Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

PTU Leak / Failures

• Please log in to reply
512 replies to this topic

#501 OFFLINE   Lowtalker

Lowtalker

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:50 PM

First off I'm new to the forum and this subject has been discussed rather thoroughly on this site. So, I apologize for beating a dead horse.
Back in Sept this year I purchased a used 2013 Edge SEL AWD with about 50k miles. During my test drive I had it put on a lift to inspect the underbody rust as it was from the NE. There were no signs of leaks anywhere. Rust seemed cosmetic. Not too long after I purchased it, I started noticing a harmonic droning or vibration at 45 mph and higher. First thing I did was check tires. They all had sidewall cracking so, I replaced them with Michelin Latitudes. The sound actually got worse. I had the tire place rotate and re- balance the tires but the sound stayed the same. Went on a 1000 mile trip. The sound never got worse but definitely was bothersome. My next step was to evaluate the brakes and check each wheel for hub wear. However, a few days after returning, I noticed a black spot where I had parked. I looked underneath and a large amount of what ended up being gear oil from the PTU had essentially leaked all over and blew everywhere underneath.

Flash to the dealership. I'm still covered under the power train warranty. So, I take it in, describing that I was investigating a vibration when I noticed all of the oil everywhere. Ultimately, they replace the PTU but told me they had to write it up that I was hearing grinding noises when I was turning at low speeds. He said otherwise a leak wouldn't be covered under warranty. In fact, he said it looked like the PTU had been "hit" by something that cracked the case thus, leaking out all of the fluid. I didn't argue with the service guy, since I got the repair I wanted which was a new PTU under warranty. While I am certain I did not, if I had hit something that managed to crack the PTU then I most likely would have filed it on my insurance. All this being said, I just can't figure out why all the BS about the grinding steering noises. It sounds like PTU failure is a common problem... even the cracked housing part.

Really just curious if anyone relates to this. I feel fortunate to have gotten the repair. But, I am definitely concerned about future failures after all I've read.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, the droning vibration went away. Sorry for the long post.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#502 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,278 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:38 AM

A leaking PTU used to be sufficient cause for replacement.  Ford is moving towards fixing the internals now.  Maybe that's why they wrote it up as they did.

As to the case cracking, never heard of that in an impact-less situation.

#503 OFFLINE   Lowtalker

Lowtalker

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:10 PM

I did not ask to see the cracked part. I was satisfied, at least, that they replaced it. As far as the PTU actually being cracked, I don't really know. Either the crack was present when I purchased it and yet still not leaking, or it is just part of the story the service department cooks up for a warranty repair. I have certainly not impacted anything with this car. Seems like a difficult thing to be impacted by something. Oh well, I guess I'll be more careful.

So, it sounds like from some of the things I've read that I might need to make the PTU part of normal maintenance. Any thoughts on that? Would suctioning out and then refilling be sufficient? How often? Read one post where someone drilled and tapped the PTU for a drain plug. I like the idea. I might be nervous trying that, though.

On a side note. I believe the PTU was leaking a couple thousand miles before I noticed it. I was traveling across the country stopping here and there, rest areas, hotels, etc. It is very possible that it was dripping and I simply didn't notice until after I got home. Based on someone's description of smelling the leak when they got to a stop after highway driving, I'm pretty sure I was smelling it from Colorado to NC. But I had recently gotten my oil changed and just chalked it up to that. Normally I'd change it myself, but I was in the middle of a long road trip. For the record, I had the oil change place only change the oil and specifically told them not to check fluids under the car. Don't really want them messing around down there.

#504 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:05 AM

Mostly highway?  30K mile intervals for the PTU/60K for the RDU should be sufficient.  Mixed or mostly city, cut that in half.  Yes, drain & refill should be sufficient.  Drain plug definitely makes it easier to do a complete service in one shot, but not necessary.  Use the time to find a reputable shop (non-dealer) that can take the info on this forum and put the plug in for you.  I get the nervousness.  Having just gotten a new PTU, what to do, right?  Keep on a strict fluid change regimen, and find a place to change out the RDU fluid as soon as possible so you can get on a proper schedule.

