:Door Ajar" warning on at all times

Torontoguy

• 2 weeks later...

is this the correct part number for my 2013 Edge 8T4Z7821813A door latch with ajar switch..?? and it appears Dorman makes an aftermarket replacement 937-628.. anybody tried or used the Dorman...??

Ā 

You know if Dorman makes such a normally obscure and typically never replaced part- Ford screwed up the design. Most times, Dorman parts like this will fix what Ford screwed up in their original design. I didn't read all 11 pages to see if Ford has modified this part or not, but if not, I'd be tempted to get the Dorman part. I'm sure it's cheaper than the Ford part too.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

2013 Lincoln MKX, serviced for same issue "door ajar warning" at 77000km April 2016, under warranty. Covered under TSB 14-0011 (which says this on invoice) so it's well known there. Anyways now at 88000km and same issue is happening again. Contacted dealership and they want to fix but not covered warranty now.

2013 Lincoln MKX, serviced for same issue "door ajar warning" at 77000km April 2016, under warranty. Covered under TSB 14-0011 (which says this on invoice) so it's well known there. Anyways now at 88000km and same issue is happening again. Contacted dealership and they want to fix but not covered warranty now.

Hi Jutts05, did you ask how much they want for the repair? Do you know what they did the first time?

Are they changing the door lock?

Update: I had the dealer service mine under TSB-15-0013 September 2015 (8 months), and I've had no issues since the service was performed.

Ā 

Showed up again over the past month or so. Disappointing, but not surprised.

Overall, in spite of a few minor things, my experience with this Edge has been flawless.

Edited by SoMdLimited
  • Like 1

Going to weigh in here....I just bought my 2011 Lincoln MKX and began to notice the "door ajar" signal forcing me to re-close the door....for some reason, I thought to myself, latch assembly problems? What if i used the manual key to lock and unlock the door a few times? I did several lock/unlock cycles with the manual key (aka, insert in lock, twist left and right several times) and I have not seen the "door ajar" light come on since.....not sure if they relate, but somehow, it seems to have helped....

almost 2 years since your post. Any update? Did it work?

I got tired of slamming the driver door up to 7 times to get the DOOR AJAR get away and I ended up going to the dealer to get the latch replaced for $472CAD +13% tax.

Ā 

Here is the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre answer when I contacted them by email:

Ā 

"I am sorry that you are having an issue with the door ajar light on your Edge. I can see why you feel that this is a common issue with all the research you made using the internet. Please understand that if you are visiting a website that is not a Ford of Canada site, those concerns are not monitored by the Transport Canada or Ford of Canada.

Ā 

A Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) is a supplement to a vehicle's repair manual and does not suggest nor provide additional coverage. Coverage of any repair is determined by eligibility under the provisions of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, a Customer Satisfaction Program or a Recall.

Ā 

I wish we could have given you a more favorable response, but as much as we would want to assist our loyal customers with the cost of the repairs outside the usual warranty, only recalls or Customer Satisfaction Programs can permit us to do so. Please be advised that when Ford of Canada recognizes an ongoing issue, a recall or Customer Satisfaction Program (CSP) is put into place. Unfortunately on this case, there are no current programs that could assist you on your request.

Please keep in mind that Transport Canada, which is the federal agency responsible for motor vehicle safety, and is the only organization with the authority to order a recall. If a program is announced on a specific component, we will notify you by mail.

Ā 

I am truly sorry that we cannot meet your expectations in this instance. Thank you for taking the time to write us about the details of your concern.

Ā 

Thank you for contacting Ford of Canada."

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dealer wants $300+ to perform TSB15-0013 that cost $104 1 1/2 years ago. Nearly $500 to replace. I know this issue has been beat to death, but this should not be my problem. It's Ford's problem, and they know full well it is.

I'll replace it myself.

Ā 

So why not find a different dealer? That cost is entirely up to them - Ford isn't involved. I know you're saying Ford should extend the warranty and I agree but since they didn't it's up to you to shop around or DIY.

• 5 weeks later...

Ā 

So why not find a different dealer? That cost is entirely up to them - Ford isn't involved. I know you're saying Ford should extend the warranty and I agree but since they didn't it's up to you to shop around or DIY.

Ā 

After looking into replacing it myself and more YouTube "fixes", I contacted Ford (Pauline) at 1-800-392-3673. We spoke for a few minutes, and she confirmed my vehicle and it's history with the dreaded latch. She told me that Ford would offer $300 toward the replacement at my dealer. I contacted them a few days later and the service writer told me they had been notified by Ford. Took it in and the total bill came in at less than $400, so out of pocket cost was much more acceptable. I realize mechanical/electrical parts will fail, but for everyone that's dealt with this frustrating experience, short of a recall or extending the warranty, this gesture by Ford is a good move.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A polite way of saying "go f*** yourself".

Lol! Man, Ford should treat us better with this issue. I got lucky, my front DS and PS both have me the ajar withing the 2 years bought. I used a sh*t losd of C&C electrical cleaner spray. I sprayed 1 whole can on each door. Aimed the straw from every angle. Hit it from the door latch, pulled the door handle and squeezed the stray of the openings snd finally sprayed through the window slot from above aiming at the door latch area. Just sprayed it until the can ran out. The DS instantly fixed itself while the PS side took 2 more cans. Eventually the PS behaved and it worked. Its been over 2 years the DS has worked and about 10 months the PS has stayed off. I noticed the PS comes one sgain during hot days but stays always off during the rainy season. Give that can a go at it! Might be surprised. But the key is to spray the whole CAN and from all possible angles.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well,,, don't ask me why exactly. but the half can of CRC all over the locking latch fixed it for me. I've had that light on for well over a month and then I tried the electrical cleaner. I spayed it in the "sweet spot" as was posted here and the light went out and has not been back on.

Ā 

thanks for the information

• Like 2