2012 Ford Edge Transmission Problems

Matt Kaminski

Hi Everyone - Has anyone experienced any transmission problems with their 2012 Edge (specifically AWD)? Mine has been acting up lately by doing the following:

1. Rough shifting especially between 1st/2nd year. Also when coasting at slow speeds in traffic (<5mph) and hitting the gas it thumps like it is engaging in 1st gear.

2. When driving at higher speeds and slowing down to merge, for example, when i hit the gas to speed back up it thumps hard and then engages in the correct gear.

Any insight into this would be great. I know I saw similar problems on the 2011 model year and older but I cant seem to find any TSBs on the 2012.

Thanks,

Matt

• 2 months later...

Matt,

I hope you see this. Not sure how often you look at the forum.

I purchased my 2012 Edge in March of 2012. The first week I drove it I experienced similar problems to yours, took it in to the dealer they test drove it and said it was me. Kept having the same problems, finally after having them look at it several times took it in Dec. 5, 2012 told them to keep it and drive it until it acted up for them sure enough it did after they drove it for a week. They started replacing parts in the transmission with no success, finally Ford agreed to a new transmission, after getting the car back on Jan. 5,2013 (right they had it a whole month) but did provide a rental car) with the new transmission, on Feb. 7 back to the dealer with a transmission leak. After they supposedly fixed the leak , went back for an oil change about a month later, and after being there for 3 hrs they finally came and told me they were replaced a bad seal on the transmission. I was upset at this point because they had told me they fixed that previously. The transmission still acts up occaisionally and I have filed a BBB claim for the lemon law against Ford.

Hope this is useful for you.

• Like 2

I have a 2012 Sport RWD with 15,000 miles and just experienced this for the first time the other day. It felt like the transmission slipped when I applied the gas at about 35 mph and it thumped back into gear. Will be taking it in to the dealership to see if they can diagnose the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, maandparob, for replying. That is definately helpful. I havent took it to the dealer yet about the problem, I am waiting for my next maintenance to have them check it. I'm sorry to hear you had to get a new tranny/still have problems. It almost sounds like it isn't even worth getting a new tranmission if the problem still persists. Please keep me posted on your lemon law claim if you could. Thankfully, i purchased the 75,000 warranty so at least im covered if something really goes! Thanks again!!

Matt

I had it happen to me when I would be cornering and would be off the gas and then get back on it in the corner, it would engage hard. They set me up with this gadget with a button to push whenever it did it and I drove it for a week. Wouldn't ya know, the goddamned thing never did it once!!! Kinda like going to the dentist with the hurting tooth, I suppose. Anyway, it will still do it once in a while, but it's so seldom, I just ignore it.

So it's behaving when it knows it's being watched, Richy? :hysterical2: Since Ford/GM co-developed this trans, who should really be blamed?

It sounds like they need to really dig into the programming &/or electrical innards, if the insertion of the logger into the loop really does make a difference.

• 1 month later...

Update: I recently took my Edge into for scheduled maintenance and had them look at the transmission issues i described above. TSB 13-3-18 was released in March 2013 and is supposed to fix the problems. The Powertrain Control Module is reprogrammed under the TSB. So far so good although I haven't driven much since then. I can definitely notice an improvement in shifting already.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have only had my edge for three months and it started this kick whenever I was in town. I took it back to the guy who sold it to me and he said nothing was wrong with it..... I took it to Dallas and they said it might be the computer and they would reset it. Then they said it looked like a rock bounced up and cracked something...... They had it for three days before ever looking at it. I have only had this car long enough to make one payment and now they are telling me it will be $1200 to fix. I think I will be trading it in and trying a GMC or something else besides a Ford they can't seem to help anyone with a big problem and the car has a power train Warranty and a bumper to bumper. I am so disappointed with the Ford Edge and the workers who promise they will help. At this point I will gladly take the loss of my money just to not deal with the Ford company ever again. I also feel like this should have been told to me when I bought the car and they just don't care about their customers. I will never purchase a Ford again. Good Luck to anyone who decides to buy one hope you get treated better than I did.

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys I am new to this site but I am having the same problems with my Edge and the service guy has said as much as moving cargo in the cargo stopped the problem isn't that some crap. Our edge with less than 500 miles on it started with a sudden instant stop at thirty miles an hr it was as if something broke in the drivetrain and it so violent that my hands grabbed the dash and it did not do it again but it does thump when cornering as you go back to the gas. I am afraid this thing will go down in the middle of nowhere and leave us stranded. Any suggestions?

• 2 months later...

