New LED rear turn signal bulb doesn't seem to be working (2013 Edge Sport), help?

Hi,

I ordered myself one LED bulb for my tail light turn signal just to see how things go, if I like the way it looks I will be ordering a whole bunch of LEDs for the car.

I got this off CARiD.com

http://www.carid.com/2013-ford-edge-led-lights/lumen-led-lights-10271698.html

18-10-34%2007-21-27%20%D8%B5.jpg

18-10-34%2007-22-42%20%D8%B5.jpg

Im not really into modifications/wiring and all that stuff, all I wanted is some nice looking LEDs and I thought all I had to do is unplug the old bulb, slide in the new LED, screw everything back together

But it seems it's not going as I expected, it doesn't work at all and I don't know why

Is there something that needs to be done for this to work, or did I just get a defective bulb?

I would appreciate any help, here are some pics:

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

Edited by BlackEdition
  • Like 1

Don't know if that will make a difference, but you can try it. I am more inclined to thinking you have a bad LED unit, or simply not making a connection. You could use a digital multimeter to check this possibility, or perhaps hook the light directly to the battery. The electrical system on the Edge may be dicey.

Can you make precise measurements of the 3157 LED vs the 3757 incandescent? Maybe just need to file down the tabs on the LED bulb.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

It works perfectly on the front turn signals, but not the back, why is that? is there a difference between the front and rear ones?

Im sure that I ordered the one that's labeled "rear turn signals" as you can see here:

What should I do about this guys? I really want those LEDs.

BTW it looks very nice, I love it!

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1344.JPG

(LED is on the left)
It's hard to see the difference at daytime on the camera, but in reality it's easy to tell which is which.

Edited by BlackEdition
  • Like 1

Maybe you need to install resistors for the back? I don't know too much about them though.

From the LED information in your first post, it says the Amber selection is 30 Lumens. That isn't very bright. Are you sure you're going to be satisfied with those?

Resistors? Oh im not that good with electric stuff. Please tell me that there is another solution? otherwise im gonna have to cancel this whole idea (I want them so bad!)

Is there anybody here that has LED bulbs for his rear turn signals? any infos would be appreciated.

They seem bright to me at daytime, I might plug it in at night and see how bright it is.

I actually ordered 2 different bulbs, the one in the first post, and this one:

19-10-34%2010-19-02%20%D8%B5.jpg

I wanted to compare the two and see which one looks better, but this one I waited for over a month for them to ship it, I got tired of that and canceled the order...

I might re-order one again and compare the two, but if anyone has a video/pic comparison for them, I would love to see.

Q: Aren't they a bit expensive ($29.95)? or is it normal for those kind of LED bulbs? or maybe just a high quality brand called Lumen®?

Edited by BlackEdition

For actually really bright LEDs, you are going to pay more. IMO, $30 is really cheap. If I was going to buy good quality LEDs for turn signals, I personally would look at shelling out close to $100. 30 Lumens is on the low side for brightness during the day time. Those will stand out at night though.

I can't see the picture you posted above, do you have a link to the lights?

• Like 1

For actually really bright LEDs, you are going to pay more. IMO, $30 is really cheap. If I was going to buy good quality LEDs for turn signals, I personally would look at shelling out close to $100. 30 Lumens is on the low side for brightness during the day time. Those will stand out at night though.

I can't see the picture you posted above, do you have a link to the lights?

They are both on the same link, both Amber, you just have to click on "Please Select Options".

One is 30 lumens (the one I already have)

The other one is 320 lumens (the one I was talking about before).

30 vs 320 lumens? im afraid it's going to be TOO bright. Any ideas?

I have replaced all front and rear signal bulbs with LED equivalents. Cellbine is correct - the cheap bulbs don't do a good job of improving visibility over stock incandescent bulbs. Beyond that, different reflectors work better with different bulb types. For the '11+ Edge, I've found that the high wattage bulbs such as those "PlaZma" ones you found work well in the front but not as well in the back. The reflector of the rear turn signals works much better with multi-element LED bulbs such as the 45 SMD tower bulbs available at superbrightleds.com - they fill out the lens with a solid light that has a slightly sparkling effect because of all the individual LEDs.

