Turbocharger Kit for Sale

JohnnyZilv

Hey everyone, so in regards to that turbo thread started by Speedmafia, I was the guy whose car was having it installed on. I haven't driven it for more than 3 days, and it is in basically perfect condition. I had the entire kit custom made specifically for our Edge's and after a month of install work I have the finished product. The car is awesome with it, when the boost kicks on around 2600 rpms it pulls like crazy, and the blowoff valve sounds awesome, as well as the custom exhaust sounds like an awesome performance exhaust. This is all without a fully finished custom tune, which I can imagine would only help the acceleration. There is little, if any, ground clearance lost with the kit as one can see from the pictures. I am selling it because I did it without the permission of my father with the understanding that he wouldn't mind, and unfortunately he wasn't as much of a fan of the modification as I was. I am selling the entire kit, which includes a Wideband A/F gauge, a Boost gauge, a Garrett GT35 turbo, a custom intercooler, piping, wiring harness for the oil return pump, the oil return pump, blowoff valve, wastegate, and air filter. I am also throwing in an SCT handheld tuner as well as a custom mail order tune that is good for 6 months of free tuning from MPtuning.com. I hate to have to take the kit off my car but I am trying to sell it in hopes of someone else being able to have as much fun with it as I did for the few days I had it. The kit was quoted by STS as being worth around $10,000 since it's technically the only working Ford Edge prototype in the world as far as they know (but I will obviously sell it for a much better price than their quote). The only thing that it needs is a waterproof air filter sock from STS as well as a crankcase ventilation system (preferably a catch can setup to the intake of the turbo, which would run around $150 or less installed). PM me if interested and hopefully we can work out a price. Thanks!

Here is the turbocharger

post-4874-0-32544700-1337291803_thumb.jpeg

Here is the intercooler behind the bottom grill

post-4874-0-10112400-1337291824_thumb.jpeg

Here is the STS oil return pump

post-4874-0-95348900-1337291867_thumb.jpeg

Here is the air filter and intake side of the turbocharger

post-4874-0-19901900-1337291887_thumb.jpeg

Here is the intake piping that leads to the intercooler going under the front axle

post-4874-0-14452200-1337291921_thumb.jpeg

Here is the Blowoff Valve and the piping that comes from the intercooler to the throttle body

post-4874-0-97780600-1337291963_thumb.jpeg

Here is a picture of the exhaust running to the turbo as well as the intake piping running to the engine

post-4874-0-54060700-1337292000_thumb.jpeg

Here is the waste gate as well as one of the mounting brackets for the turbo

post-4874-0-16913100-1337292037_thumb.jpeg

Here is the A/F Wideband and the Boost Gauge

post-4874-0-99729200-1337292071_thumb.jpeg

Here is a picture of the exhaust and system from the rear of the car

post-4874-0-19357200-1337292117_thumb.jpeg

Here is a photo of the STS oil return pump

post-4874-0-36306500-1337292146_thumb.jpeg

Edited by JohnnyZilv

very intuitive but those bends on the exhaust and intercooler are terrible, obviously aren't mandrel. i don't know who would pay $10k for it either but seeing as it is a one off who knows. a shame you have to get rid of it, I'd love to turbo charge my sport, but not with that kit.

i know i sound harsh but it would have been nicer if those bends weren't so terrible.

• Like 1

I am selling it because I did it without the permission of my father with the understanding that he wouldn't mind, and unfortunately he wasn't as much of a fan of the modification as I was.

Not to be an ass, but if you have that much money to do it, how does your dad figure into this?

Obviously I wouldn't sell it for anywhere near $10,000, I didn't pay that much and I don't think anyone should pay that much, but that's just what STS said they would charge to make a prototype like this themselves. But as far as the pipes go, they aren't mandrel and are steel because they are under the car where no one would see them, yet they are all welded together extremely well with minimal bends to reduce any potential back pressure increase from not using mandrel. As far as my dad figuring into this, he is helping pay for my college and wasn't a fan of me spending some of my money on a turbo kit instead, but that is completely irrelevant to what's going on here. I'm trying to offer a good deal on a quality kit for someone who wants to have some fun with such an awesome car. I know there has beens some past interest and as far as I know this is the only thing that is even close to perfect at this point. Just trying to give options to those who would want them, not trying to screw anyone over.

Edited by JohnnyZilv

Didn't Dad wonder where the Edge was for all those weeks it was gone while measuring and test fitting were done along with the fabrication time.... I mean... I'm not agreeing with Akirby but.... Ok that is what I'm saying.....

