Dead Battery

Xcessive Carts

Hopefully you'll get a district rep involved. I don't think that Ford is necessarily ignoring this issue on purpose - I think it's just really hard to figure out what's causing it and how to fix it.

Ā 

One suggestion for the service dept. is to measure the current draw when your vehicle is off versus another similar vehicle. If your current draw is much higher then that points to a definite defect. Finding the source is another issue but if nothing else that should allow you to document the defect for lemon law purposes.

• Like 1

Yes, the rep said that a regional service person will be called in and that either that person or the dealership will be back in touch within 4 business days. I have to call the dealer service manager now and give him the case # ... the rep said that would expedite things ... and when I do I will mention what you said about the current draw comparison.

Ā 

Thanks!

I'm looking to contact Scott Hennig about his case. A Ford Regional rep has been in touch with the dealer Service Manager already and I just spoke with him. He said the Ford rep suggested to update the software on the BCM (Body Control Module), which they did. Now the Service Manager is going to drive it home tonight and monitor.

Ā 

I have a sinking feeling this is not the solution, based on Scott Hennig's situation, so I would like to put my dealer's Service Manager and Ford rep in touch with his, so they can compare notes.

Ā 

Thanks.

UPDATE :)

Ā 

It looks like we won't have to put up with much more of this. I called the dealership owner, who gives you her cell number (yes, no kidding) when you buy a car. I explained the situation to her and she said she's going to take care of it. She said she would help us start the Lemon Law procedure or she would take the car back and give us another. She's out of town now and said she will call tomorrow to get things started.

Ā 

I am so thankful and relieved and wish any of you with this problem had a dealer as good as this one. :love_shower:

Ā 

I'll report back when we've begun to finalize the whole thing and tell you how it worked out.

• Like 1

** UPDATE**

Ā 

Edge is still at dealer. 10 days for this visit and 40 days total. Ford is dragging their feet. I was going to put all the details on the latest conversations with ford, But being that It looks like I will be hiring an Attorney this week I thought it best to not post to much detail at this time

Ā 

I will say that Ford has no idea what they are doing with this issue and everything they do seems designed to just continue to drag their feet and not do the right thing. I was even offered an extended warranty this week for free. Truck isn't fixed and it's a 3 year Lease fully covered by standard warranty, why would I want an extended warranty.

Ā 

Best I can figure is by Ford not doing the right thing it will cost them 15K in Refunds and expenses via a lemon law case.

Ā 

Truck still at dealer , and still driving a Loaner from the dealer. Funny thing is that my wife has been in the loaner so long and on the back in larger letters it says the dealers name and loaner, that everyone who knows us including where she works keeps saying what is the matter with Ford if they can't fix this edge or why don't they give you a new one.. Who knows how much goodwill it's costing them by not taking care of this.

Scott... I don't know if you tried contacting the dealership owner directly or not, but maybe you should try to resolve it by talking to the owner, rather than going through Ford. He or she might be more approachable and flexible, from both a human and organizational perspective. I'm not sure if you wanted to leave Ford as a customer or not, but I called the dealer owner directly and she has offered to take our Edge back and give us a new one.

I leased this from a Large multi branch dealer and the owner is not on site when I visited this AM. I sent him an email explaining my issue's this AM and we will see if He responds. If he does then I will see what he can do. If he doesn't respond then, I will know that they don't care either.. No matter what This issue will take the next step this week.. It's up to Ford what that next step is. I'm sick of dealing with this !!!

I realize that the dealership owner we are working with is probably a rare species, but she it also a large multi-branch / multi-brand dealer. She does a rare thing of giving you a postcard with her cell phone and email when you buy a vehicle from one of her dealerships. I called her cell and she answered, listened, and immediately promised to take our car back and get us another. She has been out of town with a family issue, so it's not complete yet, but we are hopeful for things to begin rolling this week.

I hope you can have a similar experience.

Edited by WHaylett

Update

Ā 

The dealership owner wants us to take back the car and try again. If it happens again for the 4th time, then she promises she will save us going to arbitration and give us a new car.

Ā 

I guess she tried to work up a new car deal last week and she couldn't swing it without a big loss, due to model year change, lesser rebates than what we had, etc. So, she said she thought it was reasonable for us to try it one more time, with some confidence that the software update fixed it. If it happens again, she promises to give us another car, at her loss.

