Audio wiring diagram for 2011 edge w/sony 12 speaker & nav

I am looking to upgrade the audio system in my 2011 Ford Edge Limited AWD with the Sony 12 speaker system & navigation.

I will be keeping the stock head unit and replacing about everything else.

My new system will have the following:

JBL MS-8 processor

Image dynamics components in the front & coax in the rear

JL Audio stealthbox w/10 inch 500W sub

JL Audio HD900/5 amp

My problem is that I will need to tap into the wiring either before or after the stock amp/processor which I believe is in the rear with the stock sub.

Does anyone have or know where I could get the wiring diagram or layout for the audio setup?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

We looked for the diagram for quite some time when I worked with a shop for my audio makeover and never found anything. What I do know is that you do not want to get rid of that sony amplifier. You should tap into the speaker wiring after it exits the Sony amp and use a speaker level to line level converter. I am not sure if the JBL processor is capable of that or if it will go between the head unit and your amps. Anyhow, point is that I could never find a wiring diagram. The just had to use a line tester to figure out what the wires were doing.

We looked for the diagram for quite some time when I worked with a shop for my audio makeover and never found anything. What I do know is that you do not want to get rid of that sony amplifier. You should tap into the speaker wiring after it exits the Sony amp and use a speaker level to line level converter. I am not sure if the JBL processor is capable of that or if it will go between the head unit and your amps. Anyhow, point is that I could never find a wiring diagram. The just had to use a line tester to figure out what the wires were doing.

Thanks for the response.

I did finally find the audio wiring diagram. It will make life a little easier when I start the installation .

Can you attach it?? I would really like to have this!

Sure, no problem. I was meaning to upload the pictures of the wiring diagram but it totally slipped my mind.

Anyway, I have attached 3 pictures which shows the wiring diagram for the 2011 Ford Edge Limited with the 12 speaker Sony audio system & Navigation. These diagrams are only for the Sony 12 speaker system and not valid for other factory audio setups.

If I uploaded them in the correct order, the first picture shows the signals from the Head Unit to the DSP/AMP.

The 2nd picture shows the output of the DSP/AMP to the Subwoofer & rear D pillar speakers.

The 3rd picture shows the output of the DSP/AMP to all the remaining speakers.

Keep clicking on the image until you get the full size picture. I think it's like after 2 clicks of the image you will get the clear full size image.

Sony Premium Audio Edge

Sony Premium Audio Edge 2

2011 Edge Sony Premium Audio Wiring Diagram Pic1

The one thing I did not expect was the active output for the Front L & R speakers. There is actually a seperate channel for the L & R tweets & mids.

Of course, this makes installing the JBL MS-8 a little more difficult.

Actually, if anyone has any experience with installing the JBL MS-8, I really could use some advice on installing it with this Sony 12 speaker system.

I'm not exactly sure how I should connect the inputs of the MS-8 from the factory amp due to the active front feeds.

Edited by 4thDoctorWhoFan

Just Curious.....How did the install go? Can you share pics? I really want to add a JL MS-8 to the MFT non-Sony system. I'm curious to see where you put everything. Any info would be great.

I have not installed anything yet. I was waiting for memorial day weekend in order to try and get some good deals on all the equipment I needed.

So far I have the JBL MS8, Image Dynamics coax for the rear and components for the front, Alpine pdx-v9 & I just placed the order for the JL Stealthbox yesterday.

Hopefully I will have everything by this weekend. I doubt I will have time this weekend to install but I should get to it within a few weeks, unless of course I get lazy and go get everything professionally installed. :D

That's how I roll (professionally installed) because I don't want to be the one to damage my vehicle's electrics or something else of the like. I'd rather pay someone else to do it and let them worry about that liability. Plus I'm not 25 years old anymore and I'll admit that I've gotten a bit lazy on some things! :spend:

• Like 1

Where are you thinking of placing the JBL MS-8? Near the HU?

No, not near the HU.

It will be in the rear of the vehicle since the factory amp/processor is in the rear next to the factory subwoofer. Makes wiring much easier.

I don't know exactly where I am going to mount everything yet but I would like to try and get the ms8 & alpine amp installed under the floor around the spare tire so nothing is visible.

Just after I ordered the JL Audio Stealthbox, I get a email from them saying that it might not fit in the 2011 with the 12 speaker sony system. They said I might have to move the factory amp in order to get the stealthbox to fit properly. What's with all the "if's"?? Don't they know if their product will fit properly or not?? ** SIGH **

Yes, the rear makes sense with the Sony system (keep forgetting that minor detail). My non-sony System is all front I believe so I'm searching for a good place towards the front of the vehicle to simply the wiring since my goal is to use the MS-8 as the amp as well. So far the under the front seats don't look like options so should be interesting.

