OEM Ford wiring trailer harness question

• 9 months later...

I'm sure you've got your answer already, but I installed an OEM wiring harness on my 2007 Edge SEL yesterday, and it is not plug and play at all. I ordered it from one of the local dealerships, but am wishing I just paid someone to install it so I didn't have to spend all afternoon on it!

• 3 months later...

After talking with others - decided to purchase the following for my 2013 Edge Sport - Sport Edition.

Draw-Tite hitch : 75728 http://www.draw-tite.com/products/trailer-hitches/class-iii-iv-receiver/max-frame-receiver/WfzaCtfZMf0hoaEk3ihHPWnN4e5wZheQ

TowReady Wiring Harness : 118515 http://www.towready.com/products/electrical-wiring/t-one-connector/t-one-connector/!FQHI%7CfPlghJZkcriTmM5FXhqK9nsyCJd1fLu0zmAI4=

Once I get them installed - will post pictures and comments about the installation process

• Like 1

After talking with others - decided to purchase the following for my 2013 Edge Sport - Sport Edition.

Draw-Tite hitch : 75728 http://www.draw-tite.com/products/trailer-hitches/class-iii-iv-receiver/max-frame-receiver/WfzaCtfZMf0hoaEk3ihHPWnN4e5wZheQ

TowReady Wiring Harness : 118515 http://www.towready.com/products/electrical-wiring/t-one-connector/t-one-connector/!FQHI%7CfPlghJZkcriTmM5FXhqK9nsyCJd1fLu0zmAI4=

Once I get them installed - will post pictures and comments about the installation process

Got the parts in last night.

The hitch was quite easy to install - did it myself. In the comfort of my own garage - without a lift or raising the vehicle.

Read the instructions and watched the youtube video from etrailers.com for this hitch. It really is that simple.

It is much easier to work - with the exhaust disconnected from the rubber mount points. I did put a bungie cord in the same location as in the video - which provided "some" assistance once the last rubber mount was disconnected. Let the exhaust down to the ground and continued to work.

The trimming of the heat shields is exactly like they describe in the video/document. Very simple !!!

To get the hitch up to the bolts - did use a stiff cardboard box as a lift on one side - to get the hitch "close" to the bolts on one side - while I got the lock washers and nuts on the other side. Once 1 side was attached - easy to lift and attach the other side. Before tightening down - did a small left-right check/adjustment to center the hitch.

Then proceeded to lock down the nuts - put the exhaust back in place - and decided to take this opportunity to polish up the chrome exhaust tips. My wife was giving me grief for not polishing the Edges (her vehicle) like I do on my 11 Vette. So - did the right thing and got them all shiny.....

Now to work on the wiring harness. Unfortunately, the kit is missing 3 pieces - one of which is the main component - the module that controls the signals. Now I am waiting on the seller to ship me the missing parts. Will post more once the parts arrive.

Will get a few pictures posted later as well.

• Like 1

Ok - got the wiring harness in and installed today.

A couple of recommendations.

In the rear cargo area - changed the route of the cables a bit - as compared to the route suggested in the

youtube video :

The drivers side wiring was easy - there is plenty of room to reach up through the body and push the wiring through the hole in the tail light area.

Decided to route the cables for the passenger side connection through the body panel along the back of the cargo area - rather than having the cables in side the cargo area. See the driver side pictures.

The passenger side for a Sport - is much more difficult - IF you try to use the path in the furthest away from the tail light. This route takes the wiring next to the speaker assembly and that is very tight - found it almost impossible. If you route the cables through the opening closest to the tail light - the wiring goes through the body assembly and is VERY easy - with lots of room. See the passenger side pictures for the location at the bottom of the back panel on the passenger side.

Chose to put some silicon sealer in the cut area of the rubber grommets in the tail lights - to provide some additional protection against moisture.

Chose to route the power wire on the under side versus through the cabin.

Not a difficult task - just takes time crawling under the Edge several times making sure to route the line away from areas that have heat and movement.

Routed the wire up the driver side and up into the engine cable near what looks like brake lines. Once in the engine compartment - the rest of the install is quite simple.

Decided to leave the fuse OUT of the wiring harness while we are not towing anything - to reduce any chance of draining the battery,

Edited by MrKState