Will There be a 2014 Model?

blankster

• 2 weeks later...

First rendering based off the leaked image of the 2015 Edge, plus info on the various models

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/10/future-cars-treading-new-territory-with.html

2016-Ford-Edge-Carscoops-%252523%25255B4

Not bad but I hope that it looks better than this, too much like other current cars and not enough like the Fusion, Focus and Fiesta styling

Edited by BeDevil79
  • Like 1

Interesting. There is more tie-in with body lines. Grill matches better with the wheels. The pillars flow out into the hood, would rather see a prominent bump like the SHO's have. Hopefully, interior space & ride height will not be compromised.

Would really like to see better struts on manual tailgates (if that is even offered).

"The new global SUV will be revealed to the world media at the 2013 LA Auto Show before going on sale almost globally by 2015. So why all the mystery about what the new world-wise five-seat crossover will be? It is the 2015 Edge, scheduled for display in LA as lightly dressed as a concept car before going on sale in Summer 2014 all over the world."

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/2015-ford-edgebuzz-grows-ahead-of-la-debut-and-global-sales-ar160754.html

Thanks for everyone adding to this thread. Great post BeDevil79. I'm going to buy a new Edge at some point. I'm a little disappointed in the new generation but I need to see the new crossover in person to fully evaluate.

Edgieguy, I don't have enough posts to reply to your private message. What you were told about the Lemon Law is correct. I'm paying the same amount per mile as you were quoted. Taking the replacement car will be msrp for msrp plus they pay the taxes and title transfer. If you take the cash they are done. If you take the replacement you order a 2014 and do not pay any more usage for miles and you drive the car until your new one arrives. Best of luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like 2014 Edge will be a short run. The Oakville plant looks to be closed the week of 3/10/14 forward. I suspect retooling for the 2015.

You do realize they also make the MKX, MKT and Flex at Oakville, right? Do they really have to close the entire plant to retool for one vehicle? Seems counterintuitive to the notion of a flexible assembly plant.

Looks like 2014 Edge will be a short run. The Oakville plant looks to be closed the week of 3/10/14 forward. I suspect retooling for the 2015.

They don't close plants to retool anymore. Even the original Edge was added to the Oakville plant while they were still building Freestars. They just mixed them together down the same line.

Only when they completely gut and rebuild the plant do they close it down - like they did at Louisville for the Escape and at Michigan Assembly for the Focus. But in both of those cases they were converting fro a large body-on-frame truck assembly line to a FWD unibody line.

Edited by Waldo

Blankster - Thanks for starting this thread. :) Can you fill in any "xx" below? In my opinion, because the 2nd generation Ford Edge is going to be a global release, one Ford y'all, the global release date for a new generation Edge is more complex and the 2014 was adjusted with the 2015 release target date in mind. I may be wrong. From some insiders, "In the United States, the new Edge is expected to go on sale in spring 2015"

Blankster ORIGINAL information:

11/11/11 Edge 2013 Order Acceptance

11/14/11 Edge 2013 Production Scheduling Begins

01/12/12 Edge 2013 Production Start up

02/15/12 Edge 2013 Final Orders Due

[03/13 Edge 2013 hits the showrooms]

08/23/13 Edge 2013 Final Order Due Date

08/30/13 Edge 2014 Order Acceptance

10/17/13 Edge 2014 Production Scheduling Begins

11/18/13 Edge 2014 Production Start up

11/11/12 [projected] Edge 2014 Order Acceptance (12 months after the 2013 Edge order acceptance date)

08/30/13 [real] Edge 2014 Order Acceptance

xx/xx/14 Edge 2014 Production Scheduling Begins

xx/xx/14 Edge 2014 Production Start up

08/30/14 [projected] Edge 2015 Order Acceptance (12 months after the 2014 Edge order acceptance date)

Also some great new information, videos, and images of the 2015 Ford Edge (concept) from Los Angeles, CA, USA. LA Video: Technology Packed – 2015 Ford Edge Concept: http://www.tflcar.com/2013/11/la-video-technology-packed-2015-ford-edge-concept/ OR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q6C7YjV6YE

Not sure how much of the concept will make it into production.

Some of what I noticed on the concept:

Frameless door glass (probably just for the concept)

Integrated door handles

LED headlamp/tail lamp

Turn signals that are part of the chrome (also the fog light appear to have chrome to LED technology too)

Cool, clean interior

10" touch screen

More knobs to aid touch screen

Air curtain for the wheel opening for aerodynamics (According to BMW, 30% of vehicle drag is from the wheels and wheel openings. The inlet around the fog lights appear to be for the air curtain. The Ford Atlas uses active shutter on the rims and BMW uses rims designed to reduce this drag.)

Active grill shudder (carryover from 1 generation Edge but appear to be more integrated shutters)

Adaptive steering

Auto stop/start for fuel efficiency

Self park in or out of vehicle (I'm not a big fan)

Steer and brake collision avoidance system (car brakes or turns automatically) probably just on concept

Also, funny how the Los Angeles Ford Edge concept was the same color as BoDevil79 post (CarScoops, Josh rendering).

2015 Ford Edge is similar to 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe, I think not. I feel bad for even thinking this when I first seen images of the 2nd generation Ford Edge.

Edited by JimPA

BeachMomof2 - I haven't heard of the gas mileage of the 2.3L EcoBoost. I have to believe with all the aerodynamic and start/stop updates to the 2015 Edge, the mileage has to be better than the 2014. Hopefully much better. From what I read, unofficially no V6 in the 2015 Edge. Did you replace your 03 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 yet?

They don't close plants to retool anymore. Even the original Edge was added to the Oakville plant while they were still building Freestars. They just mixed them together down the same line.

Only when they completely gut and rebuild the plant do they close it down - like they did at Louisville for the Escape and at Michigan Assembly for the Focus. But in both of those cases they were converting fro a large body-on-frame truck assembly line to a FWD unibody line.

Check the link (page 2), Oakville is indicated as closed the week of 3/10 forward:

http://www.donlen.com/pdf/ProductionSched.pdf

Ford appears to be investing some $700M in the plant to produce "several new models". Maybe the shutdown is part of that.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ford-invests-700m-in-oakville-ont-assembly-plant-1.1860193

Edited by blankster
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...