Sprint Booster

2013SPORT

Hello. New to this forum. I have a red 2013 Ford Edge Sport FWD 3.7L

Does anyone have one of these Sprint Boosters? http://www.sprintbooster.com/

It is supposed to eliminate electronic throttle delay...

I ordered one, and was wondering how it worked for you and what your impressions were on it.

It was $289 made by http://www.jrponline.com/cs/

"Electronic throttle delay" is really a myth. There is no delay because of the electronic throttle, the delay is there because it's required to meet emissions regulations. In fact it's one of the main reasons that OEMs have switched to the electronic throttles - so that they can introduce and control the delays for emissions control.

So all this product can do is modify the pedal demand tables. All it can do is simulate you pushing the pedal further or faster. I haven't tried it, but for $289 you could probably buy yourself a nice set of shoes and get the same results.

I would beg to differ with you Waldo. At least on one of your points. That "Electronic throttle delay" is really a myth" - It is probably true that there are programs built into the throttle mapping that work in tandem with the ECU towards a emissions regulations agenda. However, that does not explain cases where there are no emissions regulations or the TBW or DBW systems are developmental sandboxes whos goals are to work out the lag and make a DBW or TBW system seem as "real" as possible.

With that being said, there are all kinds of oddities that are unique to DBW system that would have nothing to do with emissions considerations or fuel economy. But are simply developmental issues to be over come.

I had never heard of a sprint booster before and my first reaction was one of "snake oil". I wanted to investigate the "how it does it" and "what is it doing to claim that". Both of which appear to be guarded design secrets. Electrical signals are nearly instant. The systems that generate them are not. For this to simply be a "sooner" "faster" device, it would have to predict when I'm going to depress the pedal and do it before I do ! It can't know this until the pedal tells it so. (me depressing it) so there either has to be something else going on, OR its snake oil. Either way, delay or lag is not a myth.

I would beg to differ with you Waldo. At least on one of your points. That "Electronic throttle delay" is really a myth" - It is probably true that there are programs built into the throttle mapping that work in tandem with the ECU towards a emissions regulations agenda. However, that does not explain cases where there are no emissions regulations or the TBW or DBW systems are developmental sandboxes whos goals are to work out the lag and make a DBW or TBW system seem as "real" as possible.

With that being said, there are all kinds of oddities that are unique to DBW system that would have nothing to do with emissions considerations or fuel economy. But are simply developmental issues to be over come.

I had never heard of a sprint booster before and my first reaction was one of "snake oil". I wanted to investigate the "how it does it" and "what is it doing to claim that". Both of which appear to be guarded design secrets. Electrical signals are nearly instant. The systems that generate them are not. For this to simply be a "sooner" "faster" device, it would have to predict when I'm going to depress the pedal and do it before I do ! It can't know this until the pedal tells it so. (me depressing it) so there either has to be something else going on, OR its snake oil. Either way, delay or lag is not a myth.

What Waldo is saying is there is no inherent delay in the throttle electronics - the delay is in the PCM so changing the throttle itself won't help much because it won't override the PCM.

akirby, waldo ... I would agree with that and in fact if you look at my post as a bigger picture, I'm also calling into question the "how" it works myself.

My only contention was to the ""Electronic throttle delay" is really a myth" which unless I'm taking his meaning incorrectly, is a pretty broad statement dismissing any throttle delay in DBW systems.

No need to hash further ... I think we're all on the same page.

• 2 years later...

I purchased a Sprint Booster for a 2015 Impreza (not wrx). This car is really underpowered and there was a very annyoing and noticible delay in the throttle response and it really did make a big difference. I traded in the Impreza for a 2013 Edge. I don't really notice a delay in throttle response on the Edge. I'll probably get a programmer, but I don't think I'll be getting the sprint booster for the Edge.