Synthetic oil required?

mmmfloorpie

My sister has a 2012 Edge with the 3.5 V6 and I was driving her car this weekened and noticed a "next service due:" sticker on her windshield from a local private shop. When I expressed my dismay that she didn't take it to Ford she said that this place charged her $120 for an oil change because they said the car uses synthetic oil.

When I heard that I thought to myself "huh?". In my brain the 3.5L is the "workhorse" of the Ford lineup and is the standard engine in most of their larger vehicles. Why would it require synthetic oil? Made no sense to me. I wasn't 100% sure but I told her that the Ford dealer probably would have just filled it with their standard 5w20 bulk oil that they put in everything.

I just looked it up in the manual today and sure enough it just says to fill it with Motorcraft 5w20. So why would this garage tell her it took synthetic? Add to that, when I looked at the tag it said next service due at 29000kms. Her car only had 249xx kms on it at the time. So they used synthetic and they want her to bring it back in at only 5000kms intervals???

She could have gotten the typical lube/oil/filter/multi point inspection at Ford like I do for only $36.

It looks to me like this garage is just trying to make money off her.

Thoughts?

My sister has a 2012 Edge with the 3.5 V6 and I was driving her car this weekened and noticed a "next service due:" sticker on her windshield from a local private shop. When I expressed my dismay that she didn't take it to Ford she said that this place charged her $120 for an oil change because they said the car uses synthetic oil.

When I heard that I thought to myself "huh?". In my brain the 3.5L is the "workhorse" of the Ford lineup and is the standard engine in most of their larger vehicles. Why would it require synthetic oil? Made no sense to me. I wasn't 100% sure but I told her that the Ford dealer probably would have just filled it with their standard 5w20 bulk oil that they put in everything.

I just looked it up in the manual today and sure enough it just says to fill it with Motorcraft 5w20. So why would this garage tell her it took synthetic? Add to that, when I looked at the tag it said next service due at 29000kms. Her car only had 249xx kms on it at the time. So they used synthetic and they want her to bring it back in at only 5000kms intervals???

She could have gotten the typical lube/oil/filter/multi point inspection at Ford like I do for only $36.

It looks to me like this garage is just trying to make money off her.

Thoughts?

They told her this because they read her character and could easily tell she knew nothing about what they were telling her. This is classical in the automotive industry. They saw her coming and they took her to the cleaners. I use full synthetic in my edge, 5w20 but I do it myself.. I use Mobil 1 and generally use a K&N oil filter and spend about 50$ to do it.. I do it myself.

They told her this because they read her character and could easily tell she knew nothing about what they were telling her. This is classical in the automotive industry. They saw her coming and they took her to the cleaners. I use full synthetic in my edge, 5w20 but I do it myself.. I use Mobil 1 and generally use a K&N oil filter and spend about 50$ to do it.. I do it myself.

Well, I didn't ask, but I think she actually had her husband take it in... So I might have to dig into it a little deeper, lol.

LOL -- Pull his man card if so!

LOL definitely!! Shop definitely went balls deep on that one.... :doh: Gotta love when shops give honest techs (like myself) a bad name

And $120 WTF did they use, Amsoil?? 5 qt jug + 1 additional quart of Mobil 1 that I use is $30 at wally world + $10 for a Wix filter. Sorry but... y'all got hosed BIG time!

LOL definitely!! Shop definitely went balls deep on that one.... :doh: Gotta love when shops give honest techs (like myself) a bad name

And $120 WTF did they use, Amsoil?? 5 qt jug + 1 additional quart of Mobil 1 that I use is $30 at wally world + $10 for a Wix filter. Sorry but... y'all got hosed BIG time!

Honestly, people usually bash dealers, but the one my family has been dealing with for the past 15 or so years has actually turned out to be more honest than the "corner" shops.

Honestly, people usually bash dealers, but the one my family has been dealing with for the past 15 or so years has actually turned out to be more honest than the "corner" shops.

Dealerships tend to be honest.. At least more so than the corner shops.. Those corner shops are competing with dealerships. A dealership makes there profit off of Parts/Service.. The other 10% of sales comes from Cars!!

When you find a good dealership. Don't ever leave them!