Frustrated with 2013 Ford Edge. I love this car. Transmission went out at 12K miles when 250 miles from home. Towed it to closest dealer and 15 days later we are waiting for parts to arrive for rebuild. The technician responded "Its beyond me why Ford wants to repair and not replace". Me too. Technician said this will be his first 2013 Edge transmission rebuild. What can you do? At this point best case is we are looking at maybe having it back after 24 days. Wonder if Ford will cover my January car note since I didn't have use of it. Frustrated and now and I'm on the EDGE. Ford customer service has not fulfilled on 48 hour call back commitment. What can you do?

Hey Guys I am new to this site but I am having the same problems with my Edge and the service guy has said as much as moving cargo in the cargo stopped the problem isn't that some crap. Our edge with less than 500 miles on it started with a sudden instant stop at thirty miles an hr it was as if something broke in the drivetrain and it so violent that my hands grabbed the dash and it did not do it again but it does thump when cornering as you go back to the gas. I am afraid this thing will go down in the middle of nowhere and leave us stranded. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forums, Geo. I'm Todd, your official Ford rep. Is your Edge still at the dealer? Let me know and I'll look into available options.

Frustrated with 2013 Ford Edge. I love this car. Transmission went out at 12K miles when 250 miles from home. Towed it to closest dealer and 15 days later we are waiting for parts to arrive for rebuild. The technician responded "Its beyond me why Ford wants to repair and not replace". Me too. Technician said this will be his first 2013 Edge transmission rebuild. What can you do? At this point best case is we are looking at maybe having it back after 24 days. Wonder if Ford will cover my January car note since I didn't have use of it. Frustrated and now and I'm on the EDGE. Ford customer service has not fulfilled on 48 hour call back commitment. What can you do?

Hi hairymac,

Were you given a case number? Shoot it to me in a PM and I'll do some digging.

Todd

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, I have a 2012 Edge EcoBoost ,,, the transmission in the ecoboost is the same as smaller cars with the ecoboost,,, they are all having problems with the output shaft seals, my transmission started acting up, I went to the dealer, they said the seal was bad, A replacement modified seal was on back order, I asked them to please fill the transmission fluid until the part came in, well they did not and the transmission was five quarts low by the time the part came in. more damage that could have been avoided if fluid was topped off,... A transmission that one is unable to check or fill fluid is crazy,,,, especially if Ford installs a defective seal durring assembly and theres a leak that is not detected.... Ford said they would not cover any repairs or discount my bill,... I personally believe there will be many more transmissions on the ecoboost fords in the near future... as it's a vary slow leak , you may not notice until it's too late,. when you have an oil change, inspect the inside of the main guard personally and see if theres any tell tale leaks.... Daniel

Hi Everyone, I have a 2012 Edge EcoBoost ,,, the transmission in the ecoboost is the same as smaller cars with the ecoboost,,, they are all having problems with the output shaft seals, my transmission started acting up, I went to the dealer, they said the seal was bad, A replacement modified seal was on back order, I asked them to please fill the transmission fluid until the part came in, well they did not and the transmission was five quarts low by the time the part came in. more damage that could have been avoided if fluid was topped off,... A transmission that one is unable to check or fill fluid is crazy,,,, especially if Ford installs a defective seal durring assembly and theres a leak that is not detected.... Ford said they would not cover any repairs or discount my bill,... I personally believe there will be many more transmissions on the ecoboost fords in the near future... as it's a vary slow leak , you may not notice until it's too late,. when you have an oil change, inspect the inside of the main guard personally and see if theres any tell tale leaks.... Daniel

When was your Edge last at the dealer, Daniel? Send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership name; I'd like to look into available options on my end.

• 5 months later...

Todd,

I have been reading these post for several days. Hoping you can help. I have a 2008 Ford Edge with 83k miles on it. I have had my car at the dealership several times over the last few years because of the hard shifting, car lurching forward while stopped, sudden reving while on interstate like its stuck in gear and wont shift. First time was at 39k, then again at 59k (before my warranty was up) each time the dealership replicated but was problem inconclusive. Was told to come back when it was happening more regular. Now I'm at 83k and the dealer has had it for 4 days. They were able to replicate and found metal shavings in the transmission, however are telling me they cant diagnose until they pull it out and break it down. I have documented history that this is an ongoing issue before my warranty expired. Dealer is saying they cant tell me if this is a covered item until they speak to Ford. ???? It seems with all these thousands of posts that Ford would be aware of the issue. Can you offer any assistance as to a TSB number for a fix or wether or not this is a covered item under my warranty.

It doesn't matter whether this is a well known problem or not (with or without a TSB) unless Ford has extended the warranty to cover it. Since they haven't extended the warranty It's up to Ford whether they cover something like this. Having it documented before the warranty expires should help provided that it seems like the same problem and not a new problem. Your dealer is a big part of this and how they present it to Ford. Some fight for you and some just give up and don't try.

Hopefully between the dealer and Todd you can get some assistance. Either way you may need to have the transmission pulled and diagnosed before finding out if it will be covered, so be prepared for that.