Transmission "sport" mode misnomer????

Gust

I have read the sales brochure as well as the owners manual and am trying to determine the function of the sport mode. On my car it acts simply as a manual gear selection mode and cannot be driven as an automatic trans with a more agressive shifting programming as in my Audi Q5. Is the sport mode supposed to allow gear shifting only thru the + and - rocker on the trans lever or is mine not working properly?

Wow - the manual really doesn't explain this but I think it works the same as the Focus.

If you put it in S without touching the upshift/downshift paddles/buttons it will shift automatically but maintain higher RPM and more aggressive operation.

Once you manually select a gear it will stay in manual mode until you return it to Drive.

Thanks, guys for the responses. The Q5 allows both a sport auto shift and a manual mode if you activate the paddles, hence my confusion on the Edge. Even the service department was not able to answer my question. As I do not have the paddles on the edge, the gear lever has to be moved to the sport position to activate the +/- toggle. It does appear from your comments that the sport mode is actually a manual shift mode and I will make sure to remember I am not in the Q5. The Q5 is somewhat disappointing as a fun, performance vehicle, definitely not as fun driving fast as a BMW, but more than a MB, which is why I usually drive it in S mode with 1st gear takeoff. The V6 is also somewhat under-powered but generally a high quality and very comfortable car. Getting 22.6 MPG ave. (the edge is still not above 16 MPG after a month!!!!).

The transmission should shift out of first when it reaches red line. It is not a true manual because it does up-shift at red line to avoid breaking something. Have you run first gear up to ~6,500-7,000 RPM? Mine up-shifts when it his that mark. Engine sure does whine when it gets there.

It's done for drivability, not to preserve the engine. You can bounce the engine off the rev limiter without any damage. My 2000 LS worked that way - it NEVER upshifted automatically under any circumstance. It would only downshift if you came to a complete stop in 3rd or higher gear. Other mfrs do the same upshift strategy so Ford decided to change it at some point.

On the one hand I don't like it shifting automatically if it's in manual mode - that should be my decision unless it's to downshift to 1st when stopping. OTOH I can't see much use for letting it bounce off the rev limiter repeatedly either.

• 2 months later...

I also thought the Sport mode was just for manual shifting but....in my 2013 SEL AWD v6 if you dont touch the +/- buttons it functions as an automatic and shifts at a slightly higher rpm giving better tourque and breaking. I'm sure at the expense of MPG but I find it much more responsive (and fun) in city driving. If yours is not shifting properly then I would have it checked.

I also thought the Sport mode was just for manual shifting but....in my 2013 SEL AWD v6 if you dont touch the +/- buttons it functions as an automatic and shifts at a slightly higher rpm giving better tourque and breaking. I'm sure at the expense of MPG but I find it much more responsive (and fun) in city driving. If yours is not shifting properly then I would have it checked.

this is odd. i drove a limited awd and when i put it in S, it changed shift points and drove at a more agressive program then D. no need to touch the buttons. however, my sel v6 awd does not shift in S. it stays in gear until you push the button?? if i touch the buttons in D, they do nothing? any info before i contact the dealer would be much appreciated!

-Cheers

Sport Mode and SelectShift Automatic are two different modes really. Your vehicle must be in Sport mode first to activate the SelectShift buttons for manual override but in regular Sport Mode it should work as an automatic. Per the manual:

S (Sport mode) (if equipped)Moving the gearshift lever to S (Sport mode):

Provides additional grade (engine) braking and extends lower gear operation to enhance performance for uphill climbs, hilly terrain or mountainous areas. This will increase engine RPM during engine braking.

Provides additional lower gear operation through the automatic transmission shift strategy which reacts to vehicle inputs (vehicle acceleration, accelerator pedal, brake pedal and vehicle speed).Gears are selected more quickly and at higher engine speeds.

Note: The system will stay in S (Sport) until the gear shift lever is

moved into another gear for example P (park) or D (Drive).

SelectShift Automatic™ Transmission (if equipped Your transmission must be in S (Sport) for SelectShift to operate

properly.

