Canada or States

It's pretty hard to make a US deal work these days. The incentives in Canada are generally much higher and you're going to be stuck paying the Canadian sales tax either way. I did some calculations on a Flex and Focus a couple months ago and after everything it pretty much came out the same buying in either Canada or US. At most I think you could save around $1000, which may not be worth the hassle. The only way to really make it work would be if you could find a way to avoid paying the state sales tax.

Edited by Waldo

Hi,

I bought my MKX down south, and I saved I believe around 6-7k compared to a similar one here with aprox. the same mileage and options.

In the US, the selections is much greater. Mine was fully loaded, low mileage and mint paint condition.

I think its worth it for used cars, but there's lots of paperwork and some headaches.

• 1 month later...

You cannot buy a new car in the states and bring into Canada or vis-versa. Its called NAFTA (North America Free trade Agreement). The car has to be at least 6 months old and have 6,000miles on the odometer.

Yeah, Huh? The only thing that involves NAFTA when importing a car is in the calculation of duties. I bought my wife's Mariner in the US and imported it to Ontario long before it was 6 months and 6000 miles.

• 1 month later...

I looked high and low in Canada and the US for my Edge (searching autotrader.ca and cars.com) and I was unable to find a better deal in the US than I could at home. I ended up buying in Alberta, where I was able to get an excellent price on a 2013 SEL FWD with 15,000 kms.

In my experience, the higher upmarket you go, the more savings there are to be realized by going to the US. It would probably be worth it for a MKX, but apparently not for an Edge.