What is the best HID kit for the Edge?

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up choosing Dan's kit - very happy with it and the light output is simply great. Only trouble I had a was a broken clip on the ballast connector that I'm waiting upon Dan for an answer on replacing..

I used the fender locations for grounds on Dan's kit. And being a CDN Ford Edge, I needed to install the harness. The resistors were a little tricky to place as they really do get hot (accidentally held one!) and I didn't want it to melt anything. Passenger side there is a nice spot just towards the firewall where a zip tie can hold down the resistor near the resevoir. For the driver side, I found two holes located on the frame just below the air box that would take a zip tie with some bending + trial and error and it fit there easily.

I paid the dealership $50 plus tax to shut off the drl. Took them 15 min with a little computer . When my lights are set to automatic mode they are off during the daylight only my halo are on.

How did you explain it to your dealer to have it reprogrammed? My dealer tech is dismissing me by saying there is no method to change the DRL sequence..

Edited by krazykanuck
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I want to install HID on my Edge 2016 and I see that there are two additional options to the kit: CANBus and Mopar. What is the best option? Does anybody have experience with installation of HID kit on Edge 2015+?

IMO I would just go with Dan's kit. Simple to install on our Canadian Edge's.

Edited by krazykanuck

• 4 weeks later...

I paid the dealership $50 plus tax to shut off the drl. Took them 15 min with a little computer . When my lights are set to automatic mode they are off during the daylight only my halo are on.

Which dealership did you go to? I went to two dealerships in Mississauga and they didnt know what I was talking about

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I've tried to reach out to Dan via email but he's not answering - my driver side light of the HID conversion kit stopped working.

A side from taking everything apart and swapping between driver side vs passenger side - how can I pinpoint if the problem is the bulb, or the ballast?

Hey guys, so I was looking into an hid kit, found this one online

http://www.carxenonhidkits.com/high-and-low-beam-9012-bi-xenon-hid-conversion-kit-with-slim-ballast-for-ford-edge-with-halogen-2013/

Talked to the guy and he said it'll work, I'm skeptical because I don't need a bi xenon right? There's only a single beam in there now? He assured me it'll work and that it'll also work with the drl as mine is a Canadian model. And advice?

Hey guys, so I was looking into an hid kit, found this one online

http://www.carxenonhidkits.com/high-and-low-beam-9012-bi-xenon-hid-conversion-kit-with-slim-ballast-for-ford-edge-with-halogen-2013/

Talked to the guy and he said it'll work, I'm skeptical because I don't need a bi xenon right? There's only a single beam in there now? He assured me it'll work and that it'll also work with the drl as mine is a Canadian model. And advice?

You don't need no-xenon. It seems that the offered product is directly marketed for the Edge & it is a 9012 bulb as stated in the titles, then I'd guess it is then a single bulb but marketed as no-xenon since you'll eventually get low & high beam xenon.

• 2 weeks later...

Mac, "better" is rather subjective and you will get many varying levels of agreement/disagreement.

Batter than halogen? Significantly!

Better than OEM? Probably not, but, it will at least be close enough to be considered "just as good as", if not "pretty damn close too it"

• Like 1

I just got a 2013 Edge SEL and I am planning to upgrade the headlights to HID or LED. I always throw HIDs in all my vehicles I cant drive without it haha.

Anyways I noticed in this thread everyone is running HIDs but not much talk about LED headlights? Does anyone use LED headlights with any luck? Thanks

I do, in a reflector housing. But I find the dispersion not be quite like a halogen bulb, so orienting it properly in the housing is important. Since your Edge has projectors, you might have better luck. Dingo had installed PIAA LEDs on his Edge, took off the bulb "cap", and is very pleased with the outcome.

• 3 months later...

Really leaning towards dans kit since it seems a ton of people here have used them. I have a 2016. A bit concerned with some of the comments of people saying they are getting flashed by other drivers for these lights.

Can they be adjusted or are they just shootin light up too high regardless?

Really leaning towards dans kit since it seems a ton of people here have used them. I have a 2016. A bit concerned with some of the comments of people saying they are getting flashed by other drivers for these lights.

Can they be adjusted or are they just shootin light up too high regardless?

you can't adjust the glare, it happens because you're putting the wrong bulb in your housing.

• Like 1

Before assuming the problem is light scatter and glare (which is actually quite uncommon with projector lamps converted to HID), you should check the aim of your headlights. Manufacturers are becoming notorious for extremely bad headlight aiming from the factory. I've seen various new vehicles from Ford, GM, Hyundai, Kia and Toyota with headlights aimed too high by a significant amount along with Dodge and Mazda models aimed much too low. If the lights are aimed too high, they will annoy other drivers regardless of the type of light but especially so with more powerful lights such as HID.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a 2009 Edge with 3 wire rear brake/signal/tail light sockets.

I am trying to replace the factory bulbs with LED's.

I am wearing out the wiring trying to installing the resistors across the proper wires.

What is the right/proper way to connect the resistors?

I have 50W 6RJ resistors, installed in line with the flash wire on the front and back.

When I turn the key to ACC the blink is normal. The blink goes to rapid flash when the engine is running.

HELP!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2009 Edge with 3 wire rear brake/signal/tail light sockets.

I am trying to replace the factory bulbs with LED's.

I am wearing out the wiring trying to installing the resistors across the proper wires.

What is the right/proper way to connect the resistors?

I have 50W 6RJ resistors, installed in line with the flash wire on the front and back.

When I turn the key to ACC the blink is normal. The blink goes to rapid flash when the engine is running.

HELP!

You can get rid of all those resistors if you just disable the hyperflash feature, given that any thought? If you don't want to do that and don't mind the risk of running the 4 hot resistors, the proper way to wire them is in parallel, not in series which it sounds like you have been trying. The resistors basically trick the circuit into drawing enough power as to not trigger the hyperflash, since the LEDs use so much less power than incandescent bulbs. If you want to shut off the hyperflash I can point you in the right direction. I did it to my 2016 a few days ago.

Edited by roots57

Looking for feedback on 35w vs 55w...

Majority of my driving is city driving, so I'm looking for a little more light and clarity at night. Any reason why I would need more than a 35w system??

Also, I live in California and have DRL... From reading, it sounds like I would need to run through a relay. Correct??