Hope that helps.

so now im really confused. i talked with a tech at the dealer since the sa said he had no idea and he told me when you put it in S, you should have to shift with the buttons. even though the owners manual says otherwise? i drove one that operated in S auto mode and for sure 100% it was shifting like an auto, just in a more sporty fashion. i intentionally played with it to get a feel for the auto. mine does not shift until the limiter. if it had the M instead of the S, i would understand. this is not a huge deal, but i like the option to have it that way as i have driven nothing but manuals for the last 18 years and prefer a little more agressive shift point without pushing the button. plus, does this mean something is wrong with it? every auto trans i have ever driven with an autoshift type feature(including my current X5) had an S mode, until you used the autoshift feature, then it would hold until redline or you selected.

If yours doesn't work like the manual says and others do then it's not working as designed. Just take the service manager for a ride in yours and another one off the lot and show him they're different.

Just to confirm - if you start the vehicle and put it in S without touching any of the shift buttons what happens exactly?

it will go to rev limiter and stay for about a sec and then abrubtly shifts into second. if I don't take it to the limiter and just let off, it stays in gear as well. if i put it in s when cruising, lets say 45mph, it just stays in that gear, whether I floor it or just normally accelerate. I would have to hit the button to downshift.

I would agree with akirby that something isnt right.

Curious though...and depends on which instrument cluster you have (I have sync with MFT and the 4.2 LED's on each side of the speedodometer)....but does your instrument cluster how the gear it is in as soon as you shift into S mode? Or does it not until you touch the +/- buttons for Selectshift mode as it should?

Gust & bimmer848, your cars apparently act similar to 2011 & 2012 Edges where they did have an "M" instead of "S" in the gear shift indicators. The "Sport" mode was introduced in 2013 & as per the manual, should operate like what members OnEdgeinMA & akirby described.

I believe its that your cars, though 2013 models, are programmed with 2012/2011 softwares & hence the way they operate. It would be nice though if we can program our 2011 to get the "Sport" mode.

Edit: Sport mode is mentioned in the Product Sheet for the 2013 Edge under "New and Notable" (2nd point).

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2013_Edge.pdf

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

thanks omar! im going to forward this to them and hopefully this helps. im going to drive another one today and get an appointment. i though it was new for '13 and thought that might be why the tech was unsure of this function, as the previous gen's had the M mode.

edit: i made an appointment for Fri. morn. i'll follow up here when i know more.

Edited by bimmer848

thanks omar! im going to forward this to them and hopefully this helps. im going to drive another one today and get an appointment. i though it was new for '13 and thought that might be why the tech was unsure of this function, as the previous gen's had the M mode.

edit: i made an appointment for Fri. morn. i'll follow up here when i know more.

Good luck and Keep us updated.

so after a lite argument on the phone with the s.a. about the way he's comprehending the sport mode description and the way we all are, they are saying that it is performing correctly and there is nothing they can do and to come pick it up. I am not understanding he tells me...

wrong.

on my way to service to pick up my car i stop by my salesman's desk and he grabs me keys to another edge. i drive it. its functioning the proper way!! not like mine. they dont even know what they are doing. he went to grab a tranny tech so we could do a ride along, but he was out to lunch. so now i have to go back in an hour, but once he see's im right I have no confidence that this particular dealer has the capability to fix it?!

see you in an hour...

update: the tech and I took their Edge for a ride and he said "oh yeah, this is night and day different from yours."

No Shit! Thats what i have been telling them! you think they would have tried to duplicate the problem in another vehicle on their own since i told them i drove two differnt ones before mine and they acted right. He said he never drove one that shifted in proper sport mode. the tech was very young, but very nice. he said that Ford just doesnt keep them as educated as he would like on new features, and i believe him. The sa apologized for his ignorance on this and said he too was unaware of the S mode update. I kept calm and and gave them no hassle, even though they handed me back a freshly washed and waxed ride(done by me, so i requested they didnt wash it)covered in a film of dirt and dust from their shitty lot. i just let it all go as i have been on the other side of this situation too many times before. So now i wait for an answer from Ford as to what is needed to fix it. They are assuming because it is a very early '13 prod. date that it may need an update as mentioned a few posts back. i hope thats the case. one of the reasons i chose this vehicle is for the 6spd. auto WITH sport mode. i will take issue if this can not be sorted to work right.

The drama continues...

Cheers gang!