Front, driver's side bumper keeps popping out

HoustonEdge

Hi All,

I have a 2012 Ford Edge Sport and am having a problem with the front, driver's side bumper popping out about 1/4". I've taken it to several dealers throughout Texas and they've replaced the underlying bracket twice. However, the problem persists. The latest dealership told me that he could take me out to the lot and 3 out of 5 Edges would have this same problem (I understand that a limited number of Explorers were also having this same issue). According to my service invoice, Ford engineering is aware of the problem and is currently working on a solution, but I was just curious how many others were having this problem??

• 3 months later...

I have a 2012 Ford Edge Limited and the exact same thing is happening! I have 24k miles on it and it's been like this since at least 10k ago. I asked the dealer and they said the clip was not manufactured right and wears out? The option I was provided was to have a new bumper cover installed, but then I would be concerned the paint wouldn't match up.

I'm going to ask about it again when I take it in for the next oil change. Just curious, do you hear any rattling (plastic sound) or vibration on the driver's side going down the freeway? I don't know if they are correlated, but it's annoying and seems to have gotten worse. I used to hear it only when it was windy on the freeway - getting the cross wind, but now I hear it almost all the time at 50mph+ speeds. I have not brought the rattling up before with the dealer, but will be doing so on next visit.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, this is my first post on here and I'm sorry to bump a old thread but are you guys having the issue right where your bumper, fender and head light meet? I just bought my 2011 Edge on Thursday and didn't see the issue and then noticed it today. My Edge is a CPO, do you know if the 1 year/12,000 mile warranty to will cover them "fixing" it if I take it in? Thanks for any help guys.....

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the Edge Forum. Hope you enjoy your new ride!

As far as the bumper, I had my car in for service a couple of weeks ago. I followed up on this, and was told that Ford still has not come up with a fix for the bumper popping out. My suspicion is that they don't particularly care about it. I've certainly not seen anything to the contrary yet anyway.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Quick update everyone. Took my car in AGAIN for the bumper issue. This time, instead of replacing the clips, they replaced the entire bracket underneath. According to my service order, "Found front bumper cover loose on driver side. Found front bumper retainer on driver side clips had no tension. Removed front bumper cover. Replaced bumper retainer and re installed front bumper cover. Front bumper cover no longer coming loose."

After this fix, the bumper has stayed in place as it should!! Seems like this might be the fix we've been looking for.

• Like 1

Worked for me. :hyper:

There are 4 attachment points between the bumper and the attachment bracket. The attachment bracket is a brittle plastic and easily broken. I've had my bumper cover off a couple times for various reasons. The top attachment point of the bracket on both sides is broken and the bumper cover protrudes a little. I gently opened the gap enough to get clear RTV behind the cover, then duck taped it down for a couple hours to let the RTV set up. A body shop price is $35 x 2 for the brackets + labor to remove and install the bumper cover. A dealership would charge much more and have to keep the car for a while.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I dropped my 2013 Edge to dealer for regular maintenance (32kkms) - I asked if they can look into it (but given the history I doubt they will do anything about it). Is there anything I can do on my own to fix it?

EDIT: I only mentioned that I would like this to be done and... THEY DID IT this time. I can't wait to see if it is going to be a permanent fix :)

Edited by arabski