2013 edge A/c smell.

Butrfli463

On a new car, you will have some of the plasticizer used on the dashboard, panels, etc. give off VOCs from the heat for awhile (some a lot less pleasant than the "new car smell").

If it is from the AC itself, could just be the initial refrigerant giving off a strong odor and should dissipate over time (SHOULD). Have you tried an active charcoal filter to clear out some of the odor?

Cant go wrong with this one (I use it... don't know if my opinion matters :)): http://www.amazon.com/ATP-FA-14-Premium-Ventilation-Filter/dp/B004A6NBO2

• 2 months later...

So I just got my car and this horrible smell ( like a chemical smell) I have to turn of my ac and roll down my windows to get the smell out. Anyone else have this problem?

YES!

(By the way, I'm new. Hi everyone! :shades: )

I found this forum looking for answers about this problem. The a/c intermittently blows out a really unpleasant smell - like a thick, oily, sickly-sweet smell. I took it into the dealer and they told me "they all smell that way".

I thought it was an anti-freeze leak, but they said it wasn't.

The other problem I have with the climate system is the air recirculator. IT WON'T STAY ON. It drives me crazy! And I have to have it on all the time because if I don't, the cabin instantly fills up with exhaust fumes from my car. Yet another problem the dealer (Galpin Ford) told me was "normal".

I have a 2013 SEL EcoBoost with less than 4,000 miles. For the money I paid, I'm not thrilled with the numerous annoying/buggy issues I've had with the car.

divaluxe: While I don't find the same Recirculated Air description in your 2013 Edge Owners Guide, my 2012 MKX Owners Guide states...

"Recirculated air engages automatically when MAX A/C is selected or can be engaged manually in any airflow mode except (defrost). Recirculated air may turn off automatically in all airflow modes except MAX A/C to reduce fog potential."

Your description -- "the cabin instantly fills up with exhaust fumes" -- is cause for concern if it's your Edge's exhaust, unless you're describing the effects of surrounding vehicles while driving in LA's stop-and-go traffic.

I've never sensed my own exhaust fumes in the cabin of my MKX while driving, or even after leaving my MKX's engine running in the driveway for 45 minutes while installing Sync software updates.

Perhaps like you, I use the Recirculated Air button to avoid cabin odor when following a diesel truck or as I approach someone burning fallen leaves in their yard.

And also like your Edge, consistent with the description in the quoted Owners Guide, my Recirculated Air effect automatically reverts to outside air after some passage of time.

Running MAX A/C full time should allow avoidance of all odors, but it'll cost you by reducing your fuel economy.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz

And also like your Edge, consistent with the description in the quoted Owners Guide, my Recirculated Air effect automatically reverts to outside air after some passage of time.

Thanks, Haz - I'll keep that in mind! As for the a/c smell, I'm hoping that time will take care of that. Cheers!

• 1 month later...

YES!

(By the way, I'm new. Hi everyone! :shades: )

I found this forum looking for answers about this problem. The a/c intermittently blows out a really unpleasant smell - like a thick, oily, sickly-sweet smell. I took it into the dealer and they told me "they all smell that way".

I thought it was an anti-freeze leak, but they said it wasn't.

The other problem I have with the climate system is the air recirculator. IT WON'T STAY ON. It drives me crazy! And I have to have it on all the time because if I don't, the cabin instantly fills up with exhaust fumes from my car. Yet another problem the dealer (Galpin Ford) told me was "normal".

I have a 2013 SEL EcoBoost with less than 4,000 miles. For the money I paid, I'm not thrilled with the numerous annoying/buggy issues I've had with the car.

Check your lift gate to be sure it's flush with the body of the car. Mine is not and I get exhaust smell. They say the gate is "cupped" and it gets worse every time we open/close it. This is the least of my worries at this point. I have a engine tick/knock that I'm getting every excuse under the sun about and we've only got 5500 miles. I started complaining by 3000 miles.

