Shift to Park Warning when it's in Park

AmyLovesHerEdge

I had the same issue 2013 limited 28000 miles after three trips back to the dealer and a nasty conversation with "big blue corporate" the shifter was replaced, according to my dealer a new shifter design is coming out in September 2014, all that they are doing right now is replacing the defective design shifter with another and crossing thei fingers that it fixes the problem. What a joke, between the shifter and the SYNC issues i have been to my dealer 15 times in two years, unacceptable !!! Too bad the car was nice when it was new, now it is worth half its price after just two years :cry:

• 3 months later...

This has been happening to me for a couple of months now. I have a 2012 Ford Edge Limited that is just out of warranty. I took it to the dealer today for the most recent recall and asked the Service Advisor if he had heard of the "Shift to Park" issue. He said he had not and that he hadn't had any other vehicles in service for that issue. When I asked the Service Advisor if they would take a look at it while it was in for service, the first question he asked me was if I had an extended warranty. I did not. Then he said it would be $100 just for them to take a look at it. If there was something wrong and i elected to have it fixed, the $100 would go towards the repairs. If there wasn't anything wrong or I elected not to have it repaired, the $100 would go to pay the mechanics. This is my very first Ford vehicle and with all the recalls and issues I have had with a $40k plus vehicle as well as the experience with the Ford Dealerships, it may very well be my last.

Sorry to hear you are having this issue. But from what you have posted, the response is a normal one from a service center. Should this issue exist on a relatively-low mileage vehicle? No. But these days, I think you will find these issues exist with pretty much every brand out there, seems to be almost modus operandi nowadays.

If you like, you can work with our on-board Ford Cust Svc rep (Todd/Tricia), give them the service history, and see how they might be able to help you. You do need 5 posts to use the PM facility, and can use the Test Forum to get to that post count.

This has been happening to me for a couple of months now. I have a 2012 Ford Edge Limited that is just out of warranty. I took it to the dealer today for the most recent recall and asked the Service Advisor if he had heard of the "Shift to Park" issue. He said he had not and that he hadn't had any other vehicles in service for that issue. When I asked the Service Advisor if they would take a look at it while it was in for service, the first question he asked me was if I had an extended warranty. I did not. Then he said it would be $100 just for them to take a look at it. If there was something wrong and i elected to have it fixed, the $100 would go towards the repairs. If there wasn't anything wrong or I elected not to have it repaired, the $100 would go to pay the mechanics. This is my very first Ford vehicle and with all the recalls and issues I have had with a $40k plus vehicle as well as the experience with the Ford Dealerships, it may very well be my last.

Hey kb3130,

I’d like to look into this further for you. Once you are able to send a private message (PM) please send over your full name, VIN, dealer name, in-depth details of vehicle symptoms, mileage, and best daytime phone number.

Once this info is received, I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist.

Sorry to hear you are having this issue. But from what you have posted, the response is a normal one from a service center. Should this issue exist on a relatively-low mileage vehicle? No. But these days, I think you will find these issues exist with pretty much every brand out there, seems to be almost modus operandi nowadays.

If you like, you can work with our on-board Ford Cust Svc rep (Todd/Tricia), give them the service history, and see how they might be able to help you. You do need 5 posts to use the PM facility, and can use the Test Forum to get to that post count.

WWWPerfA_ZN0W,

Thanks for the mention and letting our Ford Family member know how to reach us!

My 2013 Edge is going in to get this fixed tomorrow morning. The service adviser had heard of this issue and didn't waste time investigating it too much... he ordered the part and made the next appointment quickly! Here's hoping all goes well!

Joesworld,

Please keep me posted.

I’ll be here if you need me!

Mine was doing it as well and the dealer said a transmission linkage cable was not seated properly or loose. They tightened it up and all was well since with the transmission i mean.

tamugrad2013,

Thanks for the update and I’m happy to learn that all is well.

Happy Friday and have an awesome weekend! :)

Tricia

I have been having this issue occur for months with my 2011 Explorer. I was waiting for the next oil change at 40K miles to bring it in for service, and now i missed warrantee by 4K miles. There seems to be enough issues on the subject that it should have been a low level recall. Not sure why it has not been elevated to that at this point. Are they waiting for the new shifter to come out first? The "Shift to Park" phrase has come up on my dash no less than 50 times, and the vehicle supposedly doesn't track these issues. How do we get in touch with the local regional folks? I have had more than my share of issues with my 2011 Explorer.

I have been having this issue occur for months with my 2011 Explorer. I was waiting for the next oil change at 40K miles to bring it in for service, and now i missed warrantee by 4K miles. There seems to be enough issues on the subject that it should have been a low level recall. Not sure why it has not been elevated to that at this point. Are they waiting for the new shifter to come out first? The "Shift to Park" phrase has come up on my dash no less than 50 times, and the vehicle supposedly doesn't track these issues. How do we get in touch with the local regional folks? I have had more than my share of issues with my 2011 Explorer.

No such thing as a "low level recall" and this certainly would never qualify for a recall of any kind. It's a bad part that goes bad on some vehicles usually within the warranty period. If you chose not to have it looked at during the warranty period then that's on you.

• 3 weeks later...

My 2013 AWD Limited just started doing this a week or two ago at just 23k miles. Chimes go off and a message tells me to Shift to Park when I'm already in Park. It's very annoying and it seems to be happening much more regularly now, and I'm concerned that some day this could put me into a bad "situation" in a parking lot in the middle of nowhere.

