THE BEST TRUE DUAL EXHAUST FOR THE 3.7L SPORT

FR200FOCUS

Hey everyone I was looking to get thoughts and opinions from all you guys and girls out there that have aftermarket exhaust installed on your 3.7L Sport model. Is there any noticeable HP gains? What would be the best system out there that is available? I really want to upgrade from stock to free up some HP and make it sound better. Thanks Edge drivers!

Do a cat bypass, adding a small thrush glasspack and you'll get a healthy rumbly growl. I saw this, actually heard it on a 3.5 limited and it sounded awesome. Plus the way the guy explained that the muffler shop flanged the pipes it could be reverted back to stock with two wrenches in about 10 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks oskar27!! They are one of the best mods I have done so far and from RedlineTuning.com... I went with the Elite Quicklifts which retail for $119 but most importantly.. NO MORE HEADACHES! Installation is fairly easy, all you really need is a drill and rivet gun to attach the brackets. They come with complete instructions that are Edge specific and have detailed color photos so it should be a piece of cake with the right tools.... any questions just PM and I can help you out.

Ā 

Thanks Edgers for all of the exhaust info... i was looking at maybe going with Magnaflow for their X-pipe to replace the stock resonator but the prices are rediculous and not worth spending that for little if nothing horsepower gains. The sound would be awesome to compliment the AEM intake I just installed. I was just worried about it not being to breathe properly now with the more air going in and same amount exiting. I hope this won't require a tune but so far the intake is performing flawlessly by itself. Cat bypass option sounds very iffy because i did that on my 2001 Ford Focus when i installed a race header and aftermarket HKS exhaust, and it moved the O2 sensor downstream after the bypass and the car has never run right since.

Aside from trying to turbo/supercharge the engine (only 1 thread so far on that, and it's still debated hotly), you can cool the incoming air further than possible with the CAI alone. Either run an intercooler setup, or add methanol injection (all theoretical on this vehicle/engine). Not sure how cost effective that would be, but just a thought.

• 2 months later...

Sounds good to me oskar27... but i know dealer labor rates can be rediculous to say the least. For me, the riveting was an absolute a PAIN IN THE ROYAL A$$. Drilling into my precious hood required some pretty big coconuts too but it's all done and looks and functions amazing. Nothing like popping your hood and just pushing the hood up with a single finger almost effortlessly.

So the exhaust may be put on hold for now... for for forever. Based on everything i have heard from everyone or researched, it's almost not even worth doing to the SPORT unless only for sound. I do have the K&N intake but i'm pretty sure the stock REAL DUAL exhaust can flow good enough for now. Afterall.. it is still on warranty and I would hate to void anything. Correct me if I'm wrong c_bova... but I think these new engines automatically change timing when introduced to different octanes in fuel?

Hey guys, the only way to get noticeble gains is to do the whole package deal. K&N intake, BBK 73mm throttle body(presuming you have the 3.7L engine), the Magnaflow system with the resonator box removed and finally, tunes from SCT. Mine has more seat of the pants feel to it. Don't know how much I gained, but my best guess is between 20 to 35HP more. Better throttle response and much improved shifting from the tranny. Contact Torrie at Unleashed Tuning down in Fla. He offers 3 tunes, 87 economy, 87 performance and 93 performance(I run this one), but he can set up any type of tunes you want. Like a nitrous tune, towing and E85 too! The trans is improved by increasing the shift pressures and re-map the shift points and rev limiter as well. I feel this is the only way to get gains in HP and TQ. Bob

• Like 1