**MAJOR FLAW** Digital THERMOMETER is not measuring accurately!!!!

Hey guys, it could be worse. My 2000 F150 has the outside temp gauge too, but it is usually about 10 degrees too warm. According to a couple different dealerships it seems the brilliant engineers put it too close to the engine and it gets extra heat from that. :banghead:

And yes, my Edge is high like everyone else's, but to be high by a 1 or 2 degrees I'm extremely happy with that. :hyper:

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, it could be worse. My 2000 F150 has the outside temp gauge too, but it is usually about 10 degrees too warm. According to a couple different dealerships it seems the brilliant engineers put it too close to the engine and it gets extra heat from that. :banghead:

And yes, my Edge is high like everyone else's, but to be high by a 1 or 2 degrees I'm extremely happy with that. :hyper:

I agree that the thermometer shoul be accurate.

This is a safety issue!

When you get that close to freezing it should be a warning for black ice or freezing rain.

I know you should be cautious but an accurate thermometer is another aid.

• 2 months later...
:banghead:

WOW! I am PISSED! I recently checked the outside temperature the old fashoined way..comparing the car thermometer to an outside office building display thermometer and came up with a 4 degree difference! DING DING DING! You should NEVER get that big of a difference of temperature!

SO....I checked the temperature starting with a local TV station time/temp phone number. SURE ENOUGH, over 4 degrees that it was not the same.... My wife has a Honda with a inside temperature readout. We drove down the road and checked the temperature on that and then took the Edge on the same trip...SURE ENOUGH! It is NOT right!. This makes the outside temperature from the Edge look warmer than it actually is!!!!!! WHAT A SCAM! What can I do about this?

Check yours and report back...maybe it is just mine that is MESSED UP! :redcard: Man, am I MAD!

Wow, I can't see getting this upset about this, sure a little ticked off, but can't you just adjust in your mind 4 degrees and shrug it off? It's not like it's randomly incorrect.

I think a lot of things would affect temperature also. Whether you're driving at the time, in the sun, shade, where the office building's thermometer is (Not usually the BIG WHITE NUMBERS you see displayed), etc. In fact, the phone TV station temperature thing you called could be giving you a reading from the airport, 5 miles away....

If that's all that's wrong with my EDGE I'll be a happy customer!

Okay Good-Hands old buddy let me tell you what to do about that Thermometer. The sensor located on the rear cargo hatch is called an Auto Vib Transducer. The thermometer gets a reading from the AVT and multiplies it by 32, then ands 16, then dived's it by 12, that number is sent to the computer and transposed into a degree. That degree has an algorithm that changes it up and down as the temp changes. If your bass is to high on your radio the AVT can change as much as 4 degrees depending on what side of the Mason Dixon Line you are on and what magnetic deviation you have set the compass to, hence causing a miss calculation in the actual temperature of your Read out.

The appropriate fix according to FORD is to realign your dash with Magnetic North, then have all four tires balanced and reposition the AVT so that the license plate doesn't interfere with the Cargo Lift option and then you must drive the Edge in circles to recalibrate the magnetic north output and turn the radio all the way up to it's maximum setting then back down to Minimum then off. This all must be done in 18 seconds of each procedure or you will have to start over until you get it right.

Based on my vast experience with CAR repair, I can assure you that this will cure the problem. If you run into trouble call me and I will help you out.

I also have a gnarly set of tools because my DAD is a TV repair man, and I can fix it!

Good Luck Mr Hand we are all counting on you.

• 9 years later...

I know bumping this thread will probably cause a lot of jokes but my thermometer is way off. I think the megacyclone we just had threw it for a loop. This morning it was below freezing and the temp read 50 degrees the entire ride to work. Then I just took it for a ride...it's 45 degrees here today and the temp read 90 degrees when I got in and as I drove it lowered to around 73. I think the higher temp reading affects what vents come on when I use auto start. Had a sheet of ice on my windows this morning and the defrost didn't melt it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by Mirage52