Valve train tick

mrgrouper

My 2012 Edge with the standard 3.5L engine makes mild ticking noise when fully warmed up. It has done this since day one. In fact if I let it idle for a while it seems to get louder. It's definately not injectors. It is a bit more noticeable from the right front wheel well. Anyone with the same noise and did you have any luck getting it fixed?

Thanks

I'm using 5w20 oil supplied by the dealer. The oil level is fine and does not drop between oil changes. I'm going to take it to the dealer in a couple of weeks but from everything I've read about Ford resolving engine noise issues, I'm not to optimistic they are going to fix the issue without dragging their feet.

Ok. Cam phaser noise MAY be related to this tapping noise. I have listened to some of the YouTube vids out there, not quite the same. Sounds more to me like the old rocker arm/lifter tapping sounds.

This may help: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/7693-ford-edge-engine-noise-getting-worse/

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I bought a used 2013 edge in March with 19000km on it and after about a month of having it I began to notice a humming noise from inside and when the hood is open it sounds like a ticking...and sort of like a lawnmower. I have taken the car in 5 times and have had the e-vap valve replaced twice and the last time I had the charcoal cylinder replaced and the lines flushed. I was told that the one valve makes some noise when it turns on but then once the cycle is finished it shuts off. They said I should barely hear it, and I shouldnt hear it inside the car. The noise is still there and seems to be louder when it is cooler outside. I dont know if this sound is normal or if I need to take it back yet again. It is rather annoying and just wanted a car with no problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Just listening to your noise makes me believe that it has a bad hydraulic lifter. It's a single tap every time that valve gets pushed. As far as I'm concerned it is not a normal noise. If you have an independent mechanic listen to it he will tell you the same. You can probably drive the car without any problem indefinitely. My 97 grand Cherokee had a bad lifter after 90,000 miles and when I sold it was still going strong at 165,000. Same tick tick, no louder or worse.

• 2 weeks later...

So took the Edge to the dealer for an oil change. The said, without even looking at the vehicle, that the ticking noise was inherent to the engine and was perfectly normal. I suppose I'll live with it.

JM

I noticed this shortly after I bought my 2011 with 32K miles last year. Took it to my local dealer, and they also told me that it was normal.

• 1 month later...

I have a edge 2011, i have the exact conditions and i also noticed the noise from the front wheel well the, i been in to the ford dealer three times now with the same answer its normal for this engine 3.5. But what is it making the noise all ok when cold soon as it warm up never goes away very load going through a drive thru ????

Edited by richard007

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have recently found out that the tapping noise after the engine warms up is the timing phaser, when the engine is at idle the locking pin which is worn so it taps because the oil is thin now, but once you get over 1,200 rpm the pin disengages all is ok no noise until you drop down the rpm.

Edited by richard007

Just do a Google and you will find cam phrase noise 3.5 and 5.4 f150 engines I know they are different but you will find others with the same problem I believe it a time and money thing with ford and it was 1,200 rpm If you doubt me please fill free to tell me what the noise is when it is hot and not cold Its not the chains and its not the tensioner not the lifters or injectors. ???

No, sounds like you have two noises mine you can her from the out side by the wheel well passenger side , a very heavy tapping not a ticking , as i said when it is cold its not there, if you suspected the noise write a letter to ford USA or Canada telling them of your concerns and tell them to fix the problem once you have a case # you can start to billed a case. the only difference is mine is still under extended warranty .

Edited by richard007
  • Like 1

I am pretty sure Ford would not entertain any complaints from me about my engine noise.

No, sounds like you have two noises mine you can her from the out side by the wheel well passenger side , a very heavy tapping not a ticking , as i said when it is cold its not there, if you suspected the noise write a letter to ford USA or Canada telling them of your concerns and tell them to fix the problem once you have a case # you can start to billed a case. the only difference is mine is still under extended warranty .

• 3 weeks later...