Ā 

It is, in fact, reasonable, but it does shake your confidence. We will take it back and, although our confidence will be shaken, will hold out hope (faith?) that it is a fix.

Edited by WHaylett

Update

Ā 

The dealership owner wants us to take back the car and try again. If it happens again for the 4th time, then she promises she will save us going to arbitration and give us a new car.

Ā 

I guess she tried to work up a new car deal last week and she couldn't swing it without a big loss, due to model year change, lesser rebates than what we had, etc. So, she said she thought it was reasonable for us to try it one more time, with some confidence that the software update fixed it. If it happens again, she promises to give us another car, at her loss.

Ā 

It is, in fact, reasonable, but it does shake your confidence. We will take it back and, although our confidence will be shaken, will hold out hope (faith?) that it is a fix.

Ā 

Hey WHaylett,

Ā 

Please PM your case number and I'll see what I can do on my end.

Ā 

Todd

• 2 weeks later...

They figured a sensor was not working properly, and not recognizing that the car was in park. This was leaving the computer system on and therefore, draining the battery. So they changed the entire gear shaft and put in a new battery. They did all the work on Friday but still wanted to let it sit over the weekend to make sure it would start on Monday. It started right up for them on Monday, and they called me and told me I could pick it up. Due to my work schedule, I couldn't pick it up till today. I got there and when we went out to my car, the car was completely dead. Needless to say I did not come home with my car.

Ā 

I called Ford and made a claim, which is the 3rd claim I've made regarding this issue. I'm beyond fed up at this point. I feel that since 2 service departments at Ford dealerships with the help of Ford engineers can't figure out what is the problem with my car, that I am entitled to receive a replacement vehicle. I will be contacting legal representation tomorrow.

Sorry to hear of your continuing troubles with your Edge, sharafink. I hope Ford and/or the dealership gets on this immediately and offers you a replacement vehicle ASAP.

Update on our case is that the dealer and Ford believe that the problem is fixed with a software update, The update was not to the Body Control Module, as they originally implied, but to the Front Display Module (per TSB 12-11-8), as was suggested by the Ford regional rep. We picked up the car 8 days ago and haven't had the Battery Saver warning message or the Low Battery warning yet. We are really hoping it is fixed.

Ā 

But, because the last occurrences happened with 6-8 week spans in between, we aren't breathing a total sigh of relief.

Sorry to hear of your continuing troubles with your Edge, sharafink. I hope Ford and/or the dealership gets on this immediately and offers you a replacement vehicle ASAP.

Ā 

Update on our case is that the dealer and Ford believe that the problem is fixed with a software update, The update was not to the Body Control Module, as they originally implied, but to the Front Display Module (per TSB 12-11-8), as was suggested by the Ford regional rep. We picked up the car 8 days ago and haven't had the Battery Saver warning message or the Low Battery warning yet. We are really hoping it is fixed.

Ā 

But, because the last occurrences happened with 6-8 week spans in between, we aren't breathing a total sigh of relief.

Ā 

I tried to find a copy of TSB 12-11-8 to see exactly what it says, but couldn't find any information on the web. I did find it mentioned on a Flex forum and a C-Max forum about dead batteries. The Flex's problem was something to do with the radio remaining on even with the key out and the door having been opened.

Ā 

Hopefully this will fix your problem and help others with the same problem.

Yes, I hope it solves the problem, too. I didn't find the TSB linked with any Edge issues, either, but found it related to Escape, Flex, C-Max, and F150, I believe. And, yes, according to the dealer service manager, it has to do with a small My Ford (not touch) display linked accessory remaining on after key out and door opened.

The forum isn't letting me send you a PM. The case # was CAS-3954067. I believe they closed it out because of the software update and because they couldn't find any other problems. If it happens again, I guess we have to open another case.

Ā 

Hi Wendy Shinyo Haylett,

Ā 

I read the notes from the case you provided, and the case was indeed closed on the 17th. To clarify, the concerns are still occurring?

Ā 

Todd

Thanks, Todd. We picked up the vehicle on Tuesday, 2/18. We have not had a battery savery or low battery warning since that time.

Ā 

My only concern was that when it happened the other times, 6-8 weeks went by between incidents, so not having one in a week doesn't yet make me convinced. But I am hopeful.

Ā 

You're welcome, Wendy Shinyo Haylett! I'm hopeful as well. :) Let me know if you have any questions.

Ā 

Todd