Dual Climate Control Repair

2012 Ford Edge. I replaced the bda due to only hot air on the driver side. The new part didn't work so I removed it, plugged it back in to see if the arm moved at all by raising and lowering the temperature. Nothing happened. Next I plugged the old part in and it moved back and forth with the temperature change. I've heard of the need to calibrate the part but searching through the forum nothing is mentioned about a 2012 edge method of recalibrating a bda or if it is needed. This is the second new part I have tried so I am thinking I need to do something to get it to work. Both new parts can't be bad. In the mean time I have adjusted the blender door manually so I am getting by for now.

• Like 1

No progress with Forscan in regard to getting the bda to work so I tried talking to the Ford service guys. The term used there was the part needed to be 'flashed' to get it to work. This is estimated to cost about $100.00. They said it is done by connecting to a site on the internet. That is just to make the part work not install it. Not giving up yet to fix this myself.

Edited by Bob Mcghee
  • Like 2

I had the same issue in that I replaced the actuator on the driver's side of my 2012 Edge SEL. Afterwards nothing changed - the linkage didn't move. I cycled a few times through the hottest setting and max a/c - worked as expected on the passenger side but no movement on the driver's. Eventually gave the linkage arm a gentle push with my finger as the system was calling for max a/c and it moved a little. After that everything worked correctly - just needed a little persuasion first time. I remember someone asking for the part number and a supplier in Toronto. I didn't have much luck with that and had to get the part from a Ford dealer. Part 7T4Z-19E616-B. The Ford parts guy asked if the part was with or without humidity sensor. I had no clue so he had to use my VIN. Looking at the old part inside I'd say it was without sensor. Price in Toronto? $97

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same issue as others that once I replaced the driver's side actuator, it still didn't move. Thanks to pdpnjt's post, I got it working with persuasion the first time. The procedure for anyone finding this would be to only connect the electrical connector and set the temp to one extreme or the other. Gently push the white lever in the direction it should go. If you set it to the coldest, the lever should move towards the electrical connection (at least for the driver's side, I am not sure about the passenger's side). After that, I set it to opposite temp extremes to get it going back and forth. Then I installed it and it seems to be working great.

I have a 2013 SEL with dual zone hvac.

... I found by reaching under the drivers side near the center console I could unplug the Blend door actuator and plug it back in and this remedied the situation. Unfortunately, the problem reappeared a few days later so I did the same action unplug and plug back in and fixed it. Has been working now for about a week.

Same issue with the dual climate system and I have a 2012 Ford Edge SEL and want to see if I can simply plug and unplug the actuator to get it to work because I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. Do you happen to have a pic or a schematic of what that plug looks like underneath the driver seat? There are multiple plugs underneath my driver seat, and I want to make sure I unplug the right one so I don't mess up anything.

Thank you very much!

Zach

I have the same problem with Edge SEL 2012. No heat on drivers side, works fine on passenger side. Did you get a picture of the plug?? I would like to try unplugging before I take it to the dealer

• 4 weeks later...

Good Morning and Happy New Year, :love_shower:

This exact situation happened to us just last week. The drivers side was blowing cold, while the passenger side was toasty. After reading through all the posts regarding the air blend issues, I decided to try the unplug and plug back method. It didn't work for me. So I decided to order 1 through Amazon (Dorman 604239 Air Door Actuator). While the replacement was pretty straight forward, my big fat hands had some difficulty getting the the screws (3) out and the new ones in. That being said it works like a charm and we have control of the temperature on both sides again.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I changed vehicle to factory settings while running and it worked for me. Actuator is pretty cheap anyways. Driver problems should be under driver side by center counsel. Look for green plug and you cant miss it. Mine was blowing hot only on drivers side and cool on passenger side.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I found this thread, and I have a question. Are there 2 BDA's (one driver side, one Passenger side)? I have warmer air on the driver's side, and cooler (but not cold) on the passenger side. Its "DUAL" climate control.

Thanks for the comment(s)

2010 Ford Edge Limited

Also, after looking at the BDA, I noticed both of them functioning properly, meaning, I actually watched them move when I adjusted the temperature of the AC. ------- I wonder then, just maybe low on refrigerant?

Edited by jonasbrack

So, I found this thread, and I have a question. Are there 2 BDA's (one driver side, one Passenger side)? I have warmer air on the driver's side, and cooler (but not cold) on the passenger side. Its "DUAL" climate control.

Thanks for the comment(s)

2010 Ford Edge Limited

Also, after looking at the BDA, I noticed both of them functioning properly, meaning, I actually watched them move when I adjusted the temperature of the AC. ------- I wonder then, just maybe low on refrigerant?

If both sides change temperature, i.e. goes from warm to cool (or the other way) when changing the temperature setting, then they are probably fine. Possible issues:

1. A little low in A/C charge, happened to my MKX and caused the driver side to be noticeably warmer. Most probably this is your issue.
  2. HVAC module needs a reset.
  3. The DBA, though working, is not functioning to spec.
  • Like 1

i was 1lb low on Freon, they put 1lb in, and ac blows cold. Mind you, they put dye in with the refrigerant, and wants me to come back in 2 days. I suspect since the vehicle is 7 years old, that's normal for it to be that low.

Just FYI they no longer use Freon. It's R-134a.

I just replaced the passenger side BDA in my wife's 2013 edge and the new one still does not work. i can rotate the linkage when the BDA is disconnected and it changes from hot to cold but the BDA wont move electrically I tried giving it a push to get it moving like some people said worked for them but no such luck. anyone have any ideas on what i should now? I very frustrated that i spent $72 on the new BDA and did the pain in the @$$ install of it only to have it still not working!

• Like 1