#641 OFFLINE   tk2fast

tk2fast

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 73 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 26 August 2018 - 03:01 PM

There is another factor at play here. All PTU's, irregardless of brand, will fail. It's inherent in its design. The factor is the service dealer. My local dealer checks all PTU's at every oil change. (That's how they found my PTU starting to leak around the seal. Gen 1.) Non-Ford mechanics, including handyman oil changes, probably never check the unit. Early detection is the key. It's a lot cheaper to change the seal than to replace the entire unit. The seal starts to leak, unit loses fluid and what's left overheats and fries into goo, resulting in failure.

My local service manager told me that he recommended fluid change at 36k. But they don't push it with customers as it's not a Ford servicable unit. Just for those who ask for if. (Me and one other guy).

Talked to him about using Amsoil and he said they only use Motorcraft designed for this application. He thought that it wasn't the fluid failing, rather the seal getting old and starting to leak. (Mine starting to leak around 92k.) They replaced it under extended warranty and should be good for another 80-90k or so.

All good points for sure. More Ford dealers need to be up to date on this as it would help prevent a lot of heartaches. I posted Amsoil Severe Gear Lube earlier just a help as it's new packaging might make it easier to fill. I do think that Amsoil has a little higher heat tolerance than the Ford lube though. But really the most important issue is just changing the fluid, period. There are a lot of good synthetic gear lubes out there and I'm sure Ford's is very good.

May I ask if you think the extended warranty is good to have. I've looked into it and for less than 2K one can get the best premium care warranty, with zero deductible. Would like to know what others think about this also.

Edited by tk2fast, 26 August 2018 - 03:22 PM.

• onyxbfly likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#642 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 3,338 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:39 PM

May I ask if you think the extended warranty is good to have. I've looked into it and for less than 2K one can get the best premium care warranty, with zero deductible. Would like to know what others think about this also.

This has been discussed here at great length. Is it worth it? No one can answer this. I have a gen 1 MKX and for me, yes. I like to keep my car nice as possible. On my last warranty, it more than paid for itself. And not just one repair, but over several. They replaced the PTU and what's that worth? Add $600 for this, $475 for that, etc. and yes, it was worth it for me. (Seems like everything costs hundreds. My first repair was for a broken vacuum hose. It turned out it was on the back of the engine and required a bunch of parts to be removed before they could get to it. Then there's the cost of the custom hose itself. Nothing's cheap anymore.)

I currently have ano extended warranty covering all of the engine and power train. Bought it mainly as insurance agaist a water pump failure. If that happens, I break even. If it takes out the engine, I'm thousands ahead. I also get a loaner for all repairs where they keep it overnight & free car washes. Free roadside assistance (had used it when I had a flat while driving. Guy came and changed my tire in driving rain. Nice!

What I did was to go online, Google ford extended warranty, got three estimates, printed them out and took to local dealer. Let him give his price and showed him what I could get from other ford dealers. He immediately matched. I looked at him and asked what else he could do. He offered $0-deductible if I had repair's done there. (Big smile). They will ask for $100 for a detailed inspection. If they find anything, you will need to have it repaired before they will cover. (Don't want to fix a pre-existing condition).

Remember there are three levels of warranty. You don't have to take the mosr expensive.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W, onyxbfly and tk2fast like this

#643 OFFLINE   tk2fast

tk2fast

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:56 PM

Thanks enigma-2. Great info. These new vehicles are quite complex and with that the greater the chance for more to go wrong, so I was thinking that it might be prudent to have an extended warranty.

• onyxbfly likes this

#644 OFFLINE   tk2fast

tk2fast

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:49 AM

This is in the new 2019 Edge owners manual.

Rear Axle and PTU Maintenance
The Power Transfer Unit (PTU) and rear axle (All-wheel Drive only) in your vehicle does not require any normal scheduled maintenance, unless the vehicle has experienced extended periods of extreme or severe duty cycle driving or both PTU and the axle has been submerged in water. Checking the PTU and rear axle fluid is not necessary unless the unit shows signs of leakage. Contact an authorized dealer for service.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#645 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 9,226 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:05 AM

yeah no different than 2007.

#646 OFFLINE   erikrichard

erikrichard

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 27 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 03 September 2018 - 12:02 PM

So how does Ford specify to fill the ptu? I've read 1" below the bottom of the fill hole, 1/4" below it and just dribbling out the bottom of the fill hole - I'm confused. I also have no idea how one would go about putting in a precise measurement below the bottom of the fill hole. 

Edited by erikrichard, 03 September 2018 - 12:04 PM.

#647 OFFLINE   1004ron

1004ron

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 384 posts
  • Edge's Year:2017

Posted 03 September 2018 - 12:34 PM

So how does Ford specify to fill the ptu? I've read 1" below the bottom of the fill hole, 1/4" below it and just dribbling out the bottom of the fill hole - I'm confused. I also have no idea how one would go about putting in a precise measurement below the bottom of the fill hole. 

Where did you read that?

Fill it to the fill hole.

#648 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:24 PM

Ford tech at dealer told me it required a specific amount. He put that amount in and no more. Don't remember how much, wasn't much. Expensive as I remember it.

