Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Ford Edge ST Forum Here

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

PTU Leak / Failures

• Please log in to reply
577 replies to this topic

#561 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,882 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:13 PM

Do you feel that you really need AWD? Plenty of folks here (Northern Indiana) that get around just fine with FWD.
  • edge1217 likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#562 OFFLINE   chefduane

chefduane

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 671 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:42 AM

Enigma, a reasonable and logical question.

My last 2 Explorers were 4WD and I really like 4WD.  Here in NTX we get some nasty gully washers and an ice storm or two per season.   Also, we go to East Tennessee sometimes for the holidays and it is nice to have the 4WD.  Those are a few of the reasons I opted for AWD on the Edge - while I know it is nothing near 4WD, AWD gives/gave me a somewhat better feeling of surefootedness in bad weather and questionable road conditions.  That said, if I had it to do over again (in deciding to buy an AWD Edge) I might reconsider getting the AWD due to the issues with the PTU.  Knock wood, my PTU has not been a problem in 88k miles so far.  And I change the gear oil religiously at 20k mile intervals with full synth (and I think that has a lot to do with not having any issues) but I know that POSSIBLY at any time it could develop a leak or outright failure and be a $4k problem.  That, I do not need.  I've had a number of FWD cars through the years and known them to be pretty reliable and tough.  The transverse mounted FWD 6 cylinder configuration has proven itself to be a winner.  And if driven properly, can be sure footed on ice/snowy/etc roads.  When/If I do trade/sell this current Edge it certainly will be a Limited (I like the bells, whistles, and amenities) but I will pause to consider if I want to buy an AWD again.  If Ford could figure out how to make the PTU more reliable and robust there would be no reason for pause but as it stands today with the current design of the PTU, I may not buy another AWD. Or I might just buy a darned Subaru Ascent Limited w/ their Symmetrical AWD System and not have to worry about it ever again.   :)

• edge1217 likes this

#563 OFFLINE   edge1217

edge1217

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:37 AM

Do you feel that you really need AWD? Plenty of folks here (Northern Indiana) that get around just fine with FWD.

I considered forgetting about AWD but I live in CT where the snow flies, and there's not a straight, level stretch of road anywhere nearby. The AWD has really helped me on more than a few occasions, and it's reassuring in snowy weather to switch to the AWD dash display and see how all 4 paws are digging in. FWD would eliminate the PTU worries, but I'd really have to think pretty hard about giving up the benefit of AWD. It's an option, but it's one I have to warm up to. 

#564 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:59 AM

I have AWD, had the PTU replaced last year under extended warranty. Also have the lubricant changed by local dealer every 30k. (Although I haven't changed it since it was replaced).

#565 ONLINE   1004ron

1004ron

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 221 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2017

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:17 PM

I have AWD, had the PTU replaced last year under extended warranty. Also have the lubricant changed by local dealer every 30k. (Although I haven't changed it since it was replaced).

If yours failed doing 30K oil change intervals I need to consider doing mine every 15K.

I wonder what the current models failure rate actually is, and if there's any stats to confirm that oil changes are really effective in avoiding failures vs Ford's "filled for life".

#566 OFFLINE   CTFordfan

CTFordfan

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 55 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast

Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:11 PM

I had 152,800 when I traded in my 11 sel awd. Never any issue with the ptu- fluid was never changed that i know of. Worked fine. No issues. I did buy a 17 awd and love it.
  • edge1217 likes this

#567 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:04 PM

If yours failed doing 30K oil change intervals I need to consider doing mine every 15K.

No, not really. It started its life as a snowbird and towed boats. When I bought it, it had 80k or (don't remember now), and I waited about a year before hitting the threads on the PTUs. It didn't really fsil, the tech found a small leak (nothing on garage floor) and suggested they replace the seal (which is what I thought they did). Service record shows that it's a non-serviceable unit so the replaced entire unit. (Only has about 10K since, don't drive much any more.)
I discussed the fluid changes with the Service Manager (NOT the service rep) and he felt 30k was adaquate. (Also asked about differential and he said no, no need as it's not a convenial rear end.)

#568 OFFLINE   omar302

omar302

Ford Edge Addict

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 1,849 posts
  • Region:Middle East
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:10 AM

Ford recommends 9K or 20K mile PTU Oil change interval in the Middle East / GCC (Hot Climate):

post-24673-0-61645000-1521435345.jpg

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#569 OFFLINE   edge1217

edge1217

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:29 AM

I had 152,800 when I traded in my 11 sel awd. Never any issue with the ptu- fluid was never changed that i know of. Worked fine. No issues. I did buy a 17 awd and love it.

Hey CTFordfan. Oxford? Small world, I'm just on the other side of the Stevenson dam. I'm still thinking about buying a 2nd Gen Edge, but getting the FWD instead. I've loved my Edge and I really like some of the changes they made to the 2nd Gen models. I am still seriously considering buying another one, but I'm just not as enthusiastic about it as I was a couple of weeks ago before my PTU problem. If I do get another Edge, I'll be shopping around for another dealership. If you don't mind, I'll PM you to ask about your dealership experiences with your two Edges. 