I took a look at the very detailed installation instructions for the Edge stealthbox on JL's site last night, this should help you if you know exactly where the factory amp is installed.

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thank you to 4thDoctorWhoFan. Those wiring diagrams are soooooo much help for research. Did you ever get your system set up? I'd love to see some pictures of how you did everything.

I told myself a million times that the sony speakers will be "good enough". Sure enough, as soon as I heard my friend's new Alpine Type R components, the sonys turned to garbage to my ears. Now it's time to upgrade!

• 1 year later...

"What I do know is that you do not want to get rid of that sony amplifier. You should tap into the speaker wiring after it exits the Sony amp and use a speaker level to line level converter"

I'm getting ready to install a JBL GTO 804EZ 4 channel amp to power the Infinity Kappas 682.11cf 5x7's I put in the doors as they are being way underpowered with the factory Sony amp. I'm also putting in AudioControl Lc7i LOC to connect the two amps (already have another JBL to run my sub) to the factory harness

What is the reason for "not getting rid of the Sony amp"? And why "tap into the speaker harness after the amp"? At this point the signals have already been split and crossed over for all the different speakers.

Both a reputable higher end local shop and a Crutchfield rep advised me to not even bother running the factory pillar tweeters since the Infinty's already have great adjustable tweeters. They both felt that upgrading the tweets is a waste of time and money and that the Inifinity's will sound superior.

• 6 months later...

Sure, no problem. I was meaning to upload the pictures of the wiring diagram but it totally slipped my mind.

Anyway, I have attached 3 pictures which shows the wiring diagram for the 2011 Ford Edge Limited with the 12 speaker Sony audio system & Navigation. These diagrams are only for the Sony 12 speaker system and not valid for other factory audio setups.

If I uploaded them in the correct order, the first picture shows the signals from the Head Unit to the DSP/AMP.

The 2nd picture shows the output of the DSP/AMP to the Subwoofer & rear D pillar speakers.

The 3rd picture shows the output of the DSP/AMP to all the remaining speakers.

Keep clicking on the image until you get the full size picture. I think it's like after 2 clicks of the image you will get the clear full size image.

The one thing I did not expect was the active output for the Front L & R speakers. There is actually a seperate channel for the L & R tweets & mids.

Of course, this makes installing the JBL MS-8 a little more difficult.

Actually, if anyone has any experience with installing the JBL MS-8, I really could use some advice on installing it with this Sony 12 speaker system.

I'm not exactly sure how I should connect the inputs of the MS-8 from the factory amp due to the active front feeds.

@ 4thDoctorWhoFan - I'm curious where you found the wiring diagrams ?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's how I roll (professionally installed) because I don't want to be the one to damage my vehicle's electrics or something else of the like. I'd rather pay someone else to do it and let them worry about that liability. Plus I'm not 25 years old anymore and I'll admit that I've gotten a bit lazy on some things! :spend:

Not being 25 anymore is no excuse... B)

I'm getting ready to install a JBL GTO 804EZ 4 channel amp to power the Infinity Kappas 682.11cf 5x7's I put in the doors as they are being way underpowered with the factory Sony amp. I'm also putting in AudioControl Lc7i LOC to connect the two amps (already have another JBL to run my sub) to the factory harness

What is the reason for "not getting rid of the Sony amp"? And why "tap into the speaker harness after the amp"? At this point the signals have already been split and crossed over for all the different speakers.

Both a reputable higher end local shop and a Crutchfield rep advised me to not even bother running the factory pillar tweeters since the Infinty's already have great adjustable tweeters. They both felt that upgrading the tweets is a waste of time and money and that the Inifinity's will sound superior.

Look familiar?

I kept the amp for 2 reasons

1. Maybe I was being dimwitted, but I never could figure out how to tap into CanBus input correctly so I used the speaker level outs on my 2013. I summed the tweet and door channels at the Lc7i to give the Infinity's a full mid to high range signal because the factory Sony cross over spits them if I am not mistaken

2. Personally think there is a noticeable difference keeping the the tweets even with my Kappas. Really rounds out the sound

post-26462-0-11584300-1467532993_thumb.jpeg

post-26462-0-33224700-1467533059_thumb.jpeg

Edited by edgesportguy
  • Like 1