#649 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:29 PM

to the bottom of the fill hole.  has been standard procedure since they updated the location of the fill plug in the PTU after 5/10/2007.  There is a TSB 07-16-10 addressing this changeover.

#650 OFFLINE   erikrichard

erikrichard

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 11:58 AM

Just thought I'd share my experience. I recently bought a 2010 Limited awd Edge with 117,000 miles. I did a drain/fill on the trans and a couple drain fills on the coolant and replaced the spark plugs which were most definitely original. The Carfax I received showed regular oil changes, and was done right before I bought it by the dealer who sold it to me. I removed the ptu fill plug and stuck a white zip tie all the way down into it, and what came out was golden brown fluid that smelled just like new gear oil, not a hint of this black mess I keep reading about. There is nothing in the carfax to show the ptu has been touched, and I'm making the assumption it's never been touched, although of course I may be wrong. I called the dealer and asked them their opinion on whether I should change the fluid they said no, just keep an eye out for any leaks and leave it alone otherwise. 

It's hard to understand all the disasters I've read about these Ford ptus, and the pics of the black tar inside the cases are simply hard to believe. The only thing that makes sense is that Ford hasn't done a good enough job with the tolerances when building these ptus, and a sizeable percentage come off the line just far enough off to allow seals to fail, transmission fluid to enter the ptu, overheating caused by the gears not aligned properly etc. I believe that the vast majority of these ptus are good for the life of the vehicle, however long that lasts, but if you are unlucky enough to get a poorly build unit you end up with black goo and lack of lubrication. In other words, I don't think it's a design failure due to being too close to the cat, or too little fluid capacity as some think, but rather tolerances that are too large that produce a small % of ptus that don't last, while most are fine for the life of the vehicle without fluid replacement as Ford recommends. 

I am really relieved at the condition of the fluid inside my ptu, and for anyone considering buying a used Ford with one of these ptus I would tell them not to consider buying it unless you pulled the plug and took a look at the condition of the fluid first.

Update: I decided to replace the fluid today anyway, and don't plan to ever open the plug again. What a messy btch of a job.

Edited by erikrichard, 06 September 2018 - 03:52 PM.

#651 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:54 PM

Or you got lucky and the previous owner did indeed service the PTU/RDU regularly.  Check the RDU and let us know how the fluid looks.  Sometimes owners come from 4x4 backgrounds where regular fluid replacement is indeed a thing and carry over that mentality to "newer, improved, bestest" vehicles.

#652 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:30 PM

My guess it was replaced by the previous owner. May have been under an extended warranty. Could have the dealer run the service history.

#653 OFFLINE   15GTStang

15GTStang

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Edge's Year:2018

Posted 09 September 2018 - 12:18 PM

Recently purchased a brand new Edge Sport. Got it home and over the course of a week, I was noticing red transmission fluid on my garage floor. Took it in last Friday and they confirmed that it was a bad PTU leaking. It only has 400 miles on it and I'm fairly upset that PTU failures are still an issue. What is the longevity of these PTU's after they have been replaced? Is this going to be an ongoing thing? 

#654 OFFLINE   1004ron

1004ron

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 384 posts
  • Edge's Year:2017

Posted 09 September 2018 - 01:14 PM

Recently purchased a brand new Edge Sport. Got it home and over the course of a week, I was noticing red transmission fluid on my garage floor. Took it in last Friday and they confirmed that it was a bad PTU leaking. It only has 400 miles on it and I'm fairly upset that PTU failures are still an issue. What is the longevity of these PTU's after they have been replaced? Is this going to be an ongoing thing? 

My 2017 Sport has 29,000 on the clock and no issues with the PTU, and I've read about others with high mileage, some having done maintenance and some zero maintenance, with no issues.

Edited by 1004ron, 09 September 2018 - 01:15 PM.

#655 OFFLINE   15GTStang

15GTStang

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Edge's Year:2018

Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:51 PM

My 2017 Sport has 29,000 on the clock and no issues with the PTU, and I've read about others with high mileage, some having done maintenance and some zero maintenance, with no issues.

That's good to know! I hope this will be the last time it needs any sort of maintenance. Otherwise it is a stellar vehicle!

#656 OFFLINE   Tightanium

Tightanium

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 119 posts
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 09 September 2018 - 10:54 PM

2016 Tightanium with 30k. No leaks. Oil changed at 28k and looked fine. Probably didn’t need to do it but since I have a drain plug I’m not taking any chances.

#657 OFFLINE   vrdublu

vrdublu

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 53 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:57 AM

I also just recently performed a PTU and RDU oil replacement. The first time the oil changes were done was at 80, 000 KM at the dealership. The second was done by myself at 167,000km. The PTU was darker than the new oil, but flowed nicely and probably could have stayed in there longer. The PTU was surprisingly easier to get out than the RDU. The RDU I struggled to get a hose in there to suck out the old fluid, I just couldn't get the right angle no matter what I tried. I eventually only got 1/2" liter of fluid out of the RDU. Neither fluid really required servicing, but it's done and gives me a piece of mind for the time being.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users