Consumer reports on 5 cars to avoid

Depiry

Ford Edge (V-6)

The stylish lines of this crossover SUV might catch your eye, but we suggest that you keep on looking. In our testing of the V-6 all-wheel drive version, we found a jittery ride, pronounced road noise, and distracting controls, especially with the complicated and unintuitive MyFord Touch infotainment system. And in our annual survey of subscribers, it had much-worse-than-average reliability. There is also a turbo four-cylinder engine that works well and gets better fuel economy, but it can't be paired with all-wheel drive. For about the same price, better alternatives include the Toyota Highlander, Nissan Murano, and Mazda CX-9

Re the road noise and wind noise for that matter, I think it is a variable and that on some Edge's it is much worse than on others. I have a 2010 that is definitely louder in both area's than my 2008. Although Ford dont want to talk about my issue, it is of note that as reported on this forum, the Ford CEO (Mr Mulhalley I think i have the spelling correct but!) announced a significant investment in robotics for door assembly to eliminate variability and subsequent interior noise. In my case, it is such (for a $45,000+) car that Ford is no longer my automatic #1 supplier.

My O7 SEL+ Edge (all wheel drive with the Big Ass Sunroof) in 100,000 miles, has needed a change of plugs and a replacement Brake Booster. Other than the fact that a jammed CD just distroyed the changer, it has been a great ride. I have no complaints about the ride quality or road or wind noise on my 18 wheels and OEM shocks and springs. The new brake booster and a switch to highly rated brake pads even turned this into a good stopping vehicle. But again, my vehicle is not equipped with any of that new electronic stuff that is driving too many people nuts.

They think MyFordTouch is dangerous.

Exactly. I picture a bunch of old men at CR poking at the MFT screen saying, "Why do automakers need to use all this new fangled technology?! Back in my day we had huge knobs all over the dash and we liked it!!!"

As far as jittery and road noise are concerned, I have no idea where they came up with that. My Edge has been the smoothest and quietest vehicle I've ever owned and I love driving it on long trips. Maybe their hearing aids weren't adjusted properly that day.

• Like 2

Well, geez....I must be in the "minority" that doesn't listen to everything CR says. I am on my second Edge and have had good luck with both. Prior to that, I had a 2002 Maxima that spent way more time in the shop than either Edge I owned due to the TSBs that, if combined, would equal the White Pages for Joplin, MO.

What bothers me about the article most is that they specifically call out the V6 but they don't state what specifically is bad with the V6. They mention things like ride and controls but that would be common with the turbo'd four which they state works well and get better mpg. Just makes no sense. I am fine with them hating on the ride but at least if you call out a specific engine have a real reason for doing so.

• Like 1

Now there's something I wish I could unread, considering I bought an Edge Limited two weeks ago. I spent a lot of time surfing the web for user opinions, reviews and articles on the Edge. The biggest problem I read about was the MFT, that dang-burn new fangled interface that was confounding every driver with black screens and reboots. Did CR slam BMW when they introduced their iDrive system with that dang-burn new fangled interface that was confounding every driver with black screens and reboots? Other issues I read about concerned brakes and the tranny, but those problems seemed random and rare. I Googled "Ford Edge Review" and found rankings averaging between 7 and 8.5 out of 10 from pro reviewers and consumers alike. I'm completely satisfied with my new Edge. And the new software on the MFT is logical and well laid out, right down to the color coding. But damn, that article does give me pause when I think about trading and resale value in a couple of years. CR paints with a broad brush and consumers will take that one line and run with it no matter how good the Edge is.

• Like 1

Most everything I have read on the Edge has been good up until now. I am really not going to let this sway me another direction, especially after I ordered my. 2013 Edge AWD Limited back in June. I personally can't wait until it arrives in about three weeks. People who have purchased their Edge seem to be very happy with their car, and that is what is important to me. Do you love your Edge, that is the question? If you do and it moves you like it should, great decision, if not find something that does. As for me, time will tell. I feel like a child counting down the days until Christmas.

Tequila: I had a 2008 Edge SE before my 2011. With 105k on the clock, I got $12,000 on trade. No loyalty discounts or rebates, either. This alone causes me to take CR's opinions worth a grain of salt when it comes to these vehicles. I enjoyed my 2008 Edge and am having a ball with my 2011.

I haven't driven the others to comment but I so think it is poor reporting to state the V6 should be avoided when all they talk about are ride and infotainment issues then say the turbo is good. Just more people talking crap. The funny thing is these same people probably complained about the softer ride in the previous models and how it had too much roll.

• Like 1

Agree with the jittery ride but the Edge having "pronounced road noise" is a ridiculous claim. I've driven the Highlander, Murano and CX-9 and they all have much more road noise then my 11 SEL. Maybe they tested it on a gravel road!!!!!

jittery ride? Didn't notice this! I love my 2011 Sport. If I had the money, I would buy a other one to commute. :-)

jittery ride? Didn't notice this! I love my 2011 Sport. If I had the money, I would buy a other one to commute. :-)

Maybe stiff or firm would be a better description. Driving on Michigan roads is a really good test for any suspension. The roads are so bad here that I've noticed my 2011 Edge is starting to get some dash rattles with less then 20,000 miles on her. My 2010 Edge was definitely tuned for a much smoother ride. I love my 11 but wish she was tuned for a softer ride.

Not that far away from 1st anniversary of owning mine, with absolutely ZERO issues whatsoever - not even from MFT, and yes I use voice commands almost exclusively. As for other aspects of the vehicle, it's roomy, quiet, and with the awd is great for year round use in my neck of the woods what with our severe winters. One more note on the "quiet" thing, since CR mentioned it, and I"m not sure what differences there may be between models, but my Limited version is very very quiet whether around town, or on the highway. It was one of the reason actually after a test drive when both my wife and I remarked on it, that sold us on this one in particular. My wife's Acura RDX is noticeably louder on the highway especially, and it's not even really all that "bad" as far as that aspect goes either.

Edited by Scorpio

Anyone that follows CR is waisting their time. CR reports the best car by which company is willing to pay them the most. It has always been and will always be a joke.

I'm not a CR fan but that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. They may be biased and ignorant about cars but they're not on the take.

• Like 1

Anyone that follows CR is waisting their time. CR reports the best car by which company is willing to pay them the most. It has always been and will always be a joke.

I highly doubt they receive money. As far as their vehicle reviews go, they just strike me as uninformed non-auto-enthusiests who think that beige camrys with beige interiors are the best thing to ever come out of the automotive industry.

• Like 2