I can't figure out what's going on but it doesn't seem to be anything I've been doing differently. Might be my imagination but as a few others noted above, but I think I cleared the "Shift To Park" message once or twice by clicking the shift button, but it doesn't seem to be a consistent fix.

I'll bring it in on my next oil change and have them check it out. I'm expecting the usual "never heard of this before" like I got when I complained about the metal filings rusting in my door seam flanges. At least now thanks to this forum I have a staring point to "share" with them when I ask about the Shift to Park thing.

So I just purchased a used 2013 Edge Sport less than a month ago. Had a very reputable mechanic come out and take a look at the car before I purchased it. Of course the problem did not appear when he was there, but it's appearing now. Love the car and it only has 24k miles so far, so going into the dealership to have them take a look at this problem while it's still under warranty. Thanks to this forum I feel relieved to know there is an answer out there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update my recent post above. I was getting the "Shift to Park" error message even though the tranny was definitely in Park. It was happening with greater frequency and I learned that I could eventually clear the message if I really jammed the shifter toward the dash as far as it would go. That's not cool. Today I had to bring the Edge in for a routine oil change so I had them take a look at the shifter problem. Fortunately I got the error when I parked in their lot so I left it like that. It was 9:30AM and the Service Advisor told me something must be "in the air" today because I was already the third Edge/MKX this morning with the problem. It's been bitter cold out so maybe that brings out the worst in this issue, who knows. After the tech looked at it, the SA told me he needed to order a new shifter unit. He said that's the norm, that he's seen this same issue quite a number of times over the past couple of years and only once has he been able to simply adjust the linkage. If I understood him correctly, there are two different issues that require two different fixes (the less common issue is fixed via the linkage and the one that most people seem to experience requires a replacement). I'm actually kind of glad that I get the full replacement, rather than wondering if the linkage will slip or if the other type of problem will eventually occur. Fortunately, this is covered under warranty. It's about a 2-3 hour job. Part is on order and I bring it back next week.

• Like 1

Just an update about my "Shift to Park" problem with my 2013 AWD Limited. Today my dealer replaced my gearshift lever assembly. 25k miles and about 2 1/2 years on the road and it was fully covered under warranty, no hassles at all from the Service Dept. Part Number was CT4Z*7210*KC, I assume this is the modified lever that was due to be released this past September, but I don't know if that can be determined from this P/N. All seems ok so far, will post back if any more issues arise.

• Like 1

Wow, WWW, surprised you remembered! Yes, I did the full treatment this past fall to get some good protection before this winter. Not to get too far off topic, but I used Iron-X, clay, Duragloss 105, 501, & 601, then finished off with Collinite 845. Just like what I outlined over on the detailing section of this forum when the Edge was factory-new. Came out great once again, took me almost 2 days with 2 washes, masking the trim, polishing the glass, etc. My 2+ year old Edge looks better than the day I took delivery. Don't want to stray too much off the gearshift topic here, so if anyone has any questions check out the detailing discussions here on this forum.

As for today's gearshift replacement, I'm just happy that my Edge isn't yelling at me to "Shift to Park, you stupid idiot!" and I'm not yelling back "I already did, you dumb ^%#!" My wife didn't like it when I talked to the car like that........

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I have a 2011 Edge LTD FWD w\ 55000 miles ALSO with this issue.

Is this strictly an under warranty fix only?

I also have another issue w\ it that's driving me nuts. If you stay in park with the motor running for too long, the Collision Warning and Traction Control both throw fault errors on the left screen and become disabled. I'm surprised that's not some sort of recall in itself, since it disables the Traction Control.

The sad part is I'm a pretty loyal Ford fan (LOVE my 07 Fusion), but this vehicle, as much as I loved it in the beginning, is really wearing Ford's welcome in my driveway.

So I have a 2011 Edge LTD FWD w\ 55000 miles ALSO with this issue.

Is this strictly an under warranty fix only?

I also have another issue w\ it that's driving me nuts. If you stay in park with the motor running for too long, the Collision Warning and Traction Control both throw fault errors on the left screen and become disabled. I'm surprised that's not some sort of recall in itself, since it disables the Traction Control.

The sad part is I'm a pretty loyal Ford fan (LOVE my 07 Fusion), but this vehicle, as much as I loved it in the beginning, is really wearing Ford's welcome in my driveway.

Welcome to the community, Mooney6959! :)

Thanks for reaching out to me, I replied, and please check your inbox.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Tricia

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the community, Mooney6959! :)

Thanks for reaching out to me, I replied, and please check your inbox.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Tricia

I sent a PM a few weeks ago about the same issue...My 2011 Ford Edge is out of warranty (46k) and just started having the shift to park issue this January. Right around the same time my drivers door is now saying it isn't closed when it is...I don't really want to go to the dealership, pay them $100, and have them be unable to "recreate the issue" since it only happens a few times a week to me randomly.

Edited by Ungo

I sent a PM a few weeks ago about the same issue...My 2011 Ford Edge is out of warranty (46k) and just started having the shift to park issue this January. Right around the same time my drivers door is now saying it isn't closed when it is...I don't really want to go to the dealership, pay them $100, and have them be unable to "recreate the issue" since it only happens a few times a week to me randomly.

The fixes for both issues are well known and since you're out of warranty just ask them to replace the shifter assembly and the door latch mechanism with the sensors in them.