Braking

I've noticed that when my Edge is cold (first thing in the morning or when leaving work in the afternoon) the first couple times I apply the brakes, as it comes almost to a stop and apply a bit more pressure to the brakes, there is a grinding sound coming from the front brakes, almost like its a sheared brake pad, but later down the road after it warms up, nothing; smooth stops and no grinding noise.

Anybody else experienced this? I haven't tried painting the calipers yet... :headscratch:

• 4 weeks later...

Mine has started to do it also. Not related to surface rust as it happened to the wife after a 30 mile mountain drive. I thought she was confused until it happened to me yesterday. I'm thinking that it may be brake pad glaze setting up a vibration in just the front drivers side only! ?

Please advise if anyone has found a real cause. Sounds almost like you have gravel under a locked wheel.

Very intermitent at the moment.

Mine has started to do it also. Not related to surface rust as it happened to the wife after a 30 mile mountain drive. I thought she was confused until it happened to me yesterday. I'm thinking that it may be brake pad glaze setting up a vibration in just the front drivers side only! ?

Please advise if anyone has found a real cause. Sounds almost like you have gravel under a locked wheel.

Very intermitent at the moment.

Went to the dealer today and ask about this issue. He stated it is common and should eventually go away. He said that during the cool down after it's parked for a while, a film develops and that what it sounds like as it 'cleans' it off creating that grabbing, scraping sound.

I have almost 20,000 miles, and have never experienced any such noise. The dealer saying "It's common and should eventually go away" is basically a way of saying 'f*ck off, I don't want to deal with you, because I don't know a damn thing about what you are talking about.'

Ask him what kind of pictures you should have from the "developing film"...