Ford sued over MFT

I am not referring to reboots or lags...that I could deal with so long as the system does respond. What I was promised was a handsfree phone system but what I have is spotty at best. I have emails from Ford telling me to stop using phones because they thought it contributed to the issues, along with subsequent emails were I confirmed it did nothing to help stability. To which I was told wait for the next update. I was also promised a functional nav system; this too is hit and miss. Even when it can locate me with reasonable accuracy its routing is often incorrect. Also promised was voice recognition, this almost never works. Though I think most of mine may be due to a bad mic but I can't get Ford to do anything about it since they always fall on the crutch that it is software and I need to wait for the next revision to fix it. I was also told I would have a functional HVAC system, which I was left without for several weeks our first winter.

wlepse, honestly man, it is just your unit (and yes there may be a small, very small, minority out there like you), but that is probably the worst I have ever heard or read. I would sit in my local Ford dealer, right in the middle of the lobby, until they replaced every sync or MFT related part in the car (GPS antenna, microphone, APIM and all other parts, climate control buttons, literally everything), or gave me a new car. I have had my fair share of annoyances with the system, but no where near your level of issues.

To me, again, this proves Akirby's point though. Your problems are in the vast MINORITY of the SYNC/MFT problems, not majority, which does not warrant a class action lawsuit. It MAY warrant a personal lawsuit on your part to the dealer and Ford, but that is stretching it too in my book.

In the end we will probably never agree and while I will say my experiece may be worse than the majority I still think there are a lot of people that continue to have issues and not just annoyances. I think Fords own actions prove this to be true. It has to be costing them a fortune to do all these upgrades and I think if there were only a handful of us they would buy them back...cheaper...easier.

I still think there are a lot of people that continue to have issues and not just annoyances. I think Fords own actions prove this to be true. It has to be costing them a fortune to do all these upgrades and I think if there were only a handful of us they would buy them back...cheaper...easier.

Your problems are no different than someone having engine/pcm problems where the problem can't easily be diagnosed. If this type of problem was inherent in most MFT vehicles then we would be hearing about them just like we did when the 11 Edge debuted MFT.

You can bitch and whine all you want about YOUR vehicle. That's perfectly valid and nobody can argue with what you're experiencing. But when you try and extrapolate that to all other vehicles especially when ALL of the other evidence points to the contrary that's just ridiculous.

If your engine kept dying and Ford couldn't figure out why and then later they figure it out and publish a TSB that involves a PCM code update that fixes it - would you go around yelling that Ford deceived you because they advertised a car that would run without stalling? And would you make that claim based on the fact that they publish code updates? Of course not, so stop doing it here.

It's getting tiresome.

• Like 1

The MFT has been a thorn in the side of Ford since it's inception. It is this system that has eliminated the Edge from being a Consumer's Choice in the Consumer Reports magazine as well. I just watched a shoe called "Autoline Detroit: where they had the design enegineers on talking about where these touch screen systems are going for the future. The #1 system is the "Uconnect" found in the Chrysler products per the show and I have had the opportunity to use this system. It is very easy to use and does not require changing screens over and over to make changes to the heat, audio and nav. The MFT is very confusing and can be a major distraction while driving despite the steering wheel controls. My niece and her husband bought a new 2012 MKX and after one year they got ride of it mainly because of the MFT. It was buggy and the fact that they had to constantly change screens to access the features was a nightmare. My niece was actully having to stop to nake heater changes in the winter as she was too distracted.

The Ford engineer indicated that they were in the process of revising the system and that it would be much better in the future. Last week my wife and I test drove a new 2013 Edge with the Sync & MFT and we found it to be confusing and would prefer the old btton type functions as well. Don't get me wrong I love the new technology but the MFT in my opinion was not thought out very well and was introduced too soon. I am sure that they will get this sorted out and a new revamped system will be introduced in the next generation of the Ford products. In regards to the lawsuit this is a make money scheme and will probably produce gret benefits for the lawyers. After all it is one of the biggest complaints by the customers since it appeared.

^ you found MFT confusing? I think you better stick to Hyundai!

The only thing I like about Uconnect is the responsiveness of the screen. I find it to be overly cartoonish - especially the nav. And the fact you have to 'agree' to the legal mambo jumbo every time you start the vehicle would be an absolute deal breaker for me.

I, for one, hope they don't dumb down MFT more than they already have. I love it!

• 1 year later...

My 2011 Edge MFT has not given me any problems. There were two or three times when it chose to reboot when I needed the review camera, but hey, I have been driving over 55 years and this is the only car I've had with a backup camera. The car I drive to work doesn't have one. So not a big deal.

