upgrade the headlights to auto light

ponddogs

Wondering if anybody has upgraded their headlights from the on/off switch to auto light switch, was told by a ford mechanic all I have to do switch out the switch on the dash, after loking at another edge it maybe more than that, I see already that I would need a sunlight light sensor too, was wondering if ford use one wiring harness for all models, and hopfully it would be a plug in and go, and do they make a repair manual beside the ford shop service manual ($400 for a used set)

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I'm also in the process of have the auto headlights... My 2011 SE doesn't have the "A"(Auto) position on the headlamp switch... It's really a pain to always need to manually turn off the lights each time...

First part I ordered at my nearest Ford dealer was the Sunlight sensor that goes on top of the dash....

This Part Number: 13A018

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=vZY5xinuvlntMKIjHE1OMQ%3d%3d&id=226092864&m=2&search=true&year=2011&make=Ford&model=Edge

Next thing to buy but it's so expansive.. I'll just wait to find a good deal...

This Part Number: 11654(SW-6808)

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=8uXIexqIfO%2bXaigjKVjMhQ%3d%3d&id=224983785&m=2&search=true&year=2011&make=Ford&model=Edge

The thing I would really like to know is if all the physically identical 11654 switch that are on the F-150, Focus, Fiesta, Edge, Mkx, etc are interchangeable?

Can't w8 to get this upgrade done... Next thing to come in is the parking aid sensor...

• 2 months later...

DONE! I CONFIRM THAT THIS IS A PLUG N PLAY MOD!! I just went to a scrap yard today and bought a switch with the "A"(Auto) from another totally destroyed 2012 Edge... Plugged the switch in and VOILA! it does work instantly!

so for 50$ Canadian I don't have to THINK of turning the lights on and off each time I go on a ride...

PLUS the guy there gave me a package deal price of 100$ for that auto light switch + both of the SUNVISORS with COURTESY LIGHTS on them and HomeLink System + the AUTODIM rearview Mirror :)

I can now also confirm that the AUTODIM MIRROR part number BU5A-17E678-LA works plug and play IF you change the wiring harness that plugs in the pillar on the dash on the driver side. It is really simple. Just buy the whole wiring cable that plugs there and it runs up that pillar to power both sun visors, front dome light and the autodim mirror:)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

After 20 phone calls I had one guy in Ford parts dept (out of state) tell me that after those parts are installed the computer has to be flashed to turn on that option. I called a few area Ford dealers service dept and nobody will say if that all it needs. They all seem concerned that I put the parts in my self and they dont want to mess with it. A 10 year old could do it. They say they dont know if they can make it work. They say bring it in and if it need more work done they will call. Flash computer starts at $99.95. Has anybody had their computer flashed to do this? Thanks

• 3 years later...

any luck you made it work for 2012 SE?

After 20 phone calls I had one guy in Ford parts dept (out of state) tell me that after those parts are installed the computer has to be flashed to turn on that option. I called a few area Ford dealers service dept and nobody will say if that all it needs. They all seem concerned that I put the parts in my self and they dont want to mess with it. A 10 year old could do it. They say they dont know if they can make it work. They say bring it in and if it need more work done they will call. Flash computer starts at $99.95. Has anybody had their computer flashed to do this? Thanks