Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Ford Edge ST Forum Here

Photo
- - - - -

Clicking sound while turning

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MrHappy

MrHappy

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 276 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

So I was riding in my wife's Sport AWD (22s) the other day with the window down and noticed a ticking noise coming from the passenger side (not sure if it's front and/or back) during slow turns. Once the wheel straightens out it stops but something is definitely clicking during the entire turn. I looked to see if I could spot signs of rubbing in either wheel well and didn't but wondered if anyone has a guess or if this is common before I take it into the dealer to be told some BS line. And help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Ford4x4life

Ford4x4life

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

did you ever figure this out? Mine started to sound like rope tightening when i turn right or left. 

#3 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,499 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:03 AM

Ratcheting sound, you mean?  Possibly a halfshaft/drive axle.  At least on the older Edges, there were TSBs out for similar issues (07-11-14 and 07-25-8).  Any recent brake work?

#4 OFFLINE   2011edgese

2011edgese

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 405 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

if you go to the dealer please let us know what it was

#5 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

Ford Edge Member

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 494 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

So I was riding in my wife's Sport AWD (22s) the other day with the window down and noticed a ticking noise coming from the passenger side (not sure if it's front and/or back) during slow turns. Once the wheel straightens out it stops but something is definitely clicking during the entire turn. I looked to see if I could spot signs of rubbing in either wheel well and didn't but wondered if anyone has a guess or if this is common before I take it into the dealer to be told some BS line. And help is appreciated.

Are you still experiencing this concern? If you do decide to head into your Ford Dealer, let me know and I'll look at available options.

Todd

#6 OFFLINE   MrHappy

MrHappy

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 276 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

The front right suspension was replaced and the last time it happened on the front left side the dealer could not reproduce.  It seems to worsen after driving in the rain but thus far it's been quiet again.  I'll update this thread if it recurs and we have to take it back in (now on our extended ESP warranty dime versus free/factory warranty).

#7 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

Ford Edge Member

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 494 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

The front right suspension was replaced and the last time it happened on the front left side the dealer could not reproduce.  It seems to worsen after driving in the rain but thus far it's been quiet again.  I'll update this thread if it recurs and we have to take it back in (now on our extended ESP warranty dime versus free/factory warranty).

Hey there,

I apologize this flew outside of my radar; please keep me abreast of any new developments.

Todd

#8 OFFLINE   Dbm56

Dbm56

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:57 AM

Had the same noise - front brake pads and rotors replaced at dealer - noise gone.

#9 OFFLINE   sisaacs918

sisaacs918

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 10 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:56 PM

2011 Ford Edge Limited FWD here-- I started hearing this right around 100k miles.

I don't know if this is what you were experiencing, but I had a metallic knocking (almost like the sound of a Newton's cradle) that I heard when turning, reversing and accelerating quickly out of parking spots, and sometimes when driving through dips.  It seemed to be coming from somewhere beneath the car.  At first I thought something was hanging down and swinging into things.

It turned out to be CV axles for my front wheel drive.  The rubber housing had worn away, and the metallic knocking I was hearing was the metal components of the axle rubbing on each other.  The Firestone mechanic said that since I was only hearing it occasionally I still had a little time before the repair was needed, but if I started hearing the clicking continuously I would need to get it fixed ASAP or my two front wheels may go askew on my.

I took it in, they replaced the housings, and I haven't heard it for the last 10k!  I hope this helps!

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#10 OFFLINE   Kitulu

Kitulu

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 108 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:12 PM

That is usually the CV joing starting to go out.

#11 OFFLINE   GRACE1172

GRACE1172

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:44 PM

My 2011 ford edge limited is making a clicking noise on front right side when i turn right only.(only happens when engine is cold after i drive for a little it goes away). Check if cv axel boots are bad but a far i could see everything is good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users