Ford Edge limited or Hyundai Santa Fe limited

Well, I've been looking at the Ford Edge limited model for awhile then came across a Hyundai Santa Fe Limited model (these are barely coming out to dealers right now).

The Santa Fe limited looks like it can do everything the edge does except the voice activation and ambient lighting and priced with options is $37,125(this includes cargo security shade, bumper protector, and all weather floor mats. They have standard 19" wheels no other options) Vs. ford edge at $42,245(this is just the sticker price for the platinum white, 302A package with 20" wheels)! (And they don't have those colors they charge $400-$600 for)

Anyways, I like them both. Santa Fe's only advantage is the cooled seats and built in rear sun shades for back rows, heated steering wheel, and possibly heated 2nd row seats (which I don't even need heated 2nd row), bigger/ longer warranty. Ford edge advantage is the HID, voice activated sync system, and the ambient lighting (I like how you can choose the color you'd like), as well as the computer screens in the dash.

I like both cars, it's a debating process right now and both companies have issues as any car company does. I worry about the Ford service as I've heard they aren't very nice nor stand by their own cars.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Roxy Bear

I agree with fishx65, American made. I have owned mostly Ford products (2 GM's years ago), never had a major problem with them, and service has always been like the steak sauce - 'A-1'. True, the wife and I now own Lincolns, still another fine product built by Ford.

I would say ya gotta spend some time behind the wheel in both. The cool thing about the Edge is that Ford is an American Company!!!!

I've always been more on the American car company myself. I even thought for some reason that Hyundai was american made, I found on the internet that their cars come from a plant in the US and have plants in Canada. Thought it was weird that the Santa Fe Limiteds were coming over from South Korea.

The Ford Edge is still on the top of my list of course. I'm hoping no major redesigns come to it unti the 2015 model year, giving me a little extra time just in case!

I agree with fishx65, American made. I have owned mostly Ford products (2 GM's years ago), never had a major problem with them, and service has always been like the steak sauce - 'A-1'. True, the wife and I now own Lincolns, still another fine product built by Ford.

I like the look of the Ford Edge over their Lincoln version. Both are great vehicles I'm sure. ^_^

We went through this same decision, the Santa Fe is an awesome value for sure. We test drove one and found it rode nice and was as quiet as the Edge. In the end though we ordered a Edge AWD Limited, mainly because my last 2 vehicles have been Fords and I haven't had many problems with them. The Edge is made 30 miles from us here on Toronto, and we were worried about buying a new updated model year vehicle.

In the end we ended up getting an awesome deal on our Edge AWD LTD for less than the Santa Fe anyways. We ordered our Edge on March 5th, hopefully the wait isn't too much longer.

We are in the midst of a lemon lawsuit with our 11' Explorer. It has a roof leak that gets worse every time Ford attempts to repair it. Its been in over 9 times and has spent over 100days at the dealer. Anyway, since the 13's are having the same problem, I was interested in looking at the Santa Fe's with third row seating as an alternative. They certainly look great and ive driven in older models and was quite impressed. I plan on taking one out for an extended drive when they hit the dealers around here to really shake one out and compare them. Keep us updated on your thoughts.

We drove the new sante fe prior to purchasing our edge limited. It did drive nice, although I thought the transmission was a bit quirky and didnt always know what gear to be in. Interior I feel is nicer on the edge, exterior I give the Sante Fe the nod. Its a tough call, they are both nice. I felt the Edge was roomier, less blind spots, and better entertainment system.

We are in the midst of a lemon lawsuit with our 11' Explorer. It has a roof leak that gets worse every time Ford attempts to repair it. Its been in over 9 times and has spent over 100days at the dealer. Anyway, since the 13's are having the same problem, I was interested in looking at the Santa Fe's with third row seating as an alternative. They certainly look great and ive driven in older models and was quite impressed. I plan on taking one out for an extended drive when they hit the dealers around here to really shake one out and compare them. Keep us updated on your thoughts.

Wow! See Ford Service is what I really worry about. Plus they have a small warranty as the Hyundai has a much larger one. I know all cars and their companies have their issues but some people have had such horrible experiences when trying to get their vehicles fixed by Ford.