Edited by Edgieguy

i don't care if the pipes are steel and under the car, bends like that aren't good for smooth flow. and if that isn't stainless steel then the whole kit is worthless, but even with stainless steel you can have smooth bends. good luck selling it.

SpeedMafia quoted in their thread on this website that the vehicle was picked up early and not 100% completed. So how you drove it around for 3 days when it wasn't finished is anyone's guess. There are two possibilities here in my honest opinion.

1. Its stolen and you have fabricated the dumbest story ever

2. You actually own this vehicle and blew your motor/trans because said install was picked up early and you didn't have it tuned or 100% done.

Either way, good luck selling, but honestly like the others have said.. That is one ugly install for a build that is estimated at 10k. Seriously!!

:hysterical2: :hysterical2: :hysterical2: :hysterical2: :stop: :stop: :stop: :stop:

Edited by akirby
No need to get that nasty

Well here is the real deal. While everyone else on this forum seems to be content calling installing new headlights, or if they are really ambitious maybe a CAI, a "modification", I have gone and done what everyone said couldn't be done. I installed a functional and FAST turbocharger on my Edge. And while it may not be perfect in every possible way, which by the way is why it is called a PROTOTYPE, I've driven it and it works flawlessly. The fact that all of the bends aren't mandrel piping, and maybe there are a few MINOR flow restrictions doesn't mean the car can't be fast and functional. As far as before and after dyno runs, I only had the system on for 3 days and two of them were driving back from college, so sorry I didn't have time to do every little thing that I wanted to do on my car before I had to get it taken off, it still doesn't mean that it doesn't work. All that needed to be done was for the tune to be finalized and the crankcase ventilation system completed, and I drove it over 600 miles without either and it worked great. Also, I never said that I would sell the kit for anything near $10K, but look up any custom built turbo kit and you can see that they aren't cheap. Making real power isn't cheap, and real power isn't an exhaust, or a K&N filter, or a CAI that some people on this forum have done.

And for Eatinitup, first of all, even having your mind jump to the fact that I would steal a turbo system and do whatever it is you think I'm doing, (swindling people out of their money with a kit that isn't mine? I don't know what loser would have the time to do that but I'm sure not that guy) is probably the stupidest comment on this entire thread, and seeing as I drove it home from college and to the Ford dealership to have it removed pretty much proves that my motor/trans/PTU/whatever else you guys can think of did not blow up. Like I have said again and again, it's not a perfect build, but I also don't see any of you guys going out and trying to do something nobody else has done. If you were all smart and wanted a turbo system then it wouldn't be a huge deal to have someone bend up some mandrel piping and make it look as pretty and shiny and perfect as you guys want for no more than a couple hundred bucks, and then there would be nothing wrong with the kit.

I thought this forum prided themselves on being progressive and pushing the limits on what these cars can do, and when someone comes in with an idea that people said can't be done and does it, all anyone has had to say is shit about how it doesn't look beautiful or that the piping is stainless steel vs. mandrel or that there are a few restrictions in the flow. I have driven this car and know for a fact that it works, and I don't need to justify myself to people like you who haven't even tried it, let alone even thought it could be done. I'm not here trying to screw anyone out of money, I have an opportunity for someone to do something awesome with their car and am just giving those who have the inclination the option to do so. If that is all you guys have to contribute to this thread then maybe it's better if you don't post at all without having some firsthand experience with this kit and let people make their own decisions on whether they want to do something that only myself has done before and really be someone who can be proud to have done a REAL modification to their car.

• Like 1

I thought this forum prided themselves on being progressive and pushing the limits on what these cars can do, and when someone comes in with an idea that people said can't be done and does it

But you haven't proven that you've "done it". The builder says it wasn't finished and you have no proof it even works other than "I said so". Coupled with the fact that you're selling it with this story and any reasonable person would be suspicious.

And that's a completely valid point, I know I don't visit this forum as much as most people do and it may seem a bit suspicious that I just came onto the scene and put a turbo kit up for sale but I'm not the type of person who would gip someone out of money, and I wish I had more solid proof but if things had turned out the way I wanted them too I would still have the kit on the car myself. But I figured I'd put the option out there for someone who was curious enough to at least consider a something like this with the amount of proof that I was able to provide... whether anyone chooses to or not is obviously their choice. I'm just frustrated people are bashing the finer details of something like this just because I don't have all the proof I wish I did. And I don't have the time or desire to fabricate some story for god knows what reason about a turbo kit I didn't have. But I've been as straight forward as I can be with everyone here and I'm surprised that with all of the pictures and Speedmafia's thread that nobody is giving me the benefit of the doubt. I guess to each his own...

