How is wifi used

I have a 2013 Edge and am wondering how the wifi is supposed to be used. I guess the wifi is a little misleading. I assume after

looking around that is needs an air card type usb attached and not an actual wifi from a home or other similar place, or maybe

your cell phone as the way to attach it. Cannot find anything in detail.

Had an online chat session with Ford site and said there is a known issue with the log in of password for wifi ( it will not allow you to put in letters only numbers). Also said update out in a few weeks.

Maybe I just don't get it....Any suggestions. Wondering why we would need it in the car and what to use for if you have a smartphone.

smh

• 2 weeks later...

Wi-Fi been discussed a lot in past 3 years since MFT/MLT was launched. Short version- not much.

Had potential but Ford never partnered with 3rd parties to make a compatible plug in type usb Wi-Fi service and there have been many, many, did I say many? reports of when people have tried with some type of plug in card ----it states not compatible!!!

The web browser that was shown at auto shows never made it to a production model.

And yes Most phone carriers restrict a phone from tethering or creating a hot spot unless you pay $20+ or much more extra a month or are forced to join their mega plan. If you do that- your phone is the hotspot so you do not need to bring sync into the mix say if you wanted your kids to use wifi on a tablet or ipod or something like that through your phones data plan.

• 1 year later...

The other day I used the wireless internet and connected to my home wifi while in the driveway and wondering the same thing. So my car is connected to wifi, now what?

From the previous posts, sounds like it the feature was created but Ford never followed through and it's basically useless?