iPod indexing

how long does it take to "index" an iPod? I've been driving around since I purchased the car (Saturday) with a 160gb iPod classic connected via the usb hub in the center console. It has been "indexing" the entire time (there's about 155gb of music on the device). Today was the first time I could actually access the artist list, but when I select an artist, it "thinks" in perpetuity. Do I just need to be patient because of the amount of music? Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks,

Gordon

Do you have the latest version of MFT? Easiest way to tell is if the top center has tiime only you have the latest. Reason I ask is we saw similarly long indexing times with the older versions but find that the latest software gets about 60GB done in about 5 minutes. So if you were on the new software I wouldn't expect your indexing to take more than 15-20 min.

• 1 month later...

I have an older version (non-Bluetooth flash based) 32 Gb iPod Touch with MFT 3.0.2 and it takes forever to index. The previous version of MFT indexed very quickly compared to 3.0.2 for me. In fact, since I applied the update about 2 months ago, it's only ever finished twice and only after a two hour dive both times. I can access all of my playlists but I can't access the movies until the indexing is finished. Because of this, I am hesitant to update the music on my iPod Touch since it takes so long to get the movies back. Unfortunately MFT reset on it's own the other day and has begun the re-indexing process all over again. I guess no movies until I go on a long trip again :(

Edited by gagetAl