Dead Battery

Xcessive Carts

Since you have identified a problem/solution related to the ignition switch, that may bear further investigation. I Assume you do not have push-start. I used to have a kinda related issue in my 2007. Until they replaced the cylinder/switch. Still would act up occasionally, till i got the Optima in there. No idea why.

Mine just started doing this, radio would stay on after the door opened. Have to put the key in again to get it to shutoff.

I shot some silicone in the key slot and it cured it (for now, obviously it's getting worn). Try some lubricant in the key lock.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Has this battery drain problem ben solved?  I don't see any posts for a couple years.

We purchased a used (19000 mile) 2019 Ford Edge Titanium in October of 2019.  We love the car.  Friday morning we woke up to a dead battery.  We drive it most every day and has performed excellent.  No evidence anything had been left open, on or plugged in.  Battery read 5.5 volts.  Nothing came to life when I opened the door, all sorts of courtesy lights and dash lights usually spring to life.  I did notice a small red light flashing on the shifter knob but could see which light before it too went dead.

I charged the battery and all has worked perfectly since...although it has only been two days.  The Ford dealer offered to send a service truck over to jump start or tow the car to the dealer.  I declined this time, he seemed more than willing to give us a new battery.  My gut feel is, there is no issue with the battery...something drained it overnight and I am hoping to find out what.  Back in the day, a standard dash meter was an amp meter...this problem could sure use an amp meter to measure current flowing from the battery.  With all the Display options and sensors, I am surprised that useful piece of data isn't made available to the owner.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is bizarre.

I have a 2018 Ford Edge I bought in 2019 July. It has been perfect up until recently. 

In September 2020 it had an issue starting and the check engine light came on. Went to dealer and they determined it was most likely a coil issue. Flash forward to the last week of December 2020 I go to turn it on, press the brake and start button but nothing happened. My brake pedal didn't go all the way down and after 2 or 3 tries it turned on. Today I was cleaning my car and had the doors open for awhile. When my boyfriend went to turn the car on to run errands and the car wouldn't turn on. There was no amp meter that he was able to find so the guys just hooked it up to the roommates car and gave it a jump and let it sit for a few minutes. Turned on just fine after that and turned on while he did errands.

My issue is that this car is only 2 years old. WHY would I have issues with my battery already??

4 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

My issue is that this car is only 2 years old. WHY would I have issues with my battery already??

It is common nowadays for car batteries fail in 2-3 years, cars are full of electronics and rely on the battery a lot more than before. Since your Edge is a 2018, the battery is actually more than 2 years old. But, it should be covered under the vehicle's 3 year 36k Mile warranty. So if your still within the warranty period, have the dealer replace it for you.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, omar302 said:

It is common nowadays for car batteries fail in 2-3 years, cars are full of electronics and rely on the battery a lot more than before. Since your Edge is a 2018, the battery is actually more than 2 years old. But, it should be covered under the vehicle's 3 year 36k Mike warranty. So if your still within the warranty period, have the dealer replace it for you.

Yeah that was our consensus as well. Very frustrating but I do love it and I would rather deal with batteries and not a more serious issue. Thank you for the help.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 9:33 PM, Cat Lady said:

How you drive can affect battery charging. Short trips don't allow the current drained from starting to fully recharge the battery. 

Do you usually drive only a few miles when using the car?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have just started having issues with the battery now. I have 2013 Edge I picked up in i guess 2016ish. Put a battery in 2 years ago and this winter I got the battery saver message. Took it to Autozone and they gave me a new battery. that was 2 months ago. Today I get the same battery saver message. Took it to Autozone, they said battery low and checked charging system and said Alt OK. gave me a new battery. I want to get it checked so I don't kill anymore batteries but what I see here, there is no good answer for what it could be. I don't want to waste my time and money having dealers spin their wheels. I have been working from home the last year and get out a couple times a week for short commutes. Could be I'm not charging enough or maybe there is a draw that just got worse, i don't know. I have 2014 mustang that has a draw also but i hardley ever drive it in the winter so I know I have to charge it if I don't get in it for a couple weeks. Just got really cold here for the first time this winter. That may have contributed.

I guess maybe I should invest in a trickle charger for the Edge now?

whenever a new battery is installed, or when a drained battery is pulled to charge it externally, you need to reset the Battery Monitoring System.  If you don't, the PCM will direct the alternator to keep charging the battery at the low rate that worked for the old battery.

Turn engine off, unplug all accessories from the outlets, and make sure any aftermarket installed stuff is completely off.  Do not use the remotes either.  Let vehicle sit for 8+ hours in this manner, and the BMS should reset.

Or you can use Forscan to reset it.  Or have the dealer reset it.  If you change battery types from SLA to AGM for example, I believe you can update that info as well.

• 2 months later...

