2012 Ford Edge Transmission Problems

Matt Kaminski

Todd,

I have been reading these post for several days. Hoping you can help. I have a 2008 Ford Edge with 83k miles on it. I have had my car at the dealership several times over the last few years because of the hard shifting, car lurching forward while stopped, sudden reving while on interstate like its stuck in gear and wont shift. First time was at 39k, then again at 59k (before my warranty was up) each time the dealership replicated but was problem inconclusive. Was told to come back when it was happening more regular. Now I'm at 83k and the dealer has had it for 4 days. They were able to replicate and found metal shavings in the transmission, however are telling me they cant diagnose until they pull it out and break it down. I have documented history that this is an ongoing issue before my warranty expired. Dealer is saying they cant tell me if this is a covered item until they speak to Ford. ???? It seems with all these thousands of posts that Ford would be aware of the issue. Can you offer any assistance as to a TSB number for a fix or wether or not this is a covered item under my warranty.

Hello LEIGH4445,

Unfortunately, I do not have access to the TSBs; this info is available at your local dealers.

TSB’s are VIN specific and will need to be taken to your dealer to be properly diagnosed. Once its diagnosed they’ll be able to see if any TSB’s are associated with your vehicle.

I recommend that you continue to work with the dealer to reach a resolution. They'll be in the best position to assist.

Let me know how it goes.

It doesn't matter whether this is a well known problem or not (with or without a TSB) unless Ford has extended the warranty to cover it. Since they haven't extended the warranty It's up to Ford whether they cover something like this. Having it documented before the warranty expires should help provided that it seems like the same problem and not a new problem. Your dealer is a big part of this and how they present it to Ford. Some fight for you and some just give up and don't try.

Hopefully between the dealer and Todd you can get some assistance. Either way you may need to have the transmission pulled and diagnosed before finding out if it will be covered, so be prepared for that.

Thanks for mentioning us, akirby.

Enjoy the rest of your day! :)

Tricia

I recently bought a 2011 Edge with about 30,000 miles on it and only recently I have noticed that occasionally when I shift into reverse there will be a bit of a noticeable thud, and it's been happening on flat surfaces. I read up on possible causes for this and everything from loose/faulty engine mounts to transmission replacements were suggested. Is something like this generally covered by the 60,000 mile power train warranty, or at least enough to have them look at it?

Edited by Westside

I would think so. I assume you are out of the B2B period already :( Does it happen when you shift from Park into Reverse, or even when going through the gears from Drive back to Park? Have you checked the transmission fluid level? Underneath for any signs of fluid leaks?

May be relevant to your situation: TSB 07-21-11

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=139970

Let's see what they find when codes are pulled. You can have an auto parts place pull them also (Advance Auto, AutoZone, etc).

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 3 weeks later...

Our 2012 Edge transmission seized up and left us stuck last night in the hilly woods of Western Mass. We had experienced transmission thumps since the car was brand new but dealer could never find any problem. As we headed home last night, we began to hear a humming noise that soon (within 10 minutes) became a clacking noise and then the car literally ground itself to a stop. It felt like someone was jamming a steel rod into the drivetrain as the car jerked and skidded to a stop. It was the worst mechanical thing I have ever experienced in 35 years of driving. Glad we were not on a busy highway at the time or this could have been really dangerous. Had car towed to dealership near our home. They say they have a little backlog of transmission problems to deal with. Sounds like trouble. If you hear or feel any weird noises from yourEdge, I would recommend not driving it. Ours only gave us a short warning. Very bad. Let me know if you have similar issues or questions.

the dealer tells me they are replacing the transfer case in my Edge. I had assumed the problem was the transmission. I suppose a seized transfer case would have felt the same as a seized tranny. But it was so bad I would guess it caused additional drivetrain problems but they wont know until they fix the transfer case I suppose. Also, it seems the transfer case is actual called a PTU (Power transfer Unit).

• 1 month later...

