MPG Question

smk5867

I am the proud owner of a 2013 Ford Edge Sport FWD. I purchased the car a month ago and have put close to 1000 miles on her thus far. My driving is 90% stop/go with some light highway. I am not a pedal masher by any means. I know that one cannot expect mileage to be on par with what is on the window sticker, but my mileage is so far lower than what I had expected that I am concerned. I'm averaging 13.3 miles per gallon as per the onboard computer. Knowing that the computer could be inaccurate, I've been watching actual fuel consumption via mileage per tank, and thus far I haven't been able to go more than 240 miles on a tank before being genuinely scared of running on empty. My question is whether or not there is something wrong, or if this is normal, or if after my first service I can expect some kind of an improvement.

Much Thanks!

Wow, that is kind of low. When I first got my MKX, around town was getting 14.8 - 16.1. Now that it has 9,000 miles in it, I am getting 16.5 - mid 17's, and if I baby it, I can make 18. Highway is around high 24's, even managed 26 taking it easy, using cruise at times. Give it "break in" time, things will improve.

Edited by JOEHIO

Seems a bit low. I have 2013 Edge Limited AWD with the 3.5 liter engine with almost 1000 miles on it now. I was really disappointed the first week or so, as the onboard fuel economy was reading 14.3 miles average. I haven't reset the fuel economy computer, so I can get a better sense of how things are improving over th longer run. It steadily shot up and for the past 2 weeks and now it's hanging in at 19.5 MPG (U.S.). I'm happy with that for an AWD vehicle around town. I doubt the computer is highly accurate and I haven't calculated MPG the old fashioned way yet. Most of my driving is around town -- I'd guess 800 miles stop & go and 200 miles highway on the 1000 I've done so far. I quickly found out that in the early going I was killing my gas mileage by idling in the driveway while I checked out all the cool new toys on the Edge. Also, try driving with an eye on the real-time economy feature on. It's like the old days of driving with a vacuum gauge -- just backing off the gas as the terrain allows will save a lot without sacrificing speed and without ticking off other drivers (hate slowpokes!). Also as many others here have pointed out, keeping it under 65 MPH helps a lot too, but that's kinda hard because the ride is so smooth and quiet that I don't realize how fast I'm goiing!

Good luck!

Edited by edge1217

Does seem low, but all of our commutes are different so its tough to compare. My AWD Sport is regularly getting 20+ with a 50/50 mix, and 25 on straight highway. BUT....and everyone's got a but... I didn't see this kind of mileage until after probably 15K miles. Ive been using synthetic oil since my first oil change after break in, and a K&N drop in filter. Since my 22" tires leak air all the time, I'm checking tire pressure every other day, so they're always optimum. No extra junk in the car, and when I do hit a stretch of highway, I'm using cruise control.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When you fuel up, reset Trip 2, note how many gallons the fillup was and monitor that fuel efficiency of Trip 2.

I also have a 2013 Sport FWD and millage was been "less than expected".

I'm at 17.6 AVG over my first 5500 miles with a best tank of just over 20, but that 100% highway (80-85 MPH) on a long trip. Most tanks have been 50/50 highway/city mix and are usually 17-18 MPG without any "spirited driving".

I sure hope it gets better... for both of us. LOL

Jeeeze, if everyone is really interested in maximum mpg's, just slow down a little bit ! Running 75-80 miles per hour and 90 for passing is a bit much in my opinion, but that's me. If I keep it at 65 or less, my mileage is 25+. One time I did run 70-75, and noticed a BIG drop in my mileage.

Yeah, you might get somewhere a little faster at 80 verses 65, but safety is more important im my books. Back a few months ago, some nut was speeding WAY beyond the posted limit, ran a redlight and hit my cousin's car. She also had her daughter with her, and today, she and her daughter are both dead ! So, does speeding really pay off ?

Better watch out, there is at least 1 cop on the forum.

Edited by JOEHIO

Agreed, should not be speeding where avoidable.

But having a cop on the forum should not be a deterrent. The deterrent should be internal, it's called "conscience".

Besides, as you said, people should not be speeding for the simple reason that they don't usually think about the ramifications, or are insufficiently experienced in minimizing negative outcomes. Today, you can get into a car and speed and not even realize it. I often wonder if we shouldn't have more driver's ed classes, whether for a firsttime licensee or renewal licensee. Maybe add a short course on the ill effects of irresponsible driving!

If 87 is recommended by Ford, no reason to run premium. In the olden days, premium fuel used to be marketed with detergent additivies, while lower grades were simply gasoline. Nowadays, in MOST locations, all grades of gasoline have these additives.

If you wanted to retard timing for some reason, premium fuel is one way to do it, but with today's electronics, I don't think you'd gain as much advantage as in times past.

Regular maintenance and keeping an eye on the fluids would serve you better in the long run, IMHO. Could look into an occassional fuel injection/induction system cleaning once in a while ...

I think you meant "advance timing", not retard it, with premium. But that only works if the engine is programmed to advance the timing to take advantage of it. The EB engines are but not all of the non EB engines are setup this way. If the owner's manual says premium can be used then it is, otherwise it probably isn't and using premium won't help.

speed is a huge factor in MPG, 55-60mph is the sweet spot for the Edge. Also everyone in cold states will be seeing lower MPG's in the winter with the winter fuel mixes and longer times for the engine to heat up.

An example of how a cold engine uses more fuel would be this:

Usually when you coast in your vehicle the injectors are shut off and it is essentially a giant air pump, well when the engine is still cold it keeps injecting fuel even while coasting. I monitored this on my previous car and assume all cars are like this.

I have a 2012 Sport with about 19,000 miles on it and have done about 50/50 city/highway driving since I purchased the car in November 2011. I've rarely reached the fuel economy ratings that were on the sticker for either city or highway driving. I've been tracking my mileage using Fuelly.com and did an analysis for my car. After excluding trips with a significant amount of high speeds (above 75 mph) or bad weather that would obviously impact the mileage, I'm running 9% below ratings in the city and 14% below ratings on the highway. While I'm quicker than average off the line, I'm by no means a speed demon. I'm in Houston, so the elevation is low and the terrain is flat. Almost all of my highway driving has been in the same conditions in South or East Texas.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2013 3.7L FWD Sport. I am getting 19.4MPG @ 90/10 city/hwy with 11k on the ODO. I am diving pedal consciously, as I am still trying to get a bead on the dimensions of this thing. It feels like I am much closer to things than I really am, so gauging parking close to a curb on either side( to leave plenty of room for pricks that door ding you) has been a trifle un-nerving. Also figuring out the dive/lunge and launch this things suffers when taking turns due to the CVT trans.