#570 OFFLINE   edge1217

edge1217

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:32 PM

I just picked up my 2013 Edge LTD AWD from the dealer. They changed the PTU last week, and after just 37 miles on the new PTU I noticed it was leaking again from the same spot. I brought it back today, and the Service Advisor and the Service Manager both told me that the "new" leak was actually just residual transmission fluid from when the 1st PTU had blown out the upper valve. They said the old transmission fluid collected inside the lower transmission mount, and the old fluid was dripping out of that. The repair ticket says they removed the lower mount and drained the residual fluid out of it, cleaned it, and then let the vehicle run on the lift for about 45 minutes. They checked again for fluid leaks and saw nothing, and they assured me there will be no more drips now. They're the "experts" and I'm hoping they are right, but my gut tells me I'll be back there again next week.

#571 ONLINE   1004ron

1004ron

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:47 PM

I just picked up my 2013 Edge LTD AWD from the dealer. They changed the PTU last week, and after just 37 miles on the new PTU I noticed it was leaking again from the same spot. I brought it back today, and the Service Advisor and the Service Manager both told me that the "new" leak was actually just residual transmission fluid from when the 1st PTU had blown out the upper valve. They said the old transmission fluid collected inside the lower transmission mount, and the old fluid was dripping out of that. The repair ticket says they removed the lower mount and drained the residual fluid out of it, cleaned it, and then let the vehicle run on the lift for about 45 minutes. They checked again for fluid leaks and saw nothing, and they assured me there will be no more drips now. They're the "experts" and I'm hoping they are right, but my gut tells me I'll be back there again next week.

My gut also tells me you'll be back - is it a warranty repair, and if so can't you take it to another dealer?

#572 ONLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,708 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

Did they clean out the undercarriage to ensure the leak is truly gone or easily spotted for next time?

#573 OFFLINE   edge1217

edge1217

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:26 PM

My gut also tells me you'll be back - is it a warranty repair, and if so can't you take it to another dealer?

It's covered on the Extended Service Plan warranty for now. The Factory Warranty didn't apply because while I was still within the mileage limitation, I was over the time limit. With the ESP my PTU replacement cost me $100 deductible, and I believe the new PTU is covered for 2 years under the Parts warranty. If the new PTU drips again, I will take it to another dealer rather than deal with my current guys again. 

#574 OFFLINE   edge1217

edge1217

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 03:55 PM

Did they clean out the undercarriage to ensure the leak is truly gone or easily spotted for next time?

They claim that they cleaned it and saw no new drips after running it on the lift and test driving it later. I haven't looked under the car yet. Right now I have the car in my garage with a paper towel on the floor. I'm afraid to look..... 

#575 ONLINE   1004ron

1004ron

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:39 PM

the Service Advisor and the Service Manager both told me that the "new" leak was actually just residual transmission fluid from when the 1st PTU had blown out the upper valve. They said the old transmission fluid collected inside the lower transmission mount, and the old fluid was dripping out of that. .

Does your PTU use transmission oil or gear oil?

#576 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,882 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:10 PM

Ford recommends 9K or 20K mile PTU Oil change interval in the Middle East / GCC (Hot Climate):

post-24673-0-61645000-1521435345.jpg

Here in the states the recommended fluid change interval is 60,000 miles if towing trailer, running on dusty roads, excessive idling such as taxi, police, etc. or off-road driving. Under normal schedules, the PTU fluid must be changed anytime the unit has been submerged. Also goes on to state that the use of fluids not meeting Ford spec are to be changed at 3,000 miles.

#577 ONLINE   1004ron

1004ron

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:20 PM

Rear Axle and PTU Maintenance

The Power Transfer Unit (PTU) and rear axle (AWD only) in your vehicle does not require any normal scheduled maintenance, unless the vehicle has experienced extended periods of extreme or severe duty cycle driving or both PTU and the axle has been submerged in water. Checking the PTU and rear axle fluid is not necessary unless the unit shows signs of leakage. Contact an authorized dealer for service.

So for most owners in the US Ford considers the PTU lubed for life.

Edited by 1004ron, 10 April 2018 - 05:20 PM.

#578 OFFLINE   edge1217

edge1217

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:27 PM

Does your PTU use transmission oil or gear oil?

Glad you picked up on that. They kept calling it transmission fluid when they talked to me, and they wrote it up that way on the repair ticket. That threw me, because I thought the PTU used a heavy synth gear oil. The original leak was a very black, sludgy kind of drip. The fluid that leaked out after the PTU replacement was definitely lighter in color and viscosity than gear oil, kind of a very light colored reddish brown, which seemed to me more like old trans fluid like they were saying. I actually brought the paper towel to show them how light colored and thin the fluid was, and they both looked at it and said it's old trans fluid that "blew out the top valve" on the PTU and dripped onto the lower trans mount. That really confuses me, because I thought when stuff blew out the top valve, it was gear oil. Is it possible that trans fluid could have leaked out somehow during the PTU replacement? I think I'd better check my trans fluid level before I take the car out..... 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users