About the hesitation issue on the Ford Edge, I’d like to comment on something posted by Edgedog in another forum in 2010. He suggested that shifting the transmission into the Sport mode (if your car is equipped with this transmission) during speeds under 60 mph would stop the lower speed hesitation by keeping the transmission from shifting into overdrive which is the 6th gear. This changes the speed and acceleration responses between the engine and the transmission from those set up in the regular Drive mode. I tried it and it works. Have a look in your owner’s manual Transmission section, Sport subpart. In this mode the engine and transmission react differently to acceleration demands than they do in the Drive mode and do so without the hesitation that is frustrating us and putting us in some danger. While I’m glad to find a way to avoid the hesitation, it lets the dealership off the hook unless we press the issue. After a civil discussion with my service manager yesterday about this, he has suggested that we put a systems monitoring gizmo in my car with a service rep for a trip out to see if it will hesitate (duplicate). I’m pretty sure it won’t “duplicate” until I drop the service guy off at the shop with his gizmo after our test drive. Nevertheless, I will be persistent on this because I love my Edge and will post an outcome whatever it may be. In the mean time, shift into Sport 5 if you have it and enjoy the steady ride. And don’t forget to hug your Edge tonight. Dryrye

• 4 months later...

Hello LEIGH4445,

Unfortunately, I do not have access to the TSBs; this info is available at your local dealers.

TSB’s are VIN specific and will need to be taken to your dealer to be properly diagnosed. Once its diagnosed they’ll be able to see if any TSB’s are associated with your vehicle.

I recommend that you continue to work with the dealer to reach a resolution. They'll be in the best position to assist.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for mentioning us, akirby.

Enjoy the rest of your day! :)

Tricia

Tricia,

I am again replying to update on my transmission issues with hard shifting.

10/14- 85,569 miles- Case Number CAS4985049- After a call to Customer Service Manager (CSM) James Hayward and email to Scott Johnson (Interim Customer Operations Manager Northeast Market 321-435-1196 Magic City replaced valve and solenoid. CSM offered goodwill of 25% with a remaining cost of $717.11 (which I felt shouldn’t be my responsibility but had to pay) and was told it was fixed.

3/16/15- Driving home on Interstate 81 during 5:00 traffic at 60 miles per hour car shifted hard and dropped to a speed of 20 miles an hour and rpm revving to max, CAUSING A TRACTOR TRAILER TO ALMOST RUN ME OVER. I swerved over and car kicked back to normal gear after a few seconds. Jumped again a few feet later and again locked in a very low gear low speed AGAIN ALMOST CAUSING ANOTHER WRECK. Got off on the exit ramp and happened AGAIN. I had to coast in neutral to get to a place I could stop. I called my local Ford service dept immediately to try and speak to service manager Jay Zane who I had dealt with in October. I was so shaken up that I was almost hyperventilating talking to the rep on the phone.

The car is now not safe to drive and I am having vehicle towed to Magic City Ford which I don’t feel I should have to pay either.

I want my car fixed. Again this is transmission related I feel that should be covered under the original warranty as this has been an ongoing issue since first reported at 39,000 miles and has been back several times for repeat issues prior to warranty expiring. Is it going to take me getting in to a serious accident possibly a death before Ford honosr their product. I have a young daughter that could have been hurt as well. Growing up my family has been a loyal Ford customer as well as my husband. This is a disgrace that you continue to give me the run around and putting my family at risk. I want my transmission fixed or replaced and covered under my original warranty.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

My tranny kept full speed when the OSS stopped working. The RPM upped about a thousand or so, but it still maintained highway speed until I slowed or stopped. The malfunction can be disturbing, but It was still drivable at highway speed and I was out in the middle of no where so I kept the throttle on until I reached a small town and then stopped. I drove it about 15 miles without a problem other than some worry.

