How to Plasti-dip your rims (video tutorial)

Cellbine

There has been a lot of interest with plasti-dip recently, so I decided to shoot an instructional video when I dip'd my wheels this weekend. I tried to put as much information in the video to help members who are just starting out. If I left something out of the video that you think should be in it, please leave a comment in the thread. I hope this helps people who have question or who just need to see the process done before they tackle it themselves.

I had this saturday free with no obligations, so I tried to do it right. I applied 5 coats to each wheel. the first and second coats I waited about 30 mins between each. After the third and fourth coat, I waited about an hour between coats. After the fifth coat, I waited 2 hours before removing the trash bag from the rotor. After that, the car sat in the garage for the night before taking it on the road.

I ended up using about 2 cans to put 5 coats on 4 wheels. One thing to note about this stuff is that it has a strong smell. So make sure you are working in a well ventilated area. Anyways, thats enough talk. Hope you enjoy the video.

• Like 2

Ok, I have to ask. What about if you need to remove the valve stem cap or lug nuts?

I'd also really like to do this, but I scuffed a rim. Any suggestions for covering up chrome clad damage (I.e. maybe apply a thicker coating over the rashed area to fill it in)?

I also had a scuff and I just applied a thicker coat over top of it and it helped hide it more. The valve stem won't be a problem. If you remove the lug nuts, the plasti-dip may be scratched or come off

• 2 months later...
Awesome video! I always wantd to know how this was done. Thanks Cellbine!

Your Welcome! I'm glad this was able to help you. It always helps me to get eyes on a project before tackling it myself, even if it is simple. The Eagle Scout inside me calls it being prepared lol

Good idea on posting a how to video on this. I was skeptical before I did it but after realized it was easy. I'm sure many ppl will find it helpful. Good job and rims look good

Yeah, it was pretty easy to do. Just takes time and preparation. Thanks for compliment!

• 3 weeks later...

I thought so, I like the way it turned out but it just seemed like it would have been a hell of a lot easier to just jack stand an axle and do 2 wheels at a time. Just my opinion, but you did a great and very thorough write up. I just wouldn't feel like masking off the rotor etc... and that's just cause I'm a lazy f*** LOL.

Edited by houston_four

I thought so, I like the way it turned out but it just seemed like it would have been a hell of a lot easier to just jack stand an axle and do 2 wheels at a time. Just my opinion, but you did a great and very thorough write up. I just wouldn't feel like masking off the rotor etc... and that's just cause I'm a lazy f*** LOL.

so you're lazy and think its easier to jack up the car and remove the wheels rather than put a bag over the rotors like cellbine did?

Keep in mind that if your distance and technique is right, you wont get drips. I didn't have any. :shades:

I know but I'm terrible with patience and painting LOL. Those two things and me don't mix. But if you are patient then yes, this technique is great and the OP did a great job doing an awesome instructional video. I'm not downplaying it or trying to make it a pissing match, just saying.

• 2 months later...