Bad water pump

bapierce

I just bought a used a 2007 lincoln MKX less than a month ago. I was driving home and it started overheating so I pulled over and it was leaking coolant. Got it towed home and looked at it the next day and all the coolant had drained out. I put water back into the radiator and right away the water started leaking out on the front passengers side. I turned the engine on and I can hear the water pump whining like the bearing is going bad. My question is if it was a bad water pump that was leaking would water be able to leak out of the front engine cover? Or is it more likely the head gasket blew and it has an external coolant leak. After running it for a little bit water started getting into the oil and the water that was leaking out had oil in it too. I'm just hoping its just the water pump and not also a bad head gasket.

• 2 weeks later...

So i got the timing cover off, the water pump put a hole in the timing cover. When I pulled the timing cover off the timing chain slipped off the water pump pulley messing up the timing. Does anyone know how to set up the primary timing? It says in the repair manual there should be 3 timing marks on the timing chain to line up but I only see one on the chain.

Edit: Pulled the timing chain and it does have timing marks, 2 that are black that I couldn't see with it on. Got the new water pump on and the timing chain back on with the timing marks inline. Will take picks of the what the pump did to the timing cover and what the bad water pump looks like

Edited by bapierce

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

bapierce and daveknapp2000. I would have sent you both notes directly, but I do not have enough posts on the forum.

I have the smell of the impending coolant leak from my water pump. The coolant level is dropping in the reservoir but I have nothing on the floor, yet.

The replacement part is not expensive, but it does look like a time consuming project.

You both did this DIY. How did it go, got any pointers ?

Where can I find a good schematic of the front of the engine so I can identify what I am taking off to get at the water pump ?

Sorta bummed that this happened after 47k miles. They have already replaced the battery (2 weeks old), PTO seal and front wheel bearing under warranty.

2010 SEL AWD. I love the vehicle, just allot to go bad on a $37k car with under 50k miles on it.

You can reach me at lacrosse2008 at comcast.net.

Thanks in advance

Chris

• 2 years later...

well I have just completed the task of changing out the water pump, timing chains, and plugs, coil packs. figured I am in it this far.

The 2 parts that were the hardest was to remove the top bolt on the power steering pump and pulling out the front plate.

I went and purchased the steel plates that lock up the valve timing. money well worth spending, never have to worry about anything moving while you replace all 3 timing chains. I replaced all valve cover gaskets as well as the intake gaskets, the car is 2008 with 350000+ km on the car.

Make sure you clean both sides of the front plate as this only gets a thin film of silicone, and this is not your ordinary silicone. make sure you use the correct one that states for engines and is oil resistant.

Took about 20-25 hours for myself to do it.

You will need to get a harmonic balance puller, harmonic balance installer. I did not want to hammer the harmonic balance back on.

I also went through 4 cans of break cleaner to get rid of all the oil/fumes off the parts. found the oil pan has some dead spots where there is lots of gunk sitting in the corners.

There is a great video you can watch, its a two part. This is for the Ford Flex but its the same engine,

Part 1:

Part 2:

Steve

Edited by Shanker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1