I have experienced a series of battery related issues since we purchased the vehicle which I attribute to a parasitic drain. I have had the vehicle checked four times at the Ford Service (Dealership) but they have been unable to determine the cause of the drain. This is the time line of the battery failures and what was done along with some comments:

5/15/2018: Purchase of vehicle

1/14/2019   Mileage 9327: Battery failure occurred in North Carolina.  The vehicle had not been driven for two days prior to the failure. AAA Road Service determined that the battery had failed. The battery was replaced by AAA Service as this occurred while we were out of state. I submitted a warranty claim to Ford Service with documentation. The claim was approved and I was reimbursed for the coast of the battery. I think the battery could have been jump started but we had a 625 mile trip ahead and I did not want to take a chance.

5/19/2020   Mileage 26,500 + Battery failure occurred while vehicle was in the garage.  The vehicle had not been driven in about 6 days prior to the failure. AAA Road Service was called. The Tech determined that the battery had failed and it was replaced at no additional charge as the battery was under AAA warranty. As the Tech was finishing up, I heard him comment that the battery may not have failed but only needed recharged.

6/3/2020   Mileage 26,581: The vehicle was check by Ford Service. No problems were detected. This was covered under warranty.

11/3/2020   Mileage 32,140: The battery failed in the garage. The vehicle had not been driven in two days. I had the vehicle towed by AAA Road Service to Ford Service where diagnostics were done but nothing was detected. The AAA Road Service jump started the vehicle to get it out of the garage so the system or failing part may have reset. (I should have had the vehicle put in neutral and not jump started it.)

4/8/2021   Mileage 35,960: The battery was in a failure mode but not completely drained. Vehicle was in the garage. Some accessories were powered but there was not enough cracking amps to start the vehicle. I jump started the vehicle and it operated okay. This failure occurred two days after we had completed a 700 mile drive. One would think the battery would have been fully charged. The vehicle was not driven the day before the failure.

4/14/2021 Mileage 36,097: Ford Service again tried to find the source of the battery drain was unable to find anything. Ford Service did indicate the CCA was 543 out of 600 and gave it "Yellow" rating. This battery was about 11 months old.

5/3/21 to 5/10/21 Mileage 36510: Ford Service kept the vehicle for 7 days but were not able to duplicate the failure and, therefore, not able to find the cause of the parasitic drain on the battery. They checked the alternator, the battery and the amp draw (50 ma) on the battery. All were okay.

Ford Service indicated they cannot find the cause of the drain unless the vehicle is in a failure mode. They suggested having the vehicle towed in when it fails and without (jump) restarting it. I am not real positive that they can even find it then but that may be my only option.

The Ford Service Rep did not think it was the Body Control Module.

I believe that Ford Service has made a good faith effort to find the cause of the battery drain. This intermittent type failure is not easy to diagnose.

I am pretty confident that no lights or accessories have been left on or doors open which could have contributed to the failures. I can see one battery being defective but not three.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Denise M said:

Hello.  Did you find a solution to this issue?

No I did not. Thanks for asking. The Ford Service (Dealer) wants me to have it towed in without restarting (there is a way to put the car in neutral (car manual) if the battery dies). I am not confident the Ford Service could find the cause even then. I have gotten a portable battery jump starter and have put the car/battery on a charger (when not in use) to try to maintain the battery. I am using a Cen-Tech Battery Charger. Use of the charger has only been less than a week. I have been physically turning off the radio, heat/cool and lights when we park the car (not sure this does any good). We also have tried to drive the car more. The Pandemic has reduced the amount of driving we do. If I find an answer, I will post it. This is a very difficult thing to diagnosis from all reports. Ford Service has made a good faith effort to find the cause but the Ford Motor Company has not provided a way to diagnosis this type of issue.   My goal is to try to get another year out of the Edge and then sell it or trade it.

On 1/1/2021 at 9:33 PM, Cat Lady said:

This is bizarre.

I have a 2018 Ford Edge I bought in 2019 July. It has been perfect up until recently. 

In September 2020 it had an issue starting and the check engine light came on. Went to dealer and they determined it was most likely a coil issue. Flash forward to the last week of December 2020 I go to turn it on, press the brake and start button but nothing happened. My brake pedal didn't go all the way down and after 2 or 3 tries it turned on. Today I was cleaning my car and had the doors open for awhile. When my boyfriend went to turn the car on to run errands and the car wouldn't turn on. There was no amp meter that he was able to find so the guys just hooked it up to the roommates car and gave it a jump and let it sit for a few minutes. Turned on just fine after that and turned on while he did errands.

Did you ever find the cause of the battery drain?

• 6 months later...

Forward to December 20, 2021, my AAA battery tested 247/600 during an oil change service. The replacement battery was installed on May 19, 2020. I have been using a battery tender, plugging it in almost every night. I have had no issues with starting since using the tender. I thought the tender would keep the battery charged. There is still a draw on the battery.  The battery drain has been a problem almost since the card was purchased on May 15, 2018. See prior post for history.