Dual Climate Control Repair

This may be a little off topic, but my 14 Edge Limited (with dual zone automatic climate control) doesn't seem to know if it should blow cold air or hot air. There is a temp reading on the main console display and I mounted thermometer inside the cabin to try to figure out what the system is doing, but it still doesn't make sense. For example cabin air temp is 80, the main display on the console is showing 76 and the demand is 74. It was blowing hot air for 5 blocks before I lowered the demand to 73, and then it started blowing cold air.

Does anyone know how the system determines what the actual temperature is relative to the demand temperature? How does the system determine whether to blow warm or cold? I asked my dealer, but they don't know. Help!

JRFord

This may be a little off topic, but my 14 Edge Limited (with dual zone automatic climate control) doesn't seem to know if it should blow cold air or hot air. There is a temp reading on the main console display and I mounted thermometer inside the cabin to try to figure out what the system is doing, but it still doesn't make sense. For example cabin air temp is 80, the main display on the console is showing 76 and the demand is 74. It was blowing hot air for 5 blocks before I lowered the demand to 73, and then it started blowing cold air.

Does anyone know how the system determines what the actual temperature is relative to the demand temperature? How does the system determine whether to blow warm or cold? I asked my dealer, but they don't know. Help!

JRFord

The display on the main screen is for outside temperature. Since the outside temp was 76 & your set temp was 74, I am more inclined to thing that the cabin's actual temp was near or a little below 74 & hence the hot air at the beginning. The system determines the cabin temp from a sensor behind the dash at the driver's right knee location, the area that has a small cent opening.

• Like 1

At some point they started using multiple sensors not just one for each side - I thought that was the 2015 Edge and later on CD4 but not positive.

Make sure the system is in full auto mode by hitting the auto button, then hold the auto button for a few seconds to make sure it's in single mode (one temp for the whole cabin) and not dual mode (different temps for driver and passenger) just to get everything to a known state. Then play around with the temp setting. Outside temp does play a factor as well as direct sunlight (there is a sensor on the dash) but generally speaking if the ambient air is 76-80 and you set it to 74 you should get cold air.

If not it could be a bad sensor or a bad hvac controller.

At some point they started using multiple sensors not just one for each side - I thought that was the 2015 Edge and later on CD4 but not positive.

Make sure the system is in full auto mode by hitting the auto button, then hold the auto button for a few seconds to make sure it's in single mode (one temp for the whole cabin) and not dual mode (different temps for driver and passenger) just to get everything to a known state. Then play around with the temp setting. Outside temp does play a factor as well as direct sunlight (there is a sensor on the dash) but generally speaking if the ambient air is 76-80 and you set it to 74 you should get cold air.

If not it could be a bad sensor or a bad hvac controller.

Thank you for the insight. I will "suggest" to the service manager that the cabin temp sensor and/or hvac controller be checked for mischief.

• 1 month later...

Looks like this will be my project for the weekend...

Just to be sure, if the warm air is coming out of the passenger side, is that the Actuator side that I should go looking for?

The side that is not responding to temperature control is the one you need the actuator for. But as mentioned before, first try to disconnect & reconnect the actuator, some have reported that it fixed the issue for them, at least for while. This should also re-confirm to you that it is actually the actuator.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a 2013 Ford Edge 3.5 SEL AWD....the passenger side wont respond to the dual climate settings. Just blows cold no matter what I do now. So I am assuming the BDA is bad on that side.

Where is the passenger side one located? Any pics or how to write ups? Also I see like 3 diff pns for them on the Ford site....

Yup. Same exact issue with my 13 Edge SEL. Driver side blowing warm air passenger side cold. They tell me the system is low a wee bit and placed dye into the system and told to come back for a black light show.

TSB on blend doors I'm told. They fixed it.

Had them replace the VCT pick ups gaskets on top of front valve cover while they are at it.

Seems a systemic failure for the Edges in regards to the AC dual zone.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow... $1400 for a $20 part and 10 min. Labor. Just when I thought the dealership service departments were getting more reasonable.I had this issue in my 2013 Ford edge Limited where the driver side was blowing hot air when the air conditioning was on. I found by reaching under the drivers side near the center console I could unplug the Blend door actuator and plug it back in and this remedied the situation. Unfortunately, the problem reappeared a few days later so I did the same action unplug and plug back in and fixed it. Has been working now for about a week. I have been having a hard time trying to find a part number for this actuator when I called the Ford dealer and ask for the part number they said they didn't get mad over the phone. So I still don't know what the driver side door actuator part number is for a 2013 Ford edge Limited.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, thanks so much for this very informative thread! The driver's side A/C on my 2013 Edge LTD (45k miles) suddenly started blowing super warm air today, but the passenger side was fine so I figured it was a problem with the blend door controls. I followed the instructions in this thread and disconnected the green electrical connector on the driver's side BDA, which was very easy to access. I waited about 1 minute before plugging it back in. Around 30-45 seconds (still disconnected), I thought I heard a faint noise like something was resetting, but I wasn't expecting that so the noise might have been something else. I plugged the green connector back in after about 1 minute, and started the car and A/C. Everything at least for now is back to normal, definitely cooled air coming out the driver's vents now even though the engine temp was still quite warm. Fingers crossed, but for now it looks like this simple reset did the trick. BTW, I did this with the engine and A/C off.