Have had this mildewy, mold smell every 6 months or so (have had my Edge 2 years now). Once I get the air filter replaced the smell goes away. The last time the dealer changed it he showed me the filter and it was pretty dirty. The filter is in an awkward place so it's difficult to change yourself even though I did do it in the fall. I also had an air conditioner leak a year ago and it soaked the entire front carpets! (not impressed).

I also have this problem. Here's my experience: I bought a new 2013 Edge Limited w/EcoBoost in late November. It presently has ~1200 miles and is producing a "chemical" smell from the A/C. This occurs nearly every time I drive it, but only after the A/C has been on for about 5-8 minutes. The smell is very strong and is obvious when it starts. Then after about 1 minute, the smell stops and then takes a few minutes to be purged from the car's interior. On longer trips (over 30 minutes), the smell sometimes occurs again, but only lasts for a minute or two - then it's done. Have you found a solution to this issue or does anyone else know what this could be? Thank you so much.

UPDATE (July 18, 2013): Vehicle now has ~4,600 miles and the smell is occurring more frequently. On a recent trip to work, the smell showed up every 2 minutes (almost exactly) all the way to work which is about 18 minutes from home. The peculiar smell and the regularity with which it occurs really has me bewildered.

I took the car in to the dealer and, naturally, it wouldn't produce the smell on the test drive. On the subsequent customer survey, I rated the dealer low in the "Care" department because they wouldn't even entertain trying to figure it out since the smell wouldn't present itself during the drive. The follow-up letter I received from Ford's Customer Relationship Center offered a phone number, which I called and after 3 weeks, nothing has been gained. They're really nice but that's about it so far.

The smell is making my wife and me sick, REALLY, and I'm just about ready to park the car at the dealer and walk away. Is the AC system in a car THAT mysterious that no one knows how it works? Again, the smell is not mold. Something is being injected into the HVAC system in measured amounts and at random intervals and it's getting worse.

Edited by Art

Our edge (about to hit 25k) started doing this a couple of months ago. A musky smell upon start up then goes away after a couple of seconds after the A/C turns on. Ive tried turning off the A/C and running the fan only a minute/two before reaching a destination and turning the system completely off everytime we exit the car. Ive sprayed A/C cleaning solution in the blower, cowl & vents. This helps for a day or two then back at it. Ive replaced the cabin air filter and air filter. Nothing seems to work. Havent taken it to the dealer due to lack of time. It is an annoyance.

Hey folks, Been reading the series of responses below and am not happy with the trending of the discussion.

Have had my base 2013 Edge since Sept and the musty, damp rag smell settled in around the 3000 mile mark. After the A/C has run for hours there is little to no condensation drip under the car, so you gotta wonder where's all the damn water ultimately pooling.

Have only talked to the service guy at my dealership and, of course, it (and I) have been brushed off as being insignificant. Traded in a much beloved 2004 Explorer XLT and am having serious buyers remorse.

The 2013 Escape has been replete with numerous recall issues - am actually hoping this Edge 'issue' becomes wide spread enough that a recall is warranted.

Thanks again, folks.

G.

• 7 months later...

So I just got my car and this horrible smell ( like a chemical smell) I have to turn of my ac and roll down my windows to get the smell out. Anyone else have this problem?

I have the same problem...we have the same model. I took in for service and I told them it smelt like a wet dog....they jumped to conclussion and thought I carry dogs in my car (which I don't)! 3 minures down the road smell is back...have another appointment on Monday.....LOVE everything else about my EDGE

Edited by trojan1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife's 2013 Edge Limited ecoboost is having the exact same problem! When you intially start the vehicle the musty/moldy smell is most prevelant, then, the smell will occur randomly as you are driving the vehicle. Another issue we are expierencing is momentary heating while the A/C is on, all of the sudden the A/C will start blowing warm air without the system being under load. By not under load I mean not excellerating or going up a hill. At this point really regreting trading in the Audi Q7.

Has anyone seen a service bulletin on this?