On my US model 2013 Edge Ford calls for nothing less then Premium Synthetic Blend 5W20 6.0 Quarts,My 2011 Ranger was the same.Are the Canadian models not the same? Even with the synthetic blend my dealer only charged me 39 Dollars. I priced it out to do it myself I would only save a few bucks so to the dealer it goes.

Edited by tazmanken

A good synthetic is great. But can only be economically justified if you go with extended drain schedules or encounter unusual cold running conditions. It is even nice to use if you have a turbo, etc. But most oil change places tend to overcharge for the pleasure of going synthetic. But $120.00; that has got to be a record.

Page 341 of my 2013 US Edge says to use synthetic blend or full synthetic. For Canadian models it says Super Premium Motor Oil or synthetic motor oil. I have not been able to find if the Super Premium oil is a synthetic blend or not. Ford part number CXO-5W20-LFS12 (Canada).

The oil change place may have been correct in saying it needed synthetic oil (if they didn't have the Super Premium) in stock. However, the price charged seems extremely excessive for just an oil and filter change using synthetic.

Not sure what Ford put in mine, but I can only assume the recommended oil, and replaced my sticker that told me to come back in 5k miles. I usually get it done at a local Meineke, since the guys there are great, and for $20, I can't imagine they use synthetic, but I do every 3k for that. Anyone able to enlighten me?

In Canada Ford uses the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend, nothing out of the usual. Not $120 worth that's for sure.

I JUST had mine serviced at the Dealer. I think it was $35 for a #2 service + shop supplies and taxes. The total was less than normal because I provided my own Mobile 1 5w20. (6 quarts = 1 big jug + 1 additional quart). Like mentioned above, this can be had from US Walmart for as little as $30.

And I service mine every 6 months regardless of mileage.

Edited by cwatkins

I am using ...

RAVENOL SFE 5W-20 is a fully synthetic fuel-efficient low friction multi-range engine oil on the basis of Poly-a-Olefin with the latest additive technology. A formulation with a special balanced additive package supplies a safe lubrication under all possible driving conditions.

...it's the only 5W-20 oil I easily get in Germany.

$64 for (6 quarts = 1 big jug + 1 additional quart)

In Canada Ford uses the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend, nothing out of the usual. Not $120 worth that's for sure.

I JUST had mine serviced at the Dealer. I think it was $35 for a #2 service + shop supplies and taxes. The total was less than normal because I provided my own Mobile 1 5w20. (6 quarts = 1 big jug + 1 additional quart). Like mentioned above, this can be had from US Walmart for as little as $30.

And I service mine every 6 months regardless of mileage.

We did that with the trucks where I work and in the summer the 8 ton trucks would sit all summer but still get new oil and filter every 3 months, I get my Edge done every 5,000 miles at my local dealer,total would be 39 bucks with Synthetic blend

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that using synthetic oil allows a person to extend the oil change interval, which is a time saver for me. I just had a Ford dealer put in full synthetic on the last oil change. I normally use full synthetic. The window sticker they applied afterwards has a reminder for 5,000 miles or two months, which ever is sooner. When I asked why should I change full synthetic oil in two months, the answer was that all oil needs frequent changes to maintain performance. I then asked about the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor™ (IOLM)/Oil Monitor System (OMS) in my car and the service manager told me to not trust it and that frequent oil changes would make my car last longer. So, I had to ask what other owner's manual recommendations and techology should I ignore on my car, like the BLIS, and battery or tire pressure monitoring systems; and he just laughed. Yeah, I won't be going back to that place.

So far, three out of three dealer service departments that I've used in my area have all recommended much shorter oil change intervals than the manufacturer, even with full synthetic. One dealer recommends monthly service!? I can see one advantage to having a vehicle in for more frequent service; because it should get inspected by someone as part of the service checks (or should be anyway). While I'm pretty anal about preventative maintenance, there are some people that might not check their vehicle regularly, or at all; so a trip to the service department might identify some required maintenance before it becomes a more expensive repair.

Aside from my own frequent oil level checks, the 2011 Ford Edge has an intelligent oil life monitoring system that "uses actual engine and vehicle operating conditions to more precisely calculate anticipated service intervals," which, under normal driving conditions, could mean up to a 10,000 mile oil change interval. This means that the oil change interval will vary depending on the driving conditions.