I will definitely post here again if the problem comes back.

This thread probably saved me a few hundred bucks and a lot of aggravation by avoiding a trip to my dealer.

Thanks!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2013 SEL/AWD, d/s blend door not responding, unplugged and re-plugged and it worked for a year. Quit again this year so I purchased a new blend door actuator, installed, it also is not working, linkage does move freely on car, so I unplugged working passenger side blend motor and plugged new one into it and let it hang no linkage, went from a/c to heat, still does not work.....have not tried to disconnect neg. batt terminal yet. or , have not given a push to arm on motor...was going to send this motor back but am going to try persuasion on the motor arm and the battery reboot. checked both 10 amp fuses for climate control from inside fuse box and both are good. before I give the dealer $100's of $$$, I will run a cable to that D/S linkage to the dash or console and operate it manually!!

Edited by 2kool

Omar, thank you for your help....D/S actuator is still unresponsive . I was able to find under settings on my touch screen, a master reset option... I did this,..a few directions like remove nav. SD disk, disconnect any blue tooth, phones etc... which did reset all settings to factory. but did not make a difference...just had to re set a few things like miles to km and Fahrenheit from Celsius. considered removing actuator from P/S for trial run on D/S. but I think instead I am going to go purchase another locally while I ponder returning the actuator I received via post. if another new actuator fails to move, I would have to think the problem lies elsewhere within the sync system.....decided to order another new actuator. this time I went with a dormin J04022 from rock auto. returning the other which I hope is/was faulty.

Edited by 2kool

yes. I have sync with mytouch....only have touch controls. my display and controls look nothing like the attachment from your post. I still tried it anyway, but does not respond or go to diag. mode through power, def. or any other combo... owners manual shows there is a way to get to or take a vehicle health test where I believe it will print out vehicle health/history, have not gone there yet, but did find and do a master reset, (restored factory defaults)......... On the d/s, the linkage moves freely, the temp changes with the movement and on the screen, the temp display goes up and down and beeps with every touch just like the p/s.......just like last year, after a summer of running the a/c, when we finally asked it for heat, BDA did not respond on d/s.......did the re plug it in boot and it worked for last season, did not work this time around..... I watch the p/s DBA work as I raise and lower temp for that side so I thought since the motors appear to be the same except for linkage, I should be able to test my d/s BDA by just plugging it in and watching for movement as I vary the temp setting. but no go for either my old or the new one I had. I have a new motor coming this week...the DBA's wire and clip visually appear fine. thanks for helping and will report back.

Edited by 2kool

throwing the towel in on this , just cant figure it out. new BDA , nothing, swapped it to p/s with no movement there...almost like they are the wrong DBA'S , but I have triple checked... I did find out how to get into the diagnostic mode for mytouch. you have to (key on, eatc powered on) press eject and seek. going to sign up with syncmyride.com , see if I can get a health report.

Could possibly be the HVAC module in this case. BDA issues are far more common, but since you say the new BDAs have not fixed the issue ...

HVAC Module

The EATC system uses a remote HVAC module that is separate from the control interface. The Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM) provides the interface for the vehicle occupants to control the climate control system. When selections are made, the FCIM communicates the selections to the HVAC module through the Medium Speed Controller Area Network (MS-CAN), and the HVAC module adjusts the climate control system components to achieve the desired state. When the climate control system is operating in AUTO mode via command from the FCIM , the required climate control system settings are determined by the HVAC module. The HVAC module then adjusts the climate control system components to the desired state. The remote HVAC module is located under the driver side of the instrument panel.

Note: If you elect to replace the module, the configuration from the old module has to be loaded into the new one.

2014 Edge Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning _HVAC_ Module.pdf

• Like 1

Also check the 30-amp fuse #28 in the BJB, the underhood fuse box. That is exclusively for the HVAC module in dual zone systems. Hopefully it is shorting/blown, and the problem is simple as that.

The base part number is DT4Z-19980 I believe, with a suffix that indicates the combination of options (ambient lighting, heated seats)

https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/auto-parts/2013/ford/edge/sel-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/hvac-cat/controls-scat

wow, great info and thank you....again my car 2013 AWD SEL edge with myfordtouch ATC, heated seats. 88,000 miles, My attempt to get a health report through syncmyride.com failed as it appears this vehicle was originally sold in or to Canada. was of the belief that it was a lease return, I purchased it here in MN. from a dealership about two years ago. I suppose this is why, when I do a "master reset" the miles will switch to km and the temperature settings show in Celsius? easy to switch back on touch menu screen, Owners manual claims 30-amp fuse #28 is for heated seats. I removed it and checked it anyway, appears good....also removed and checked twice, the two interior fuses for climate control, both 10A, #37 & #46. both are like new. Almost acting like a software issue. Like the system fails to recognize the new BDA's?... I don't understand why I cannot at least plug a new BDA into the working P/S harness and get some type of movement as I go up and down the temp scale on touch screen? Tried both new BDA's motorcraft YH1876 and std motor products J04022. that HVAC module swap, I am afraid is over my head....if I had a scan tool (not sure of the cost) I might give it a go...great how to pdf file included. Dealer may get to figure this one out eventually.... remembering the not so old days when you just had to remove the chip (GM) from the old "brain" and install in the new.