Collinite 845 lack of lustre

I tried the Collinite 845 insulator wax this morning and I must say I was not impressed.

I have a 2013 SEL and it's metallic tuxedo black. I only applied it to the hood. It actually looked better before I waxed.

I warmed the wax as suggested and did about 1/4 of the hood at a time waiting for it to start to haze and then buffed it off by hand.

Has anyone used it on metallic black with better results?

I don't know what to tell you. All I can say is you should never count on a wax to improve the look of the paint. Only polishing will do that. 845 needs to go on thinly and it will last a long time. I like the look it gives, but since I've gone to coatings, I haven't used it in a long time.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did my deep impact blue 2013 last night with 845 and it looks and feels awesome.

I had my Edge waxed by a detailer when I first got it back in March so I didn't need to wax it till now. I washed and then clayed, then waxed by hand with a very thin coat, it went on and came off very easy. The wife loves the way it came out.

Maybe I just put it on too thick and didn't get all of it off.

I'll be waxing the rest of the vehicle. I'll go easy on the application and see what that does.

Before I decided to order Collinite 845, I read many posts on some of the detailing forums. Here is a link to an excellent article of how to properly use this wax. I think you will be surprised by how little you really should use, as shown in some of the pictures with the product on the pad and the car. I haven't done mine yet because of the heat and humidity here in Dallas right now.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I have used #845 on other vehicles and it works amazing, with LONG Lasting results.

Got a bottle years ago from father who retired from FORD, they possibly use these on the vehicles before leaving the MFG.

Also, I have heard about - Pinnacle sourveran ( not sure if this is any good, but much more expensive )

Often between washes I use ( wizard products - mist-n-shine or spray-wax ) easy to use no powder residue safe on everything

• 2 weeks later...

Souveran is meant more for garage queens. It won't take the weather. 845 (or even better, 915), on the other hand, won't provide that lustre that Souveran does, but it is a workhorse where protection & durability are desired.

Not entirely true. I put Souveran on my 1994 Maxima during a Chicago Winter and it held up well layered on top of the Klasse. The shine survived the salt, snow, and slush of that winter.

My 845 application is lasting waaaay longer than I ever anticipated. In the early fall I machine applied two light coats on the Edge and after an absolutely horrendous winter its held up unbelievably. This is only the second time Im using 845 on the car after an initial polish. The paint is still super slick so I didnt bother stripping everything down, I'll wait til this summer to do that, maybe the problems arise when its applied to thick?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...