Essentially when the sensor died I did loose the OD on the tranny. The real problem was when I stopped at the one stop sign in the whole town and it took me about a minute to get enough speed built up to cross the intersection. Knowing what I do today. Instead of stopping in that town I would have just continued the remaining 20 miles home as it would eventually hit hiway speed if you gave it enough time and distance. It was drivable but not advisable in heavy traffic. For me it was a sunday night in rural Iowa so the traffic was almost zero.

So it basically took O/D off? The throttle body causes loss of power when it malfunctions, could that be the case here?

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2014/ford-to-fix-cars-limp-home.shtml

• Like 1

Sounds like it went into LIMP HOME mode? Could definitely be the TSS/OSS sensors. Did any lights come on? Hoepfully DTCs have been set and can help resolve this issue once and for all.

No warning lights came on in my case. I received a call from the service dept at my local dealership and they have determined that I need a new transmission (IMAGINE THAT) $4800.00 with no assistance from Ford. I am beyond LIVID at this point

See post above

Did you work the issue through Tricia?

Did the dealership give any indication what leads them to believe the transmission is toast? Are there metal particles in the transmission? Is the fluid well run dry? Did they even bother to check the sensors? May be time to change dealerships, at the very least. Some of them won't take the time, others will go above & beyond.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/magic-city-ford-lincoln-roanoke

I don't really like this site, as it seems to overrate, compared to my experience:

http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/Magic-City-Ford-Lincoln-review-8802/

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I find it hard to believe that a new transmission is needed. This absolutely sounds like the Rear Output sensor.

No warning lights came on in my case. I received a call from the service dept at my local dealership and they have determined that I need a new transmission (IMAGINE THAT) $4800.00 with no assistance from Ford. I am beyond LIVID at this point

There are many sources available on the net for short warranty used 2008 Ford Edge transmissions. I would recommend that route, but most definitely get a second opinion as IMO I find it hard to believe they think you need a whole new transmission when it is most likely a sensor issue.

• Like 1

Hello LEIGH4445,

I’m glad to learn that everyone is okay. You’re on the right track by contacting your Ford Dealer and having it towed to get diagnosed. Since your vehicle is out of the new-vehicle limited warranty, be sure to speak with your service manager, as he is in the best position to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

Your fellow forum member’s macbwt and WWWPerfA_ZN0W had a great suggestion as well. I also recommend seeking a second opinion from another dealership, if you decide to discontinue working with your current dealer.

Did you work the issue through Tricia?

See post above

May be time to change dealerships, at the very least. Some of them won't take the time, others will go above & beyond...

Thanks for the mention, guys.

I’ll be here if you have any further questions. :)

Tricia

See post above

Did the dealership give any indication what leads them to believe the transmission is toast? Are there metal particles in the transmission? Is the fluid well run dry? Did they even bother to check the sensors? May be time to change dealerships, at the very least. Some of them won't take the time, others will go above & beyond.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/magic-city-ford-lincoln-roanoke

I don't really like this site, as it seems to overrate, compared to my experience:

http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/Magic-City-Ford-Lincoln-review-8802/

on my previous visit 5 months ago at that time they did find metal shavings in the transmission. At no time has it ever run dry. I have gotten copies of the repair history on my vehicle. all the codes are a little baffeling so I'm not sure what pertains to my issue.

10/2009- reported smell- PTU leaking at right front shaft seal. Replaced PUT shaft seal and Axel shaft seal

12/2009- reported smell-oil leak found in transfer case. replaced transfer case

02/2011- reported jerking of transmission. no codes found fluids ok. recalibrated PCM AND TCM and reset the transmission kam.

11/2012- reported smell again and jerking again with transmission ALSO WRENCH LIGHT CAME ON--. replaced seal, topped off transmission. koeo test, DTC P2702 present and continuous in PCM . drove while monitoring PIDS (contact id 105904616. DUPLICATED CONCERN ONCE AND RECORDING OF PIDS MADE BUT DATA INCONCLUSIVE. ADVISED CUSTOMER TO RETURN WHEN CONCERN CAN BE MORE READILY DUPLICATED.