But you haven't proven that you've "done it". The builder says it wasn't finished and you have no proof it even works other than "I said so". Coupled with the fact that you're selling it with this story and any reasonable person would be suspicious.

At this point all you're selling is parts that may or may not work as advertised and may or may not be complete. You can't expect people to shell out big bucks just on your word without any proof.

I will rest my case with the two above posts.. Glad they got to it before I did because I may not of been as nice. You can look at the history bub, I have always prided myself in helping members on this forum. IF I remember correctly, this vehicle is a CUV not a drag racer. We can talk about who's is biggest in the pants but at the end of the day, they all do the same trick!! Having your turbocharger is nice and all, and if its true and really yours then GRATS on having something that maybe not a lot of people have. But when you come off the way you do, it seems very suspicious.. Especially when you can't post a bill of sale, videos of it running or dyno's. If this kit is worth 10k, i'd personally be selling it for around 6k.. I can tell you that Akirby, K300C, Dingo and other members are all very legit members and i'd even have a hard time paying them 100$ on this forum for something.. They are just names on a screen at the end of the day.. So for someone to trust some college kid with a ton of money for a turbocharger that the seller knows not that much about, i'd have a hard time doing and believe that 100% of the members on this forum would as well. Have a great day kid!

I understand the proof isn't what it should be, and I don't really blame everyone for being a bit skeptical. Whether they choose to believe me or not is their choice. I wish I had taken a video of the car and saved myself from this argument, unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to know that I wouldn't be keeping the system. Regardless, I drove it successfully home from Steamboat Springs CO where I went to college to Medina MN where I live now (1100 miles) without an issue. I sold the kit for parts just to put it all behind me and get something back for what I put in, so I'm not gonna bother defending my case anymore. But I can promise that it can be done, believe or disbelieve at your own will, and that the car's transmission, engine, drivetrain, and everything else hold up fine to 5 PSI of boost. The STS kit is really something to have and I can't describe the feeling in words, you have to experience it for yourself. But once you do you're hooked, and its really a bummer that I had to get rid of mine. But if anyone feels like installing one on their car in the future, just know that it's possible and incredible once it's done. All I would say is that make sure you have proper crankcase ventilation by using a catch can setup that goes from the valve covers on the engine to the intake of the turbo to prevent pressure buildup by using the constant vacuum that the turbo creates, and if you want to make it look prettier and maybe take away a bit of restriction, feel free to use mandrel bend piping. Also, if you are in the Colorado area and are willing to take the plunge, Kevin from Speedmafia (the one who made the thread documenting my build) is a great guy to work with and really cares about his customers, and he was also really supportive of my custom Edge build, which is aways nice. Just as a ballpark estimate, I paid $4700 for the kit installed with a tune, and was going to sell it for under $2000 to give someone a good deal, but the point is to say that it's not as expensive as one would think if you can find the right people. If anyone has any questions regarding turbocharging this car and wants an opinion from someone who's done it, feel free to contact me with a PM, I'd be happy to answer any questions. Have a good one everybody and good luck to anyone who is interested in this idea

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Obviously I wouldn't sell it for anywhere near $10,000, I didn't pay that much and I don't think anyone should pay that much, but that's just what STS said they would charge to make a prototype like this themselves.

The amount that STS would charge to make a prototype like this is what they charged you to make this prototype. The $10K figure is irrelevant.

But as far as the pipes go, they aren't mandrel and are steel because they are under the car where no one would see them

and if you want to make it look prettier and maybe take away a bit of restriction, feel free to use mandrel bend piping.

Form is not the primary reason to use mandrel bends and non-corroding material, function is.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

(1) holy ancient thread resurrection, batman!

(2) very entertaining thread. Not at all informative for somebody who knows anything about turbo setups, but damned entertaining.
(3) JohnnyZilv's tuition was utterly wasted money. I'd love to know what "college" he attended so I know to never send my kid there, and never hire anybody from there. Apparently students of this university don't learn much, if anything at all.

(4) quick51, if you wanna pick somebody's brain about turbocharging or adding boost to a vehicle, JohnnyZilv's is not the brain to pick. Anybody who'd shell out that much money (especially money that should be allocated for a college tuition) for work that poor for what would be pitifully nominal gains at best (seriously, that turbo belongs on a lawn mower, it's so damned small) should never be trusted for advice on anything except how to fail.

I found this thread while searching for options to turbocharge or supercharge my 2010....I do appreciate the laugh, guys. :)

• Like 1