The upside of the Edge: Ambient lighting (not needed but still pretty cool), voice activated system, BLIS, collision support (don't really need adaptive cruise but looks like a cool feature to have), 19 city and 27 highway MPG, Sony system, passenger also gets a 10 way power seat.

The upside of the Santa Fe: 3 different steering modes (normal, comfort and sporty), cooled seats, built in sun shade for 2nd row, heated second row seats (some actually like/want that feature), heated steering wheel, also has a panoramic roof, more cargo space with 3rd and 2nd rows folded down, it also has 12 speaker sound system not sure how infinity system sounds. I think the limited model will also have the HID.

The Santa Fe Limiteds were supposed to be out in Jan. and I'm hoping they aren't as popular as the Hyundai sales man said they are. I'd like to actually see one and get to test drive one someday soon.

luckily, when I'm ready to buy the Hyundai and Ford dealerships are right across from each other! ^_^

We drove the new sante fe prior to purchasing our edge limited. It did drive nice, although I thought the transmission was a bit quirky and didnt always know what gear to be in. Interior I feel is nicer on the edge, exterior I give the Sante Fe the nod. Its a tough call, they are both nice. I felt the Edge was roomier, less blind spots, and better entertainment system.

I think the 2013's and the V6 shouldn't be too bad. I do like the look of the Santa Fe and the Edge, so that'll be a tough call.

You make a pretty good case to consider the Hyundae, but I would still pick Ford, for the best overall quality, and resale. I also give points to Ford for making the amazing comeback from when Ford stock was bottomed out at about $1/share, and yet they took no bailout. Have you check Ford's stock prices lately? That's a good indicator of investor confidence in a company, and where they are headed. But back to the choices; I would say, if nothing else matters, just go for the one that you would be most pleased with seeing in your driveway. Good luck with your chice.

You make a pretty good case to consider the Hyundae, but I would still pick Ford, for the best overall quality, and resale. I also give points to Ford for making the amazing comeback from when Ford stock was bottomed out at about $1/share, and yet they took no bailout. Have you check Ford's stock prices lately? That's a good indicator of investor confidence in a company, and where they are headed. But back to the choices; I would say, if nothing else matters, just go for the one that you would be most pleased with seeing in your driveway. Good luck with your chice.

The trouble is... I'd like to see BOTH in my driveway! My main concern with the ford is their warranty. I'd have to pay more $$ to get an extended warranty to cover me, but that only goes to 7 years vs. Hyundai's 10. I don't like the idea of having to buy more warranty service on a $40,000+ vehicle.

I would get the Hyundai Santa Fe. For me, I like the newer body style of the Santa Fe and available 3rd row seating.

I love the styling of the Santa Fe and the captains chairs in the limited model. The very 1st vehicle I really wanted and was looking at was an acadia, but it's too expensive plus I really don't need that big of a vehicle. So the Limited Santa Fe would be my mini acadia!

I wish the santa fe 3 row models came with ambient lighting, not needed of course but still very neat thing to have! Bummed that the U.S. models are actually NOT getting the cooled front row seating. Don't understand why Canada gets them though =(.

Anyways, I still have a while to save up and look at both until I'm finally ready. Was hoping it was going to be much sooner but things happen. -_-

It'll give Hyundai more time to get their 3 row models into their dealerships and maybe by then, they won't be too popular as well as the Ford Edge and I'll see what deals I can get.

^_^

I saw the seven passenger Santa Fe today at the car show and was so impressed with it. Wife doesn't like the shape of the hood but when the local dealer gets one were still test driving one. If, or I should say when Ford lemons our current explorer, we may consider one of these, or try our hand with a new 2014 Explorer. I have to agree the Acadia is as nice a truck as you can ask for.

The Santa Fe comes with two four cylinder engines and an optional 6.

• 190-hp 2.4L or 264-hp 2.0T DOHC 16-valve CVVT engines
  • V6 generates 290 hp and 252 lb.-ft. of torque

The Edge comes with a 240 hp turbo 4 banger or a 285 hp V6

The only Santa Fe that can get the 6 cylinder is the three row version.