#505 ONLINE   1004ron

1004ron

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 114 posts
  • Edge's Year:2017

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:00 PM

Mostly highway?  30K mile intervals for the PTU/60K for the RDU should be sufficient.  Mixed or mostly city, cut that in half.  Yes, drain & refill should be sufficient.  Drain plug definitely makes it easier to do a complete service in one shot, but not necessary.  Use the time to find a reputable shop (non-dealer) that can take the info on this forum and put the plug in for you.  I get the nervousness.  Having just gotten a new PTU, what to do, right?  Keep on a strict fluid change regimen, and find a place to change out the RDU fluid as soon as possible so you can get on a proper schedule.

Is the RDU oil change straight forward - I guess you need to use an oil extractor, or do folks pull the rear cover and replace the gasket?

#506 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:25 PM

Same as PTU except easier access to the fill plug.  No drain plug yet on the RDU.  Most do not take off the cover to drain.  The "gasket" is RTV silicone.

#507 OFFLINE   chefduane

chefduane

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 560 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:19 AM

+1   I just did a 'suck and fill' on my RDU.  Pretty easy to do.

#508 ONLINE   1004ron

1004ron

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:37 PM

Took a look under rear end, and as can be seen in the photo of the RDU, I'll most certainly not be pulling the rear cover, but good to hear that 'suck & fill' works well.

One more question, what oil is recommended by the forum members - the owners manual doesn't specify synthetic, so would syn be better or could it cause problems?

I was thinking of using this oil: Royal Purple 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil 01300

Attached Files

Edited by 1004ron, 09 December 2017 - 08:54 PM.

#509 OFFLINE   chefduane

chefduane

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 560 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:47 AM

RDU spec is Motorcraft 80w-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant XY-80W90-QL about 2.4 Pints/1.15L or until she blurbs a bit out of the fill hole.

PTU spec is Motorcraft 75w-140 Synthetic Lubricant XY-75W140-QL/WSL-M2C192A 12oz/.35L or until she blurbs out the fill hole.

If you want to strictly stay with spec then go with the Motorcraft, but I would think that the Royal Purple 75W90 would probably be ok for the RDU.

Disclaimer:  This is spec for a 2011 Limited AWD.

#510 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:09 AM

The product choices from Motorcraft are listed here:

https://www.fcsdchem...ransaxle Fluid]

bullet.gif   Additive Friction Modifier bullet.gif   SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant bullet.gif   SAE 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant bullet.gif   SAE 75W-90 Premium Synthetic Transaxle Lubricant bullet.gif   SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant bullet.gif   SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant

Looks like the 80W90 product is not full synthetic but the 75W90 is.  Anyhoo, x2 on chefduane's comment.  RP 75W90 will be a good step up, Redline and Amsoil would be the best non-custom products available.

https://www.redlineo...0-gl-5-gear-oil

https://www.redlineo...l Tech Info.pdf

https://www.amsoil.c...016 FORD EDGE P

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W, 10 December 2017 - 07:25 AM.

#511 ONLINE   1004ron

1004ron

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for all the useful comments.

I decided to order 3 quarts of the Redline GL-5  - is that best suited, or the standard non-GL-5 ?

Red Line 57904 (75W90) Synthetic Gear Oil - 1 Quart

#512 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:19 AM

That one should work well.  I would say even to go with the SuperLightweight Shockproof, but that is not Redline approved for our applications.  I think a chat with them would be merited to help make your decision if you want to stick with "approved".

#513 ONLINE   1004ron

1004ron

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:32 AM

That one should work well.  I would say even to go with the SuperLightweight Shockproof, but that is not Redline approved for our applications.  I think a chat with them would be merited to help make your decision if you want to stick with "approved".

Thanks.

I'll stick with the GL-5, seeing as the application isn't really very strenuous.

I have been using the Shockproof in my Harley transmission for many years. 

Now to find a pump that fits the smaller opening on the Red Line bottles.

Edited by 1004ron, 13 December 2017 - 09:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users