2011 Mkx Hum/Whine

teknowiz

My Mkx recently started having an issue with an hum/whine when going from idle around 40 KM/h to about 60 Km/h. Issue seems to be intermittent and most frequently occurring on more frequently when road is on a inclines but also sometimes when flat. Can't pin point source of the noise but sounds like it’s from engine or transmission. Car's acceleration rate slightly degrades during noise and picks back up again. Attached is a sample audio of the sound in question taken from my cell phone placed on the dashboard with all windows up. Sound in question is around 9 second mark of the audio. Sorry for the poor quality since it was from a cell phone mic.

Prevision similar thread seem to indicate possible AC compressor for fuel pump issue.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/10637-engine-humstraining-noise-with-ac-on/

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/3664-high-pitch-whine/page-2

Would really appreciate some feedback on what could be causing the sound before I take it to the dealership since they might not be able to easily reproduce it.

2011 Mkx Whine.mp3

Do you have an AWD or FWD? Any leaks? Low on transmission fluid? Those'd be the first things to check. I have heard the fuel pump whine, and that is a headache-inducing frequency. Doesn't seem to be the case here.

Don't think it is a wheel bearing going bad, though the noise level does vary with speed.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOBMKX/~MUS~LEN/41/11mkxog2e.pdf

Owner Guide for 2011 MKX

Pg 292 shows you dipstick location, Pg 319 shows you procedure for checking. Basically run the engine until warmed up, then check the dipstick reading.

Could also be in need of a PCM programming update/flash.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

It sounds like something may be loose in the engine compartment. You say it happens at certain speeds, but what about at a certain RPM?

I would try parking on level ground, putting the car in neutral and very slowly revving up the engine to 3k or 4k RPM to see if you can reproduce the noise. Whatever is in your engine compartment has chosen a critical frequency to start resonating at. Open the hood and have a friend walk around it to see if you can pinpoint the noise, while maintaining the engine speed that seems to be causing the noise.

It may be that the last time you went in for an oil change, the technician loosened something and forgot to tighten it back up.

Good luck.

Edited by autom8r

Checked transmission fluid, it seems ok. Tried revving the engine while on neutral and it did not make the sound.

Attached is another audio of the sound (around 12 sec mark) which bit clearer then the previous one. Taking car into dealership tomorrow to see what they diagnose the issue as, hopefully they can reprocude the issue and resolve it.

2011 Mkx Whine 2.mp3

Edited by teknowiz

What kind of insulation are they going to wrap around it ? Never heard of anything being done like that before. My concern would be, if this is what has to be done to correct the problem, why wasn't the car originally built this way. They are not resolving your original problem, they are just putting a BIG Band-Aid on it ! :shrug: From what you described, to me, it sounds that there is a problem with the exhaust system, possibly it should be replaced ???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You mentioned before that power seems to drop off a little during these episodes. Is that still true? Do you feel any vibration or notice anything else unusual at that time? Is the climate control on during that time? It almost sounds like a groan or something flexing bending. Hit any potholes hard enough to bend wheels?

Check the intake. Have you changed anything in that area or had it recently serviced? Something may not be bolted down tightly enough.

Driving next to concrete barriers/Jersey walls will greatly amplify any sound coming off your vehicle from the outside. If you have a spot where you can make some test runs and plant a camera nearby, that might help.

You mentioned before that power seems to drop off a little during these episodes. Is that still true? Do you feel any vibration or notice anything else unusual at that time? Is the climate control on during that time? It almost sounds like a groan or something flexing bending. Hit any potholes hard enough to bend wheels?

Check the intake. Have you changed anything in that area or had it recently serviced? Something may not be bolted down tightly enough.

Driving next to concrete barriers/Jersey walls will greatly amplify any sound coming off your vehicle from the outside. If you have a spot where you can make some test runs and plant a camera nearby, that might help.

Thanks for the suggestions. The power drop off is not consistent so it might be the transmission just shifted gear. No noticeable vibrations and issue happens regardless of climate control being on or off. Don't think its a bent rim since that would most likely make noise constantly. As for the intake, I did replace air filter recently so I will definitely check that.

• 6 months later...

Hard for me too hear the noiseon the audio clip. But these noises are annoying. Always hard to replicate and narrow down. If you ever find it. . Tell us.

Still haven't found the cause and dealerhip can't replcate it every time I bring it up. Seems to be happening less now in the Winter or maybe I am just not hearing it.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...