Dead Battery

Xcessive Carts

• 2 weeks later...

Fordservice-

Ā 

No offense but I don't think you can help me and my issue is almost resolved but has not been a very good process due to Fords lack of care. I have a Edge with 4600 miles on it and due to no fault of mine it has been a nightmare. I know things happen but how companies deal with the problems are what makes Good companies great. Ford has failed me at every turn of my issues. Like I said the issue is almost resolved and I will post a recap of what happened once it's appropriate but for now I will leave my comments as is.

• Like 1

Fordservice-

Ā 

No offense but I don't think you can help me and my issue is almost resolved but has not been a very good process due to Fords lack of care. I have a Edge with 4600 miles on it and due to no fault of mine it has been a nightmare. I know things happen but how companies deal with the problems are what makes Good companies great. Ford has failed me at every turn of my issues. Like I said the issue is almost resolved and I will post a recap of what happened once it's appropriate but for now I will leave my comments as is.

Ā 

Keep in mind that you're working through a Ford dealer and the dealers are independent businesses. Ford has little control over bad dealer behavior. I'm not saying that's what happened here but a lot of times owners have issues that turn out to be caused by the dealer not Ford corporate. But owners don't necessarily make a distinction between the dealer and Ford. The reason it's important is that you can fix a bad dealer by going to another one.

Fordservice-

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

No offense taken. ;) You know where to find me should your needs change.

Ā 

Todd

I had a similar experience with my 2013 Edge. My car will show low battery warning if I don't drive it for two weeks. I have been to dealer twice and they could not find any problem but they change my battery anyway since it is still under warranty. Then my battery was dead two days ago, when I have not driven it for two weeks! I went to another dealer and they could not find the problem either. I really think this is a design issue that something is draining power slowly. The dealer was kind enough to ask me to come back again for another test which takes a couple of days and I really suspect whether it will work after I heard your stories. I will give it a try and will update later.

I had a similar experience with my 2013 Edge. My car will show low battery warning if I don't drive it for two weeks. I have been to dealer twice and they could not find any problem but they change my battery anyway since it is still under warranty. Then my battery was dead two days ago, when I have not driven it for two weeks! I went to another dealer and they could not find the problem either. I really think this is a design issue that something is draining power slowly. The dealer was kind enough to ask me to come back again for another test which takes a couple of days and I really suspect whether it will work after I heard your stories. I will give it a try and will update later.

Ā 

Hey garfield,

Ā 

I'd like to put you in touch with your regional customer service manager, who'll work with you and your preferred dealership to come to a solution. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone numbers, VIN, mileage, and the name/city of your dealer.

Ā 

Todd

Picked up a new 2014 Edge last night. Turned in my 2013 which still wasn't repaired due to the chronic dead battery issue. All I can say for now is I did a msrp-msrp swap. I'm waiting for a Senior executive at Ford to get back to me about something I spoke with him about.

Ā 

Have not decided yet If I will remain a Ford Customer or not.. All depends on what answer I get.

Ā 

PS: My advice to anyone who has a lemon. Make sure you know the law for your state and start the process ( usually involves a letter to ford) as early as possible, and you will need to keep pressing Ford to replace it. You should be able to start the process yourself without an attorney. I was told no new vehicle about 6 times and the day I spoke with an Attorney, I called Ford and told them tomorrow the attorney gets the case they said they would replace it .The whole process takes way to long and it's endless circles of unanswered phone calls and missed commitments etc. It took 4 weeks from the day the said they would replace it until I got the new one

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

An update:

Ā 

First, I want to thank Todd to connect me to Ford service people. I left my car at the dealer and they provided a free rental car. This was a week ago.

Ā 

Today, I came back from the dealer and they did not find anything wrong with my car. The parasitic draw is only 20 mA, which is below 50mA limit. I suspect that the battery drain must have been triggered by something, maybe open the door with keypad or trunk. But it is so hard to reproduce the problem without knowing what causes it. I will keep an eye on the car to see under what conditions the battery dies again.

An update:

Ā 

First, I want to thank Todd to connect me to Ford service people. I left my car at the dealer and they provided a free rental car. This was a week ago.

Ā 

Today, I came back from the dealer and they did not find anything wrong with my car. The parasitic draw is only 20 mA, which is below 50mA limit. I suspect that the battery drain must have been triggered by something, maybe open the door with keypad or trunk. But it is so hard to reproduce the problem without knowing what causes it. I will keep an eye on the car to see under what conditions the battery dies again.

Ā 

You're welcome, garfield! I'm happy to have been able to assist. If the concern occurs again, head to your dealer and shoot me a PM letting me know.

Ā 

Todd

Todd-

Ā 

I got a replacement edge about 2 weeks ago, new one is fine at this point. It still upsets me that I had to fight with Ford for 3 months to do what they should have done months ago. I expected a process but Ford was uncooperative and didn't seem to care at all. I was told things that still blow my mind .The people at Ford and The 3rd party who does the repurchase had no clue and no sense of urgency. I spent over 60 hours on these issues and the only reason I got a new edge was because of my persistence and documentation. I give Ford no credit for doing the right thing. They only replaced it because of the Lemon Law in NJ, and my understanding of the law and tenacity in dealing with them. They really should consider taking care of customers instead of just putting customers thru such an ordeal. I was told at one point the truck was fixed per my final demand letter. I went to dealer and was told the " FORD ENGINEER" cleared the truck and it's fixed. I questioned what was done and dealer told me that the "FORD ENGINEER" removed 4 fuses for power points and wants to see what happens. So the Ford engineer thinks removing 4 fuses is fixing the truck ? Well guess what happened next ? The truck died 4 days later and was brought back again.

• 1 month later...

We have had our 2013 Edge towed to the dealer twice because of either the battery is dead or there is an electrical failure in the system somewhere. Because we do not have a garage the tow truck driver had to jump start the car to get it in neutral so he could put it on his truck. The dealer replaced the battery and it was fine for 2 days. Then it happened again (thank goodness it was in my driveway and not out in the desert!!) Once again it had to be jump started so it could be moved and then the dealer could not duplicate the failure. They kept it a week and still nothing happened so we got the car back. Now when I park the car anywhere I either put it in a pull through parking spot or back it in my driveway so that if it has to be towed again they can use the front end lift and it should still be dead when it gets to the dealer so they can find the problem. Apparently if it is the battery there is something draining the charge. We took the car on a fairly long drive this weekend -- southern California to Sacramento and back. We had do problems. However, we do not feel comfortable taking the car somewhere that we have to stop the car and then get it started again to get to our final destination. We should not have to worry about this with a new car -- it is 6 months old. If we absolutely have to be somewhere we take our 8 year old Grand Marquis that is very dependable -- sure wish Ford was still making those because we would have bought another one -- the one we have is our 5th one and we will hang on to it as long as we can!! Obviously Ford has an electrical problem that they need to fix. Probably we are going to have to do the lemon law thing after a few more trips to the dealer for service.

• Like 2