2/14/14. This AM the battery was dead again.

I have complained about a "whistling noise which comes from the battery, or that vicinity", but to no avail. No one ever hears it at the dealership including me! After I got it jump started and ran it for about 3 hours this AM, I parked it in the garage, turned it off, and the "whistle" is back. Recorded it on my smart phone so I can play it for the dealership tomorrow AM. I am p*****!

I have a 2012 Edge SEL, 22000 miles. I've had it jump started by roadside assistance 3 times. All times in my garage where I found the car with a dead battery. Twice in the morning and once in the evening when I was going for pizza. The battery has been replaced twice under warranty. It is now on the third battery. This battery has died twice. The first time it also showed a dash message, "check charging system". Dealer did that, said it was OK, but also said there is a "battery monitoring system" which was not reset when the battery was replaced. This causes the computer to give "false signals" per the dealer. They reset the BMS, and said it was good to go. That was on 2/14/14. This AM the battery was dead again.

Hey BITOFNEDGE,

I'd like to connect you with your regional customer service manager. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, and servicing dealership.

I'll get this up the ladder.

Todd

• Like 1

Hey BITOFNEDGE,

I'd like to connect you with your regional customer service manager. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, and servicing dealership.

I'll get this up the ladder.

Todd

Hi Todd: I'm writing this because when I tried to PM you, the system said I need 5 posts to do that. I only have 4!!! The car is in the shop as of yesterday AM. They kept it overnight. As usual, they've found no problems, but they say they have a call into Ford Engineering for input. I'm waiting for them to call and say the car is ready for pickup. This should be my 5th post. Hope to PM you shortly. Thanks a bunch. Larry

Hi Todd: I'm writing this because when I tried to PM you, the system said I need 5 posts to do that. I only have 4!!! The car is in the shop as of yesterday AM. They kept it overnight. As usual, they've found no problems, but they say they have a call into Ford Engineering for input. I'm waiting for them to call and say the car is ready for pickup. This should be my 5th post. Hope to PM you shortly. Thanks a bunch. Larry

Hey Larry,

Just wanted to let you know I responded to your PM. :)

Todd

• 4 weeks later...

I want to give a shout out to Todd with "Ford Service" who responded to my March 16th post about the battery problems I was having with my 2012 Edge SEL. He was instrumental in getting a process started just two days after my post which concluded on April 10th when my dealership working with my regional CSM and Ford Customer Service finally nailed the problem and got it fixed. (Knock on wood!) The problem turned out to be a bad Shifter Assembly which was intermittently not supplying a proper ground to turn off the Transmission Shift Solenoid Pack when the vehicle was placed in Park and the key turned off in my garage. The solenoids still being energized would drain the battery overnight. In my opinion, it was a prime example of a cooperative effort involving several people all initiated by Todd. Thanks for getting back to me the nifty car I bought in the first place.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I want to give a shout out to Todd with "Ford Service" who responded to my March 16th post about the battery problems I was having with my 2012 Edge SEL. He was instrumental in getting a process started just two days after my post which concluded on April 10th when my dealership working with my regional CSM and Ford Customer Service finally nailed the problem and got it fixed. (Knock on wood!) The problem turned out to be a bad Shifter Assembly which was intermittently not supplying a proper ground to turn off the Transmission Shift Solenoid Pack when the vehicle was placed in Park and the key turned off in my garage. The solenoids still being energized would drain the battery overnight. In my opinion, it was a prime example of a cooperative effort involving several people all initiated by Todd. Thanks for getting back to me the nifty car I bought in the first place.

BITOFNEDGE,

Yay, I’m happy to read about the great news and thanks for the shout out! :victory:

My name is Tricia and I’ll be assisting you in the future if you have any questions or concerns. I’ve taken over for Todd as he is now serving on our Twitter platform.

I’ll be sure to share this news with him. :)

You know where to find me if you need me and have a great day!

Tricia

Thank you Bitofnedge for posting your troubles and the eventual outcome. We, too have been having the same issues, to no avail. Have had to have our Edge towed twice in the last year/+ and 2 different dealers could not find the problem..... just now lights stayed on, a slight whirring from under the hood and the battery was only half charged after having driven it. Will call the dealer and report this new finding. Thank You!

