LOUD BANG while driving on freeway!

ls973800

This afternoon while driving on a freeway doing about 65 I heard a very loud BANG from the right side of the Edge, near the rear door or quarter panel area. My wife was dozing in the passenger seat and it was loud enough to wake her up. I thought something had hit the body, but there were no cars on that side of me at the time. I thought maybe I had run over something, but didn't see anything in the rear view mirror, and didn't feel anything through the tires.

I stopped several minutes later to check the body and was expecting to find a big dent or something because of the noise this made. I could not find anything! No dents, no scratches, no dings, nothing! I checked the wheel wells and saw no damage, and checked the wheels and saw nothing. All glass is good and the BAMR is still intact.

Tomorrow I am going to pull the wheels on the right side and check the suspension for anything broken. Springs, struts, sway bars, etc. Since nothing is damaged on the body, I can only think maybe some type of metal part snapped?

Anyone ever had something like this happen? 2013 Edge Limited, 12000 miles, 20" wheels and tires.

I found TSB 10-17-4 which has been superseded by 10-21-2. Does not conform to my problem, and I found nothing else for the transmission or gear range selector or sensor which would include the noise. Thanks anyhow.

TSB
10-21-2
  • 6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION - SLIP/NEUTRAL OUT, 5TH GEAR START FROM STOP, ELECTRONIC PRNDL ERROR, BACKUP CAMERA IN D - BUILT 3/13/2009-6/30/2010
Publication Date: October 18, 2010

FORD: 2009-2011 Taurus, Edge, Flex LINCOLN: 2009-2011 MKS, MKT, MKX

This article supersedes TSB 10-17-4 to update the vehicle model years and the production build date

I'll get the car jacked up tomorrow and take a good look underneath it. I have never heard a loud bang like this without actually seeing where something hit, or feeling something if I ran over it. I had worked in heavy industrial construction for over 40 years, and it sure sounded like the noise a large bolt makes when it snaps or breaks.

If I don't see anything underneath, I will just let it go as one of those things.

Thanks everyone.

I had the same thing happen twice. Once a rock or something put a big dent in a rear floorpan and another time a chunck of metal put a big hole in the gas tank of a Taurus. I actually got off the highway with the Taurus and made it to an Autozone. Picked up some of that putty, reached under and filled a marble sized hole. After filling their parking lot with gas, I drove another 200 miles to get home. Ended up having to order a new tank.

I got the Edge up on my ramps in the garage and everything looks OK underneath. No broken bolts, springs, shocks, etc. No dings or dents anywhere either so no evidence of anything having hit anywhere. Nothing leaking from the fuel tank, lines, etc.

I'll just forget about it since everything looks normal and it drives and handles the same as before the noise.

Thanks