• 2 weeks later...

If your worried about having to spend money on repairs and maintenance. Buy the Hyundai. If money's really not the biggest issue the edge looks way better. If your a middle income family guy buy the Hyundai. Not as good resale value as the edge IMO but the warranty on them and the reliability is way better than the ford. I don't mind spending the extra cash to maintain my turd just because I like the look of my edge over the Hyundai. I bought my edge from a Hyundai dealership. The towing on the new 3 row Hyundai is 5000lbs aswell. Edge only 3500lbs

• 4 months later...

I decided not to go with the Ford Edge. However, I did keep my $$ in the american cars. I just bought a 2013 GMC Acadia Denali since they had sales going on and the 2014's were coming out. It was the last 2013 Acadia on the lot and it was just about to be transferred over to another dealership. =P :happy feet:

Anyways, thanks for all the help and input everyone! :rockon:

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So being in 2016,

What would you buy:

Ford Edge Titanium AWD 2016 or Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T Ultimate 2016

?

Have you had a chance to drive test both?

Well I have not test drove the Edge 2016. No dealers in our area have had a Titanium AWD since September when I did look.

I did test drive the 2015 SEL Edge AWD and did Test Drive the Santa Fe Sport 2.0 T Ultimate 2016.

See my thread:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/19100-hyunda-vs-ford-vs-subaru-vs/

Still waiting for any dealers (we have like 4 in the area) to get a 2016 Edge Titanium AWD turbo with the 302B tech package, but no go yet.

I don't anticipate any drive difference in the 2015 vs 2016, but I would expect a little difference between the SEL and Titanium due to wheel size.

Anyhoo:

I'm waiting for the 2017 Hyunda Santa Fe Sport because it'll have Android Auto (not sure about Carplay) support, and a slew of other features (Hyundai did officially announce) which would put it more on par with the Edge, IMO.

For me, the question ultimately is (assuming Ford fixed their QA issues in the 2016 Edge):

Is $7,500 difference worth it?

(Hyunda is about 7500 cheaper than the fully equipped Edge I'm looking at). Plus the Hyundai has a 10-year warranty (or you can factor that another $1500 will get you an extended warranty on the Edge, ,which then makes it closer to $9,000 more).

Yeah, the ride is smoother, noise a *little* quieter, but at 9k, that's a big price difference, IMO.

I'm also waiting for the 2017 Kia Sorento to come out (hoping the car show in NY in April will announce what it'll have). Assuming the Kia has android auto/carplay, that'll put it more on par with the Edge, and the pricing is almost the same but you get a better warranty.

I've heard that while the warranty is good, you do end up spending a lot more time in the shop with these Korean makes. Is that still true?

Depends on the model year. If you base "overall" on consumer reports and owner satisfaction, Kia and Hyundai rank "higher" than Ford. But again, specific model years (and some consecutive years) have issues. From what I can tell, for me, if I had to use info from a few months ago, the 2015 Ford Edge had way worse reliability than the 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport or 2016 Kia Sorento. But now that the 2016 Edge is out, I'm hoping Ford's managed to fix those issues. In the 2017 Hyundai, most of the changes are with the infotainment, and added things like all-around camera, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise, etc.

But take 'em for a test drive. Everyone has their own list of priorities and what's important to them. I would suggest using a smartphone app for sound meter, and g-force to try to objective quantify noise levels and "ride smoothness".

I'm just picky, but I don't want to make the same mistake I did with my '05 Equinox. So this go around, I'm doing spreadsheets and taking my time. Hopefully this November, I'll have a new vehicle, just not sure which one yet. My final 3 (unless Nissan fixes their infotainment, which is highly unlikely at this point), it'll be a close tie between the 2016 Edge, the 2017 Sorento, and the 2017 Santa Fe Sport. I think the 1st two are extremely closely matched (based on last year's test drive) on comfort and noise level, but I'm still digesting the price difference.

If/when I can get updated test drives, I'll post back here with hopefully more detailed info.