The 2011 Ford Edge Owners manual, page 377, states:

"For your convenience, your vehicle is equipped with a message center
which determines the proper oil change service interval. You should
perform the engine oil change as indicated by the message center. The
message center will display ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON or OIL
CHANGE REQUIRED to indicate when an oil change is needed. The
engine oil change service needs to be completed within two weeks or
500 miles (800 km) after the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message is
displayed. Your oil change service interval can be up to one year or
10,000 miles (16,000 km). Reset your Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ after
each engine oil and filter change; refer to the Instrument Clusterchapter.
If your message center is prematurely reset or becomes inoperative, you
should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5,000 miles (8,000 km)
from your last oil change."

Here's some more information on this topic:

2011 Ford Edge How-To and Info Videos: Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor™ (IOLM)/Oil Monitor System (OMS)

Edmunds.com:

Edited by netizenX

The Dealer I go to uses synthetic blend and the sticker in the window says next oil change in 5,000 miles and that's all it says,so I get it changed every 5,000 miles. I have been told by a few dealers Ford and Chevy,its the same for full synthetic and synthetic blend, it should be changed every 5,000 miles, synthetic and synthetic blend oils tend to collect moisture that's why they say to change them every 5,000 miles.

The Dealer I go to uses synthetic blend and the sticker in the window says next oil change in 5,000 miles and that's all it says,so I get it changed every 5,000 miles. I have been told by a few dealers Ford and Chevy,its the same for full synthetic and synthetic blend, it should be changed every 5,000 miles, synthetic and synthetic blend oils tend to collect moisture that's why they say to change them every 5,000 miles.

Have you ever been told that by someone who wasn't trying to sell you an oil change?

Go by the oil monitor in your car. Ford engineers spent a lot of time developing and testing it. Dealers just want your money.

Have you ever been told that by someone who wasn't trying to sell you an oil change?

Go by the oil monitor in your car. Ford engineers spent a lot of time developing and testing it. Dealers just want your money.

I do look at the oil monitor and its just about right with the 5,000 miles I go between oil changes. What I was getting at is most dealers tell you to change it every 3,000 miles and to me thats a waste of money when you run synthetic blend or full synthetic. It also depends on how and where you drive. Yes they are out to make money

• 1 year later...

wow I just finished reading through this thread and I cannot believe how inexpensive oil changes are on the west coast and the US. I don't go to my Ford dealership except for warranty work. I have a 2008 Mustang Bullitt takes 5.7 Litres 5w20 like the 2014 edge we have. At the dealership they charge $109.99. I can get Penzoil or mobil one at Canadian Tire or parts source when on sale for $39-45 depending on the sale. I will change it my self but if the oil is due in winter I go to the 10minute penzoil change and they charge $34.99 to change the oil wit hmy oil and filter which works out to $75 or more. I wish we had a place around here that would do an oil change for the price you guys are paying. With my Bullitt I change it every 6 months or 8,000 km. With the edge I am going to rely on the on board computer, right now we have 3100km and change and the computer says 83% left so with the average at 4,000km per 20% oil wear it should last 20,000km? sounds a bit long of an interval but I will keep an eye on the level and would not go more than 10,000km or 6 months. A buddy of mine has a 2013 BMW 328 and his first oil change was at 16,000km dealer said thats normal? Wow I am old school and would always go 3 months or 5,000km. Time have changed but so have the prices and quality of the oil and engine.

My mom gave me a 1998 Ford Contour about 5 years ago that had only 10,500 miles on it. When I got it home I found receipts for 20 oil changes at over $100 per change. They were changing the oil at 6 month intervals using synthetic. Well, the engine was really like new.

I use synthetic in my 2007 edge. I do it myself.

• Like 1

I've been using MC synthetic Blend in my 07 Edge (which has almost 100000) on it since I got it with 10k. It costs about $25 at Walmart including including Fram oil filter when I do it myself, 5 1/2 qts. I change it every 6k miles as it's mostly highway miles from commute. PaulSchott, what synthetic are you using and at what interval are you changing it? I'm thinking of going to full synthetic (Mobill 1?) since I'm getting up there in miles. Anyone have a synthetic they recommend?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I only have the Edge a few months. First oil change. I'm looking at a 7,000 mile interval. I don't like using an oil filter longer than that. I already have about 3,000 miles on it since the original oil change. I'm using Mobile 1 The car has 84,000 miles on it now. It had 81 when I got it.

Edited by PaulSchott
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...