Resistors are not necessary to make the LED bulbs work... they are necessary only to keep the turn signals from "hyper-flashing" to indicate a burned out bulb. However, I have found that the rear socket electrical contacts are not as tight as the front sockets. I had to bend the wire contacts on the LED bulbs outward to ensure good contact with the socket to get them to light up reliably.

You can buy LED bulbs with resistors built-in or you can buy higher power bulbs that draw enough current to fool the flasher module without requiring resistors. In either case, they are going to be much more expensive than $30 (mine cost $30 EACH and I have paid $50 each in the past). Otherwise, you will have to add resistors to prevent the "hyper-flashing".

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I finally received this one today:

19-10-34%2010-19-02%20%D8%B5.jpg

It looks much better on the front signals, but unfortunately it still doesn't work on the tail lights

Tomorrow morning I will try what TheWizard said, bending the contacts on the LED, and hope that'll do the job.

The good thing is, they both work perfectly, no hyper flashing! and according to the website, it has built in resistors:

bulb-6.jpg

CANBUS Compatible

Properly equipped with load resistors, Lumen LEDs will not interfere with CAN Bus data systems on modern vehicles so equipped.

Edited by BlackEdition

• 1 year later...

Once again Mr. Wizard has saved my day, and came through with very valuable information. I may change my screen name, because I may not live up to it... LOL!

I bought these LEDs from E-bay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/191263581001?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and as the original poster stated they did not turn on. after reading this post I bent the contacts of the bulb out a little, and wah-lah! They work. I do notice that they are not as bright as the stock bulbs, so I will switch them out for some brighter ones when I get a chance.

I am happy to report that even though I needed to install resistors for the front switchbacks to work with out hyper flashing, after installing the rears I still have no hyper flash even with out rear resistors.

I did buy enough resistors to install them in the rear, so if anyone needs them, I have a set of 6olm 50 watt resistors up for grabs.

Thanks WIZ!

It works perfectly on the front turn signals, but not the back, why is that? is there a difference between the front and rear ones?

Im sure that I ordered the one that's labeled "rear turn signals" as you can see here:

What should I do about this guys? I really want those LEDs.

BTW it looks very nice, I love it!

IMG_1351.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1344.JPG

(LED is on the left)

It's hard to see the difference at daytime on the camera, but in reality it's easy to tell which is which.

Awesome Pictures! What camera are you using?

Once again Mr. Wizard has saved my day, and came through with very valuable information. I may change my screen name, because I may not live up to it... LOL!

I bought these LEDs from E-bay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/191263581001?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and as the original poster stated they did not turn on. after reading this post I bent the contacts of the bulb out a little, and wah-lah! They work. I do notice that they are not as bright as the stock bulbs, so I will switch them out for some brighter ones when I get a chance.

I am happy to report that even though I needed to install resistors for the front switchbacks to work with out hyper flashing, after installing the rears I still have no hyper flash even with out rear resistors.

I did buy enough resistors to install them in the rear, so if anyone needs them, I have a set of 6olm 50 watt resistors up for grabs.

Thanks WIZ!

I suggest checking out Dan's LEDs:

http://drivebright.com

I switched to the kit he sells (Full LED tail lights + front LED turn signals + bright xenon looking reverse LEDs) and they're working perfectly, no complaints at all!

Awesome Pictures! What camera are you using?

Canon T3i.

Edited by BlackEdition

@BlackEdition can you post a picture with your plasma amber installed ? Thanks a lot !

I ditched the ones mentioned in this thread. I bought these instead:

http://drivebright.com/home/shop/font-rear-led-bulb-pack-headlight-tail-light-turn-signal-and-reverse-lamps/

These are brighter and much better looking! the build quality isn't that great compared to the PlaZma ones, but they're still awesome.