Collinite 845 Insulator Wax Usage Help

Hi, never used a sealant before and just have a few questions if you don't mind.

We are taking delivery of my wife's new Edge tomorrow and I'm taking it home immediately and will start to protect it since it should be nice and clean when we pick it up from the dealership.

I tracked down the Collinite 845 insulator wax based on a recommendation I saw here and just need to know the process.

It says it is an "insulator wax" indicating that it has a wax within. I would just like to know if I should just apply the insulator wax and be done with it? Will that provide all the paint protection I need or do I use the insulator wax first, then put a few coats of good carnuba wax afterwards?

Or vice versa, should I wax first then insulate with the Collinite?

Just don't know the proper steps to follow and how many steps I need to perform to get it nice and protected. I'm planning on doing the paint, chrome wheels and windows with this so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

Thanks, I did a little reading online and came to a bunch of threads on AutoGeek.

Basically they describe the following steps:

1. Wash

2. Clay Bar

3. Polish

4. Collinite 845 applied very thin with a foam applicator pad. Removed with microfiber towel

5. Apply a good carnuba wax (optional and not necessary)

Since we are picking up the car new, the dealership should have it washed and clean for us. I'll test the surface to see if I need to clay bar it but hopefully I can avoid that step and go straight to the polish. I plan to polish, 845 and then wax.

I'm going to use it on the wheels and do all windows except the windshield. I read the windshield with collinite may bind the wipers.

Wife should be good to go after I follow this process.

Mark

845 is the strongest wax you can buy. Congrats on getting some!

Shake the living Hell out of it. It needs to be runny but coagulates when it sits. Shake for like 5 mins..I'm not kidding.

Put on with a foam or mf applicator.

PUT IT ON AS THINLY AS YOU CAN. THIS IS VITAL TO YOUR SUCCESS AT REMOVING IT.

Let it haze, then remove with a soft micro fiber. You will use several to remove.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Hi Rich,

I think I remember seeing your post on the Collinite 845 thread on Autogeek. I think the OP was named Mike and your avatar looks familiar.

I didn't do anything last night as we got home late so I got to work today and spent about 6 hours so far.

First I conditioned the leather with 2 separate applications and then did the rest of the interior.

Next I moved onto the exterior and wiped the truck down with Meguires Quick Detailer to get rid of anything sitting on the paint. I didn't clay it because the the surface was pretty clean and felt like glass. Truck was just built and delivered for us so it hasn't been sitting for months.

Moved on and applied Meguires polish. Removed that with microfiber towels

Next I got ready for the Collinite. I had it sitting in a bucket of hot water all day and kept replacing the water throughout the day to ensure it stayed in a liquid state. I kept shaking periodically and when I was ready to apply I shook it for a bit and it was like water. I put a couple dabs on my foam applicator pad and dabbed the panel in various places and then worked that panel very lightly with the pad. I got about three panels out of each time a put a few dabs on the applicator pad and knew I had to put it on thin. I did the rear windows, all side windows, the BAMR, Truck, headlights, taillights, front grille, inside door jambs and the chrome 20s with it and looking at the bottle I can't even tell I used any because I applied as thinly as possible,

It was only about 33 degrees here today so I did this all in my garage and put my portable heaters in there to keep me warm and dry the waxes. It was about 60 degrees in the garage when I was doing this and the Collinite finally did haze and left no residue once I wiped my finger across the surface so I knew it was ready to be removed. I let it sit for about 45 minutes before removing since it was cold here and I think it was ready.

It was REALLY easy to remove and I thought it would be tougher to removed but it came off easily on all surfaces and I only used one decent sized microfiber towel to remove it from the entire truck. It was much easier to remove compared to other liquid waxes (maybe because I didn't cake it on). It looks good and feels good to the touch. I didn't have a chance to wax yet but will follow up with a Meguires Carnuba liquid wax.

Here's to hoping this will be acceptable protection for what my wife will subject the truck to!!!

Mark

Edited by Mark94

Hey Mark, I'm still in Bergen, how ya doing! I was worried when I used the collinite and used very little too. I thought that i wasn't using enough because it went on and came off super easy and clean. I used it over a base of DuraGloss 105 & 501. After two separate coats of 845 water falls off the car. Literally, its so slick that water falls off under its own weight. Beading on flat surfaces is incredible. Richy turned me on to this combo and told me to go light as 845 goes a long way, especially with a machine.

I'm up to meet up Joe! Let me know if in the area.

Edgie, where in Bergen are you? I was in Rutherford (right next to Giants Stadium for 26 years) and then moved down here 10 years ago. Spent years of my life sitting in traffic up there on Rt. 3, 46, 17. Spent a lot of time at the Garden State Mall, Willowbrook Mall, took a few summer classes at BCC and Montclair State.

Drove up to Rutheford a week ago for the first time in about 5 years for a funeral. Looks completely different up there!

Mark

Awww crap, I topped it with a Dupont Teflon wax with carnuba.

Wish you chimed in sooner :)

Oh well, It's still protected and at least has something on it compared to how we got it from the dealership.

I'll know for next time when I go through the process again in the Spring.

Mark

I wasn't too far away from Clifton. My brother, mother and father worked at the Clifton Home Depot for years. My brothers car was stolen from that parking lot!

Rich, I'm nervous I negated all my hard work by putting that Dupont wax over top of the Collinite. Do you think I stripped off all the Collinite and should I put another coat of Collinite on it or just let it be?

I've attached a photo of the stuff I used on top. I put a drop of water on the front hood and the drop beads in tight clump and then gravity takes over and the entire drop slowly moves down the hood leaving no water trail behind. I'm not sure if I can attribute the beading to the complete protection package including Collinite or just the top coat of Dupont wax if I stripped off the Collinite.

post-25091-0-18335700-1360207196_thumb.jpg

The DuPont stuff will wear off quickly leaving the 845 behind. 845 is actually quite hard to remove. It will still be there in the summer I would bet. You will have a hard time removing it even with dish soap! It's that strong!

The reason it's called "insulator wax" is that it was designed for wiring and electrical things that were outside 24/7. It was made to be very strong and it is.

Cool thanks Rich. I was reading a lot of posts from people on AG where they were stating that if you used certain things on top, it could combine with the chemicals in Collinite and essentially dissolve it (a simple way to understand it but I'm sure it's much more complicated than that). They were saying that you would only want to use a synthetic wax spray and there were only a few to use which wouldn't break down the Collinite.

If you're confident I didn't break it down, then that is all I need and can feel good about the wife driving through the storm today and tonight!

Mark

Mark, how can I say this politely....there is a lot of misinformation on AG. You really need to evaluate the source of some of those posts. My friend Richard Wright tried to remove his 845 and it took several washes with Dawn and APC to get rid of it. Psycho ex-girlfriends are easier to get rid of than 845, hehehehehe. I don't buy the dissolve it thing one bit.