10/2014- HARD SHIFTING AGAIN. - VERIFIED CONCERN, FOUND METAL SHAVINGS IN TRANSMISSION. CHECKED DTC'S FOUND NONE, RAN OASIS AND FOUND NO TSB OR SSM.

FOUND VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY HAD A VALVE STICKING AND THE SOLENOID BODY HAD A SOLENOID THAT WAS INTERMITTENTLY OPENING AND CLOSING DURING OUTPUT STATE CONTROL. REPLACED BOTH. REFILLED TRANSMISSION FLUID.

So they did replace the PTU once, in 12/2009. And in less than 1.5 years, you started having issues with the transmission (PTU seems ok). Which seal did they replace in 11/2012?

P2702 - Transmission Friction Element "C" Apply Time Range/Performance Seems to be a generic code, for 6-speed transmissions, from what I can make out (P2701-6). To me, that means that the clutch/band material for that gear is wearing out, and action should have been taken at that time (since they had duplicated the concern. Instead they took the risk the trans would fail by asking you to come back when "concern can be more readily duplicated". I don't know why they went that route.

From the FSM:

P2702 Intermediate clutch system faults (includes clutch, valve body and non-electrical SSC faults) Intermediate clutch failed on. Intermediate clutch failed on, could be due to:

• Intermediate clutch VFS (SSC) non-electrical failed stuck on (pressure).
  • Intermediate clutch stuck on due to mechanical failure.
  • Intermediate clutch regulator valve stuck in the spring compressed position.

P0761, P2702

• Customer may notice neutral conditions or flares on shifts to 2nd or 6th as the test is determining intermediate clutch is failed off.
  • Once a code is stored, all gears with intermediate clutch on are disabled (2nd and 6th gears) leaving 1st gear without engine braking, 1st gear with engine braking, 3rd, 4th and 5th gears.
  • Customer might notice erratic shifting, neutral conditions, flares, higher engine speeds on highway (due to 6th gear being disabled).
  • Will turn on wrench lamp.

P0762, P2702

• Customer may notice a vehicle deceleration on a shift into 3rd or 5th gears (intermediate clutch failing to release will cause a tie-up in 3rd or 5th gears).
  • Customer might notice erratic shifting or being stuck in 6th gear while the test is confirming C26 is failed on.
  • After a code is stored 1st gear with engine braking, 1st gear without engine braking, 3rd, 4th and 5th gears are disabled.
  • Customer might notice hanging in 2nd gear on acceleration since 2nd gear — 6th gear upshifts only occur at closed pedal (due to energy limitations of overdrive clutch), harsh reverse engagements (since low/reverse clutch is not on in 2nd gear).
  • Will turn on wrench lamp.

Refer to Diagnosis By Symptom in this section.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

The comments are jibberish to me, but here is what they say on my paperwork:

For the "smell" concern:

59870 see TSB 09-25-07, 092507A 1.6 REPLACE THE PTU INTERMEDIATE SHAFT SEAL, TOPPED OFF TRANSMISSION, TEST DROVE VEHICLE, CONCERN NO LONGER PRESENT

The rest of my comments from that date were from the transmission jumping.

does this help? or I can attach the records I have scanned.

Edited by LEIGH4445

Ok, so the infamous PTU seal leak occurred was repaired in 11/2012 as well? So this happened with the new PTU. But no direct connection that I know of with transmission failure. It IS possible that the leak could have been due to excessive pressure inside the transmission (not PTU) and caused seal failure, but that is pure speculation on my part.

The major thing to me is still the P2072 code noted on 11/2012 visit, and nothing done to address it.

IMHO, yes I think so. I don't know how far you will have to go down this road to get assistance, but if you have already tried National Customer Service, and not been satisfied, you will have to seek legal counsel. I am not sure what used/rebuilt/remfrd transmissions go for, that could be another option to having a brand new one put in.