Not a lot of experience yet. We have a '13 Fusion, got it in October of '14; and a '13 Edge that we just got in December of 14. So only a few months. Both cars with MFT & both have nav. Neither system has presented any problems. There is a learning curve, but after a week or so you should pretty much have it. I like the system overall. There are a few minor changes I would like but nothing that has be up in arms. For instance I would like each "click" on the audio volume to change the volume about half of what it does, so it would take 2 clicks to change the volume level the same as what one click does now. As I said, no big deal, just my personaI preference but I can certainly live with it (& not file a law suit). I am very impressed & pleased with the nav system.& would rate it excellent. I thought it would just be a big version of Google Maps, but I think it's actually better. Again, there could be more POI's, but not a big deal. Now who knows, one of our systems could act out anytime, but so far I am happy.

The problem I had with Ford was vehicle delivery, as in logistics. I ordered an Edge that didn't arrive, so after 12 weeks I gave up & found one on a dealer's lot. Ford was unable to tell me when my manufactured car that was sitting on their plant lot (2 1/2 hours from me) would arrive at my dealer. Now that's stupid. The MFT, that's been OK.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive had my 13 Edge w/ MFT & Nav for 10 days now and have it down. I feel its simple and works great for me. Learning curve? Sure there is, just like with any electronics, theres always going to be a learning curve. But I cant see why so many people are complaining. Edgy1 said the climate control was a nightmare and your niece had to pull over to turn the heat up? I dont get that at all. There is more than 1 place to control the climate. If she had to pull over to turn the heat up with MFT, it would have been just as hard for her with any car. I turn mine up and down with the steering wheel controls. Couldnt be simpler or safer. Maybe if i would have had it before the updates I would have been annoyed with some of the problems people claim to have. But think of how many cars rolled out with this system compared to how many people are complaining now. Vast minority have problems.

You wanna make yourself feel good about MFT....... then go get yourself a toyota with their bluetooth touch screen nav package, now thats absolute garbage. Had one for a week as a rental and MFT is a vast upgrade from that trash.

• Like 1

I have my complaints about the system, the edge and Ford in general. However, I see this from multiple viewpoints. When I look at it from my perspective, I’m disappointed because I was told by the salesman that new features were coming and now the system is now being replaced. I never got to see any more features than I had the day I drove it off the lot. I consider myself a power user of anything I own and always want more, so it will never satisfy me. So, I’m disappointed but it doesn’t warrant a lawsuit.

Now there are those that say this only occurs in 1 in 1000. That may be the case, but how many of the owners actually take the time to learn how to use all the features. My mother who is over 70 and just wants a car with NAV will only use NAV. She doesn’t care about text message read back, getting weather reports or storing music on the hard drive. Therefore, there is a chance that these problems are far more prevalent than we think and the system just isn’t being fully utilized to bring them to the forefront.

And then there’s those who are really pissed and want to trade-up or out of Ford for more stable systems that have better features but can’t because the vehicle has been depreciated as a result of the numerous complaints and media attention. In this case, I could see the need for a class action lawsuit. If nothing more the owner should be reimbursed for the difference between the current value and the value it would have if the system performed better. Now who determines what that value would have been is beyond me. Value is something that varies based on many factors, time, place, mileage, personal preference, and demand.

• 2 weeks later...

How do it go about finding out the version of the MFT on my 2011 limited? And how do i upgrade it? Cost? etc. New to this and now I have a steep learning curve to go through in order to show the wife how it all works. Hoping I can at least pair up her phone without much effort.

I can see I have some work to do. The used car dealer had no clue on what to do with the MFT so I guess I need to register it to be able to access some assistance. Not sure if the new car dealers will be of any assistance minus $$$$ since I did not buy it from them. Should be interesting but beneficial once I figure it out. Wife said the back up camera did not display but I bet she was looking back and not paying attention out of habit.

I have a 2012 Edge with MFT and Nav. I have had the edge for just over a year and it has rebooted at startup(maintenance) twice. I have had no other issues. Everything works great. Smooth flow of the screen. I would rate it at a 8 out of 10 only because the lack of Applications that had been promised. I would much rather have a stable system than one with apps that crashes. Pandora app would be nice. Maybe they could allow use of one uploaded application if the system could handle it. I look at MFT like learning a new software program. When I switched from my iPhone to a Android phone it took me longer to adjust than with MFT. Even with the touch buttons on the dash I never have issues. I can even use them with my gloves on. I just wish my heated seat controls were available on all the screens(Nav, Entertainment, Phone). Maybe Ford could do this with the next update. HINT, HINT FORD.

Edited by CinnamonEdge
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The few times I wanted to set a destination, the letters / numbers screen which pops up has the letters / numbers I want not visible. True I never read the manual on how to use it, lol, but really I have no need for the Nav system where the wife is crazy about it and knows how to use it well even when she goes around the corner for groceries!