Can the interior dome light be turned off???

Holy smokes! I think you should sell it or trade it in before someone notices it's defective - the courtesy lights can't be independently turned off like "most" other cars. Strange... of the seven cars I've owned (or still own) over the last ten years, only one - a BMW - had a switch for the courtesy lights so I guess the BMW is the 1 in 7 that represents "most" cars. :doh:

BTW, for tailgating purposes, the interior lights will go off automatically with a door left open after about 10-15 minutes as part of the battery saver circuitry.

Edited by TheWizard

Japanese makes have had off switches from at least the 80's. The Chevy Cruze I owned also had one. For some reason American brands started embracing the idea only lately. Even the Ford Expedition had an off switch for the rear cargo light & the 2013 Fusion can have all the courtesy lights stay off when a door is open. Won't be surprised if the 2015 Edge came with one too.

On my 2011 Edge, I pulled down the front dome light assembly (very easy), there's a 3 wire connector to the lights.

-Ground

-Dome/Door light

-Push Button Map lights

I cut the dome/door wire and put a switch on it. I mounted it through the headliner, in front of the light, near the windshield.

You can mount a switch anywhere if you want to rn the wires..

The same can be done with the rear dome light.

the push button map lights still work normally.

the rear cargo lights still go on with the doors.

Can you share pictures? Or even a how to that would be a great addition to the mod section.

Holy smokes! I think you should sell it or trade it in before someone notices it's defective - the courtesy lights can't be independently turned off like "most" other cars. Strange... of the seven cars I've owned (or still own) over the last ten years, only one - a BMW - had a switch for the courtesy lights so I guess the BMW is the 1 in 7 that represents "most" cars. :doh:

BTW, for tailgating purposes, the interior lights will go off automatically with a door left open after about 10-15 minutes as part of the battery saver circuitry.

no one said anything about being defective, i was simply stating things i didn't care for about the car. no need to get ur wizard robe all wrinkled and all. ;) "most" of the cars I've owned in the past 20 years have pretty much had the option for the dome light switch, so this is new to me and a bit of an inconvenience. no big deal tho. cheers!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I asked the service guy at my dealership about it. He looked it out with his computer attached to the vehicle (2013 Edge Sport). He found a feature call "Black Out" (I think). Anyways, He turned the feature on and now my lights stay off when the doors are open. And if I want them on at anytime, I just hit the button, then again to turn them back off. The only thing I noticed is that the puddle lights don't come on, unless I hit the dome light button.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

On my 2011 Edge, I pulled down the front dome light assembly (very easy), there's a 3 wire connector to the lights.

-Ground

-Dome/Door light

-Push Button Map lights

I cut the dome/door wire and put a switch on it. I mounted it through the headliner, in front of the light, near the windshield.

You can mount a switch anywhere if you want to rn the wires..

The same can be done with the rear dome light.

the push button map lights still work normally.

the rear cargo lights still go on with the doors.

Thanks, I did the same as you did, used this switch & used 3m double sided tape to stick the switch to the windshield at the top, just below the headliner. Does 90% of what I need as the rear dome light & cargo lights don't bother me at all.

• 1 year later...

Just discovered this "feature" while trying to camp and leaving the back hatch open to access the cooler...had to look up the various solutions and decided to pull Fuse #12. Solved the problem however getting the fuse back in was a bit of a problem, dropping it twice. I couldn't retrieve it the second time so now I have to run out and buy a few spares.

After spending $600 for the "door Ajar" fix, now experiencing the "Shift into Park" nuisance prompt and having Ford Canada email me to tell me that someone would call within three days (a month ago), I highly doubt that we would EVER entertain buying another Ford product. As my wife so eloquently put it, "I just can't trust it since its something new every time" It's only 4 years old with 52000 km on it for Pete's sake.

• 4 years later...