I have a 2011 lincoln mkx. it was running absolutely perfectly. one night i went to start it and it wouldn't. then all of the dash lights would flicker, outside lights, etc. it was like the car went totally crazy. it was in a parking garage, so i went outside to call roadside assistence. after about 30 minutes i came back and it was still doing the exact same thing and i didn't even touch it. roadside assistence gave me a boost and it started. they suggested i drive around for a while for the battery to charge. i did and while driving i was getting all kinds of warning lights, sync would restart for "scheduled maintenance", etc. car was like it was possessed by demons.

it was late at night and i couldn't drive it to the dealer. so i turned it off and decided i would drive it in to the dealer in the morning. when i tried to start it in the morning the same thing happened. i called roadside assistence again and they came and gave me a boost number 2. i drove to the dealer where i bought it and they wouldn't even come out and look at it. this was may 9...they told me the first appointment they can give me is may 22. i said well, can i leave it here and get a loaner....no loaner. all they would tell me is that they are very busy.

so i ieft and drove it to another dealer who worked on my car before. they were busy too, but what a difference...they at least said they would take a quick look and if it was something they could fix quickly, they would. if not i could leave the car there and try to find me something to drive. after about 15 minutes they came and told me, it is a faulty battery. they replaced it and i was out of there in less than 1 hour. what a difference in service and attitude.

so long story short: if your car is doing crazy things and won't start, look at having you battery checked. the advisor told me some modules in the car can react in strange ways when they don't get enough voltage (hence the car acting like it was possessed).

i do plan to write to lincoln to complement the second dealer on their service and "help the customer attitude". as for the first dealer where i bought the car....i won't be going back there for anything. they have lost a customer.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just reading some off these posts after my 2012 ford edge SEL battery was drained this morning. This was the second time in the past 2 months the battery was just dead one morning. Took it to advanced auto to get a diagnostic. The battery load test passed, alternator and starter test passed, however the printout showed that something was causing the battery to drain slowly, would have to take it in to see. What could it be? I was thinking this mytouch system might stay on after the car is turned off that might cause it to drain. It is so intermittent though. Could the mytouch need an update? Last update was 1 year ago. Any suggestions would be great, I have to wait 3 days to get it in the shop. Uggh!

• 1 month later...

BITOFNEDGE,

Yay, I’m happy to read about the great news and thanks for the shout out! :victory:

My name is Tricia and I’ll be assisting you in the future if you have any questions or concerns. I’ve taken over for Todd as he is now serving on our Twitter platform.

I’ll be sure to share this news with him. :)

You know where to find me if you need me and have a great day!

Tricia

I am having similar issues. I just purchased a 2012 Certified Pre-Owned Ford Edge Limited this past Sunday (9/7/14). Yesterday (Monday) morning, when I went to start the car to head to work, it wouldn't start. I finally ended up getting it jumped and it didn't give me any problems on my way to work. Naturally I called the dealer where I purchased the car and they told me to bring it in. I left work early to head to the Ford dealer and again, the car's batter had been drained. After three - four tries, I was finally able to get it to start on its own, but this showed there was a repetitive problem. After waiting at the dealer with the car for 2 hours, they came back to tell me that they were not able to find anything wrong with the car, and if it happens again, to call Ford Roadside assistance and have it towed to them. Frustrated, I did some research online and found in another forum that it could be the Lync software causing the issue and to update it to the newest version. I did that last night and this morning the car started fine so I was optimistic that my problems were behind me until I went to leave for lunch a little while ago and again, the battery had been drained. I was able to get it stated on its own, but there was a lot of clicking and it had a really hard time turning over. I'm not sure where to go from here. I really don't want to have to wait until I'm stranded and have the car towed before someone will help me. I just got the car, a COP at that, 2 days ago!! Any additional advice would be much appreciated.

Any additional advice would be much appreciated.

Umm....replace the battery? That's the most likely problem. I doubt that's covered by the CPO anyway. If it is and they refuse to replace it do it yourself and ask for reimbursement if that fixes it. It's only $100 and 15 minutes at AutoZone or Advance.

Umm....replace the battery? That's the most likely problem. I doubt that's covered by the CPO anyway. If it is and they refuse to replace it do it yourself and ask for reimbursement if that fixes it. It's only $100 and 15 minutes at AutoZone or Advance.

u

The battery and alternator both tested perfect. The ford dealer told me they would replace the battery if they could find a problem but they couldn't. Just to be safe, I also took it to auto-zone to get it tested and they said they were both fine as well......